• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha R-8 Receiver -- Cure for Alzheimer's

Defeño

Active Member
Today I cured my Yamaha R8 Receiver's Alzheimer's. It was incredibly easy, and if your R-8 or similar receiver keeps forgetting its presets, you can cure Alzheimer's too.

By way of background, this receiver was made during the 1980's so surviving examples are getting long in the tooth. My own came from a friend who had found it at a yard sale about 5 years ago. Though it looks a little worse for wear, it worked fine. (Except for the fact that the flap that covers the front panel controls refuses to stay shut. If anyone knows a fix for this, please comment.) Most importantly, it had a set of presets for radio stations, and would remember your selection after the power was cycled. Not long ago, the receiver developed Alzheimer's and every time I turned it on, I'd have to re-tune the radio station. Not a biggie, but kind of a nuisance.

But like all nuisances, it finally motivated me to do something, so I figured I'd pop off the cover and look for a small mercury battery, which is frequently used for such circumstances. But I was frustrated to find no such thing. So I resigned myself to simply re-tuning my favorite radio station every time I turned on the unit. It was a minor annoyance, but otherwise the receiver continued to work well. Recently I decided to do a bit more research and I discovered that instead of using a small battery to remember the presets, Yamaha had elected to use a supercapacitor instead. The same site explained that the supercapacitor was installed on the board that controls the presets, etc.

The supercapacitor in question is a 0.047 F @ 5.5V (or 47 mF @ 5.5 V) component, and I easily located one on eBay. With shipping, it set me back $6.00USD. This morning, I installed it. Surprisingly, it it was incredibly easy and only took about 20 minutes, and I didn't even have to remove the circuit board. What follows is a step-by-step set of instructions so you can do the same. If you have the most basic soldering skills, and are careful, I believe that virtually anyone could complete this repair.

IMG_5837 R-8 With Cover LowRes.jpg

Step 1: Remove the top cover and locate the capacitor.
The top cover is held in place by 4 screws on the sides and two on the back.
The capacitor sits on the preset control board. Facing the receiver, this board is on the right side of the receiver and parallel to the floor. The capacitor sits on the left edge of this board, about half of the way toward the back.

IMG_5838 SuperCap Location LowRes.jpg IMG_5839 Supercap Closeup LowRes.jpg


Step 2: Remove the bottom panel
This is held on by about 9 screws. Once you have this panel off, locate the capacitor's two pins and also carefully note the orientation of your existing capacitor. In my case, the capacitor had a stripe on one side which corresponds to the ground side of the capacitor. You can tell which side of the capacitor is ground because it's attached to (or part of) the outside housing of the cap. (Not to be confused with the shrink-wrap cover.) Using either solder wick or a solder sucker (what I used) de-solder the capacitor.

IMG_5841 Where to Unsolder Supercap.jpg IMG_5843 Closeup of Supercap.jpg

Step 3: Replace the capacitor
Install your new capacitor making sure that the ground side of the new capacitor is in the same position as the old one was. In my case, the ground side of the cap was the striped side, and this was the same for both old and new. On my receiver the ground side was facing the right side of the receiver as seen from the front.

Step 4: Reassemble and enjoy getting your receiver's memory back!

Schematic of the relevant board:
R8 Schematic - Partial rZ8nsnU.png


Cheers,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where it's great to be home again with our own nice stereo setup.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have two of these receivers, Elna supercap from Digikey and a handful of caps to replace the dried out originals. The plastic hinge clips that hold the door are prone to breaking. One of mine is fine the other door broken, no fix that I can figure. Not a bad receiver in my opinion, gets no love here because of the many IC's inside. Tuner is very good if you listen to FM.
 
Thanks for the comment. I'm happy with mine, but it's in the kitchen, mainly used for listening to news and occasionally CDs via a Discman. So I'm not holding it to a super-high standard. Also it was given to me by a friend who paid almost nothing for it at a yard sale, with a decent pair of Infinity tower speakers. That said, it sounds pretty nice. Some day I ought to hook it up to my good speakers and see what it can do. As for replacing other caps, I thought about it, but frankly the sound is fine, and now that the memory is working again, I'm quite happy with it. Cheers!

Kim G
 
Thanks! The one on my R-9 is dead and I even have the replacement. I should swap it out someday. It is not so bad because as long as I only power down with the remote it will stay in standby and keep the presets. Also I really only listen to one station 99% of the time.
 
I have two R-9. The one that remembers the stations blew up on me a few months ago. I have not got around to figuring out why. The one that works forgets its settings when powered off. I have the supercap replacement. I just need to install it. I don't listen to FM, so I do not care about the presets. But it powers up in Class A mode, which I prefer not to use in my garage. :D
 
@RTally Replacing that cap, if it's anything like the R-8 is INCREDIBLY easy. I didn't have to remove the circuit board, just the bottom and top covers. Go for it!

Cheers,
Kim
 
Can you run the R9 without speakers with the speaker (A, B etc) push switches all off? I think you can. Had to disconnect it to change the memory cap. Want to test it upstairs. If not, I'll just return it to downstairs and connect the speakers.Just want to see if it retains my staions now. Don't need to listen to them. This sucker is heavy when you're waiting for hip surgery...:)
 
Today I cured my Yamaha R8 Receiver's Alzheimer's. It was incredibly easy, and if your R-8 or similar receiver keeps forgetting its presets, you can cure Alzheimer's too.

By way of background, this receiver was made during the 1980's so surviving examples are getting long in the tooth. My own came from a friend who had found it at a yard sale about 5 years ago. Though it looks a little worse for wear, it worked fine. (Except for the fact that the flap that covers the front panel controls refuses to stay shut. If anyone knows a fix for this, please comment.) Most importantly, it had a set of presets for radio stations, and would remember your selection after the power was cycled. Not long ago, the receiver developed Alzheimer's and every time I turned it on, I'd have to re-tune the radio station. Not a biggie, but kind of a nuisance.

But like all nuisances, it finally motivated me to do something, so I figured I'd pop off the cover and look for a small mercury battery, which is frequently used for such circumstances. But I was frustrated to find no such thing. So I resigned myself to simply re-tuning my favorite radio station every time I turned on the unit. It was a minor annoyance, but otherwise the receiver continued to work well. Recently I decided to do a bit more research and I discovered that instead of using a small battery to remember the presets, Yamaha had elected to use a supercapacitor instead. The same site explained that the supercapacitor was installed on the board that controls the presets, etc.

The supercapacitor in question is a 0.047 F @ 5.5V (or 47 mF @ 5.5 V) component, and I easily located one on eBay. With shipping, it set me back $6.00USD. This morning, I installed it. Surprisingly, it it was incredibly easy and only took about 20 minutes, and I didn't even have to remove the circuit board. What follows is a step-by-step set of instructions so you can do the same. If you have the most basic soldering skills, and are careful, I believe that virtually anyone could complete this repair.

View attachment 1550294

Step 1: Remove the top cover and locate the capacitor.
The top cover is held in place by 4 screws on the sides and two on the back.
The capacitor sits on the preset control board. Facing the receiver, this board is on the right side of the receiver and parallel to the floor. The capacitor sits on the left edge of this board, about half of the way toward the back.

View attachment 1550292 View attachment 1550293


Step 2: Remove the bottom panel
This is held on by about 9 screws. Once you have this panel off, locate the capacitor's two pins and also carefully note the orientation of your existing capacitor. In my case, the capacitor had a stripe on one side which corresponds to the ground side of the capacitor. You can tell which side of the capacitor is ground because it's attached to (or part of) the outside housing of the cap. (Not to be confused with the shrink-wrap cover.) Using either solder wick or a solder sucker (what I used) de-solder the capacitor.

View attachment 1550295 View attachment 1550296

Step 3: Replace the capacitor
Install your new capacitor making sure that the ground side of the new capacitor is in the same position as the old one was. In my case, the ground side of the cap was the striped side, and this was the same for both old and new. On my receiver the ground side was facing the right side of the receiver as seen from the front.

Step 4: Reassemble and enjoy getting your receiver's memory back!

Schematic of the relevant board:
View attachment 1550301


Cheers,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where it's great to be home again with our own nice stereo setup.

Good morning,
I just replaced mine about 2 days ago.It went well.I have a issue now with my FM totally going silent ( no white noise at all) then after it cools down it comes back.
Thinking its the LC7210 in your picture from the threads I have seen.
 
@Audi2014

I just saw your comment. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more than the most basic of suggestions to you. But, I would look for random blobs of solder that might have gotten into some place where they don't below. Also check the connector at the edge of the LC7210. You might also check for a loose (free) screw. If you turn over the unit in a quiet area, listen for something inside. Otherwise, I'm sorry that I don't have any other suggestions. So your FM only works when the unit is cool? Hmmm... I'll think about it, but there are way more knowledgeable electronics guys on this forum than me.

Cheers,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where I'm working on installing some new power outlets.
 
Good morning,
I just replaced mine about 2 days ago.It went well.I have a issue now with my FM totally going silent ( no white noise at all) then after it cools down it comes back.
Thinking its the LC7210 in your picture from the threads I have seen.

I would look more toward cracked solder joints over bad components. Most times when an IC dies, it's dead. It typically won't come back with a temperature change. Cracked solder joints many times respond to temperature changes.
 
Back
Top Bottom