• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your favorite "little" receiver ever?

Sansui Louie said:
My first: Pioneer SX-424. 15 wpc. Beautiful, warm. Would love to find another.

My second: Technics SA-5170. 25 wpc, the college workhorse.

Damn Louie!! I had a shot at one just two weeks ago, decent shape, needed one knob. Twenty bucks.... Passed, I'll keep my eyes open for you!!

Ron
 
My favorite little, well..... Sperates set-up, I know it's not a receiver, but it's my favorite. My Technics Micro System. It has a pre-amp, tuner, and two, that's right two amps, and it's 7-1/2" tall, 8-1/4" deep, and 11-1/2" wide. 40 wpc, and built like a brick shithouse!! Sounds remarkable!!

Ron
 
Well I will throw in my favorite 'small' receiver. Not really all that small in weight but at 50wpc, that became small power in the later 70s watt wars.

So for the best all time small, weighing in at 50 wpc, receiver ever made I present you with the......hold for it.......

The Marantz Model 19.... At $1,000 list in 1969 it didn't carry a small price but it did allow Marantz to put a ton of mass in a smaller box and a scope display as well as the solid state version of the 10B tuner, the 20B.


Lefty
 
I have a little Sansui 2000a that looks like it just came out of the box. I love that little thing. It sounds sweet too. I have it set up in my daughter's room with a pair of Polk S8s. It really sounds good. Sometimes I find myself sitting in her playhouse listening to the tuner. Yeah, I look funny, but it's a great souding set up.

Probably a better set up that I have on the shelf right now is a Technics SE-A808 amp and ST-K808 Tuner/Pre. Very small but pretty cool set from the 80s.

Take care,

Ed

Take care,

Ed
 
For sound from a slightly smaller box, the Hitachi SR-6010 Dynaharmony. When you go above a specific volume stop -boom, lots of punch and presence. (35 RMS Class G.).

Sentimental favorite would be the SX-780 my mom purchased for us in '78, but the most interesting and astounding thing I've ever seen in small design, style, build quality, and advanced features has to be the Fisher 160-T, from, undoubtedly,..... '67. :) (Great with headphones, but I've not found the correct speakers for it yet.). -sf

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • b5_1.jpg
    b5_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
Marantz 2220(no B)

Another vote for the diminutive (in power only) little receiver that could...but its one heavy SOB...a
 
I don't have any of them at the moment (correction, I do have a friend's CR-220 here) but I was always impressed with any of the smaller Yamahas, at one time I was even driving the shop Advents with a CR-240. Yamaha seemed to manage to get the same sound across the lineup, simply adding more features and power as you go up the line. As YB-2 noted, the Sonys were badly under-rated and were much better than the reception they were given. The Marantz 2230 that I recently restored was also a sweet sounding unit.
 
Wayne, you and I have a similar affliction. The 6060FW is the only receiver I have running. It is now over a year in the same setup with only very minor swapouts and looks like it will be in the system at least until I get the STR 6120F at some time in the future. It is a sweet unit.
 
First time post, long time lurker (3 weeks)....

I second the Sansui 2000a...picked one up at Salvation Army on Monday for $20.00. DeOxit, new lamps, some cosmetic cleanup make it look and sound great. My 7 year old son is enamored with it.

Went back to Salvation Army today and picked up some Pinnacle PH2's for $6.00. The combo sounds great in my home office. Listening to a Chesky produced BMW sampler CD as I write this....amazing production. Up there with the Telarc recordings.
 
My first choice is my Marantz 2215B, just an amazing little amp. The next would be a recently aquired Marantz 2230.....
 
Last edited:
bolly said:
mine is my Marantz 2220B(20wpc), with woodcase. :)
:tresbon: I have had my 2220B since 1975, and it powered my music love through high school, college, grad and law school and the first few years of married life. What a performer. For my 30th birthday (longer ago than I wish to admit) my wife bought me a McIntosh 4300V, but the 2200B still powers my second system down in the basement. Bought an old wood case for it on eBay last year and it looks great. I hope to send my son off to college with it 9 years from now (I plan to keep my kids out of the iPod community as song as possible! :thmbsp: ).
 
chathamdad said:
:tresbon: I have had my 2220B since 1975, and it powered my music love through high school, college, grad and law school and the first few years of married life. What a performer. For my 30th birthday (longer ago than I wish to admit) my wife bought me a McIntosh 4300V, but the 2200B still powers my second system down in the basement. Bought an old wood case for it on eBay last year and it looks great. I hope to send my son off to college with it 9 years from now (I plan to keep my kids out of the iPod community as song as possible! :thmbsp: ).

chathamdad,

Nice history there. I can't see of any reason to get rid of my 2220B. The only thing would be to gift it to family or friend.

Your son will have a pretty sweet setup. Hopefully it will turn some other people onto the nice sound. :thmbsp:

Paul
 
Can I sneak an Integrated in here? Realistic SA-1000.

This is a great thread. As I was reading, I started thinking about my old first amp bought back in the 70's (can't remember exactly when :scratch2: ). Only put it out to pasture a few years ago. Well, I went to the basement and brought it back upstairs and spent the weekend cleaning it up and putting the lemon oil on it's dried out hide.

Been trying it out on the Mach 2's and HPM-60's - man, it sounds better than the Denon AVR. Consensus all around the house....cleaner sound, voice comes through nicely. It seems more accurate throughout the freq range. Huh! 30 years old. Checked DC offset, all channels around 5 mV.

The Machs are a fantastic fit for this amp. Plenty of dB's and real easy to listen to.

Realistic SA-1000. 20-25 WPC. Lots of inputs, treble, mid and bass. Got some weight to it for the size. All wood cabinet, and appears like it's going to outlast me.

Definitely a sentimental favorite, but has sounded good enough to me to do up untill a few yaers ago when I got the bug to "do better" Maybe I haven't yet!
 

Attachments

  • Frt Vu 5 AFTR Oil.JPG
    Frt Vu 5 AFTR Oil.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 96
  • Frt Ortho 2 AFTR Oil.JPG
    Frt Ortho 2 AFTR Oil.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Rr View AFTR Cleanup.JPG
    Rr View AFTR Cleanup.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Top View Open Cab AFTR Cleanup.JPG
    Top View Open Cab AFTR Cleanup.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Wooden Cab Off 1.JPG
    Wooden Cab Off 1.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 45
Hmm,

I'll put in another vote for the Sansui 2000A (had one I sold to a friend) and the [basically] identical 2000X that I still have. Both are capable little amps with more punch than their stature would let on.

Also a shot out to Allied - model 490 [approx 25 WPC], was my first receiver given me by my Dad when I was about 10 or 11. He bought it new in 1971 or 72, worked great until a rotary switch went south. I had it in pieces for months hoping to fix it and then mom got tired of it sitting around and pitched it - made me sick. Luckily, I found another one in mint condition a few years later that I still hang onto for sentimental reasons.

I should also give special mention to the Sansui 5000 [55 WPC]. This was the receiver that truly started my interest in vintage. My dad bought it used in 1978 or 79 to replace a blown receiver I don't remember (I was only 4 or 5 years old!). I just remember being endlessly fascinated by the 5000, which at the time I perceived to be a huge beast of a receiver. Little did I know then that 15-20 years later I'd be in the elite company of 9090DB's and QRX-9001's. Wow.

There were many other small, but respectable units along the way. Some I miss, some I probably forgot. Sometimes I feel bad that my smaller boxes get neglected because I have so many heavy hitters in my collection. I definately need to make an effort to give the little guys more of a listen.

Kevin
 
I was given this back in 81/82 for my birthday.It's an Optonica SA-5203 receiver with optional cassette deck/turntable,still sounds excellent to this day.It would have to be my fave 'little' receiver,also a little sentimental.






paulb001-2.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Back
Top Bottom