• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

yamahs ca 810

georgedannyg

Well-Known Member
hi guys i just bought a yamaha ca 810 off of ebay and tuner i was wondering how this amp sounds and what you all think about this amp
 
Register to hide this ad
I have had a Yamaha CA-810 amp since new in 1978. I still love it. If you're into vinyl, it has an excellent phono section. It's a very solid amp with plenty of power (for my house...um, well...and dorm rooms in the 1970s!).

I found AK looking for how to replace the meter lamps and clean-up the static in my tone controls. Been here ever since.

Enjoy it! :music:
 
Very nice amp. Plenty of power, easy to adjust sound how you like it, nice look with VU's. Quite a good amp that runs without problems. Don't use the "class A" switch, it is useless, the amp will get 140 degrees in no time and you'll get 10 Watts/channel.

I like these Yammies, CA 610, 800, 810, 1010... Good years of Yamaha ! Nice buy !
 
Don't use the "class A" switch, it is useless, the amp will get 140 degrees in no time and you'll get 10 Watts/channel.
Horsecrap..When used with efficient speakers 10 watts is plenty of power..Yes it will run hot..Its class "A" its designed to run hot.But will sound like heaven..Just Don't switch from class"A" to class"AB" or vice-versa with power applied this tends to put overwhelming current on switch or relay contacts.
 
Horsecrap..When used with efficient speakers 10 watts is plenty of power..Yes it will run hot..Its class "A" its designed to run hot.But will sound like heaven..Just Don't switch from class"A" to class"AB" or vice-versa with power applied this tends to put overwhelming current on switch or relay contacts.

I meant there is no noticeable difference between Class A or AB running this Yammy ... I know it's same for other yammy owners.
 
On the Yamaha CA 800 and 810 there is an "operation" switch in the middle of the unit. I don't know if other manufacturers offered this feature.

Resolution is too low to show. But in the middle bottom is a regular switch for class A.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 52
On the Yamaha CA 800 and 810 there is an "operation" switch in the middle of the unit. I don't know if other manufacturers offered this feature.

Resolution is too low to show. But in the middle bottom is a regular switch for class A.
That switch isn't on my CA-810. Maybe I have an earlier or later version...or there's some confusion about the 810.
Pic grabbed from internet.
 

Attachments

  • yam.jpg
    yam.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 42
Oups, sorry maybe it isn't on CA 810... Long time I haven't seen one... Sorry !

But it's on a CA 1010... Maybe you have a later version ?
 
Nope guess not.... 810 reguardless of class A still is a dandy sounding amplifier..
 
On the CA-810 I believe they call it the "Mode Switch" for switching from A to AB.

Mode switch is for stereo/mono. No switch labeled "operation" on mine. Again, could be a different version. This is the only Yammy setup I've owned. Paging Merrylander...
Georgedannyg, if you're keeping the amp, it has a super matching tuner, the CT-810. Suggest you look into it.:thmbsp:
 
No "Class A" on the CA-810. Nonetheless, it is a fine amp.
I've owned its little sibling, CA-610II, since it was new (and I was much, much younger).

P1020541.jpg


The CT-810 is nothing special, but it's perfectly OK and should sound pretty good.
 
After posting I looked at the owners manual,,,,,No class A:no: ..Sweet looking units though.. That is a "variable loudness " control isn't it? Another sweet feature..
 
Well, no need .... Like I said, not much difference in my ( and some of my friends ) opinion. Maybe that's why they got rid of it ? It still a very nice and very powerfull amp.

ANd what I like with these Yamaha integrated, you can get the exact level you want to hear; the volume slowly increments so you can get exactly the level you want. Some others, like my Reference 650 FET-R, at the second clic volume is too low and the third, way too high ... Very anoying !

Very nice looking amp, specially with the VU's .
 
Class A operation was available on the CA-800, 1000, 1010 and 2010. Also CA-1000 II and CA-1000 III in Japan.

This does not mean the 810 is not a nice amp. My CR-1000 is basically a CA-1000 without the class A but with an added FM tuner and it is lovely.
 
yamaha ca 810

thanks guys it should be here some time next week when i go to check it out how do you set the bias and dc off set
 
What people sometimes forget of have not experienced is that during the Cn-nnnn days of Yamaha the receivers were essentially the seperates in a single chassis. I have seen enough of both cross my bench to know this. Frex, as Raynald noted the CR-1000 uses the same power amp circuit as the CA-1000 but leaves off the Class A operation. If the powere supply had been capable of the lowere Class A B+ voltage it would only have needed two discrete parts on the amp board.
 
It would need the power transformer from a CA-1000 along with a relay and somewhere to hide a switch. It would need to be a really badly messed up CA-1000 before I would sacrifice one.
 
Back
Top Bottom