• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

You gotta start somewhere

dfinn

Active Member
I think I'm off to an OK start. I like it anyways and that's all that counts.

I picked up this SX-850 and speakers from the original owner a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. This is my first vintage setup and really my first decent stereo setup. He bought it while he was in the service in Japan and had taken extremely good care of it, both the receiver and speakers are pristine, hardly a scratch on either.
50611575798_eae70b7cd7_b.jpg


I put new LEDs in and cleaned all the pots/switches with deoxit
50612322601_b5470fd937_b.jpg


Based on some things I read on here I told him I didn't actually want the speakers (Pioneer CS-811A) but he said it was a package deal, all or nothing. I did some negotiating and made it worth my time to take the speakers off his hands even if I wasn't sure I wanted them.
50612323251_0527f208be_b.jpg


They actually sound really good to my ears. I'm not sure yet if I will keep them. My long term goal is to get some Zu Dirty Weekends, I'm hoping to get in on the next round but for now this is working really well.
50612433352_9693de480a_b.jpg


Just a temporary location until we remodel our living room and kitchen and then they will get a more permanent home.

You can also see in the picture the Arylic S50 Pro which I'm using for streaming. Most of my music comes from Spotify and then some local public radio on FM while I make breakfast in the mornings.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yeah you are doing nicely with that system. Some poo-poo those speakers but they aren’t that bad at all. You will of course notice improvements with better ones but that never changes. The 850 is iconic and should keep you happy.
 
I've got an order in on the next round of Zu Dirty Weekends but those are a couple of months out.

To hold me over I found a pretty good deal on a mint set of Polk Monitor 10Bs last night.
50730874877_1ddb488314_b.jpg


These were an incredible upgrade over the CS-811s, especially for only $150. I can see why people have such a liking for these. Compared to the CS-811s they have cleaner, tighter bass and a very smooth high end. If you're just starting out it seems like these would be worth keeping an eye out for, I'm thinking I may be holding onto these for a while.

Currently listening to some Clapton and these are super fun speakers, very energetic.
 
Made some changes and recently leaned something that most of you probably already know. I thought Spotify sounded pretty good. I added a CDP and did some A/B testing and Spotify does not sound very good at all. ;)

A Sony DVP-S7700 showed up on our local classifieds for $25. I jumped on it and got to it before anyone else. It sounded good on it's own but yesterday I added a Schiit Modi 3+, attached via some Blue Jeans coax and RCAs into the Pioneer.

50829091752_abf54df2e1_b.jpg


Now that I have more than 1 component I need to figure out a better table or cabinet.
 
I'm jealous of the Polk's, I really want a set of the 10b's but they just never come up for sale over in the UK.

Great vintage setup, into it!
 
Oh, totally forgot about those. I now have 2 sets of them (for now). Another local set came up for sale, brand new, in the box with stands. I really just wanted the stands but for the price (same as I paid for the first set) I just grabbed the speakers too.

50802540122_c582ff919b_b.jpg


pictured with old DVD player before I found the Sony and got the DAC
 
That 850 is gorgeous. Vintage speakers are typically where I get off the vintage boat, but those look like they were frozen in time!
 
I've been vinyl curious for a little bit. A Technics SL-B2 showed up locally and it was a pretty good deal, also included a nice yamaha amp. After some issues with the phono switches on the 850 (deoxit to the rescue!) it's sounding really good.

50878296482_046964f8fe_b.jpg
 
Liking this quick journey from nada to now a third set of speakers, two turntables and more electronics than the stand can hold. Great comment about the 2nd set of Polks, wanted stands, speakers so cheap, just bought em.

As to the difference between the Pio speakers and the Polks having a very smooth high end, that silver tweeter is bettered by the replacement, the 194, I think. It would be worth it if you were to keep them but you have been on such a shopping spree that maybe you'll find better speakers soon enough anyway.

What is the cartridge number on you new table, the 1650? Looks like an Ortofon OM something.
 
Heck we haven't seen you ads or the A25s yet.

I was given a pair of big Sansuis like yours, different model. They are speaker stands in my opinion until I can find them a home. Upright for small boo shelf speakers, on their sides for nice bigger boxes or Dahlquist DQ-10s and facedown for Time Windows. Nice and versatile and we don't have to listen to them.
 
Back
Top Bottom