• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your First Music Video???

JDaniel

Super Member
What was the first "MTV" type music video that you remember seeing?

I remember my first three videos, as I saw them all on the same night in 1981 (maybe 1980 or 1982?) on USA Network's Up All Night. This was a year or two before we had MTV.

They were:

The Talking Heads - Burning Down The House

Men At Work - Land Down Under

The Clash - Rock The Casbah


All three were cool videos. Kinda wish I had them on tape now.

Too bad MTV and others morphed into something unwatchable IMHO. In fact, I keep it blocked on my kids' tvs, as it is not something I want them to see. But I digress.

JD
 
Register to hide this ad
The first ones I rememeber precede MTV by a few Years. It was 1968 or 69. The video was made by the Beatles. The videos where of Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. I think they were shown on Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles had a couple more out shortly after that of Hey Jude and All You need Is Love. Jude had Timothy Leary and the Smothers Brothers in it singing back ground. I dont remember what show I saw this one on.
 
Geez, I can't even remember.

I grew up pre cable with Ed Sullivan, The Smothers Brothers and other 60's variety shows and then stuff like Wolfman Jack and the Midnight Special, and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Even SNL had some great acts back in the beginning.

So when was the first actual "video" I saw??

I fergit :dunno:
 
Last edited:
I was a little behind times here. I was started dating a girl uptown and they had cable tv, and I watched the vidio of Miss Cash singing runaway train,a couple others in a row were every rose has it's thorne,and when the children cry. I was blown away by it.Not to long after that I bought a satalite :D
 
Last edited:
Ah, Google is sooooo sweet.

Check out this link to Wikipedia:

Music Video

Here's a sample:

"In 1961 Ozzie Nelson filmed and edited the video of "Traveling Man" by his son Ricky Nelson. It featured images of various parts of the world mentioned in the Jerry Fuller song and Ricky singing. It is believed to be the very first rock video."
 
Fisher-Dave said:
I was a little behind times here. I was started dating a girl uptown and they had cable tv, and I watched the vidio of Miss Cash singing runawat train. I was blown away by it.Not to long after that I bought a satalite :D
Yepper. Rosanne Cash had several music videos played on MTV and VH1. Unthinkable in today's music enviroment.
 
Celt said:
Yepper. Rosanne Cash had several music videos played on MTV and VH1. Unthinkable in today's music enviroment.
Yeah,this is funny and I still get ragged for it.She was ready to go and I said not just yet,I'm watching this HOT ROD LINCOLN video.She said I needed to get out more often. :lmao:
 
One of the very best: A-ha, Take On Me. I think I still have it on videotape from NBC's Saturday Night Videos, if anyone remembers that show for those of us not blessed with cable TV.
Tom
 
The one I remember from the early days was this little girl-she looked to be 6,8 maybe all dolled up in Punk regalia, spiky hairdo, & in the video, they were destroying this piano. She was egging the others on, they took sledgehammers, chainsaws, the whole 9 yards to this piano. She had some sort of bizarro make-up on, kinda made her look like a raccoon. Very strange.
 
Sandy G said:
The one I remember from the early days was this little girl-she looked to be 6,8 maybe all dolled up in Punk regalia, spiky hairdo, & in the video, they were destroying this piano. She was egging the others on, they took sledgehammers, chainsaws, the whole 9 yards to this piano. She had some sort of bizarro make-up on, kinda made her look like a raccoon. Very strange.
You're probably thinking of Wendy O. Williams & The Plasmatics.
They accidentally set The Tonight Show stage on fire once. :lmao: She be dead now. :(
http://www.comnet.ca/~rina/plasmatics.html
 
No, tweren't Wendy O....I'm thinkin' The Art of Noise...but don't think it was them, either...Seems like there was a pig runnin' around, too...Y'all KNOW how them early-day videos were..full of Heavy Symbolism an' all... But what the hell a gawdam Pig & a ridiculous lookin' kid had to do w/anything was beyond me...
 
Other than what I saw on the boob toob, the first music video I saw was the DC5 doing Glad All Over and Bits & Pieces right before Goldfinger started :banana:

I*m in pieces, bits and pieces :D

It had quite an impact on me . . . and I'm still in pieces :yes:
 
Last edited:
Men Without Hat's"Safety Dance" & The Eurythmic's"Sweet Dreams".Both on a Friday Night Videos program.Very strange stuff for this pre-teen.Early 80's.

I had to ask friends if Annie Lenox(didn't know her name @ the time)was a boy or girl.

Thomas Dolby or Devo-I think one or the other was my first MTV played video.
 
Let me get into my Way Back Machine...way befor MTV...I remember

Rod Stewart and Stories - Brother Louie
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
Olivia Newton John - I Honestly Love You

Does Bing Crosby and Perry Como count?!
 
Probably The Records's "Starry Eyes", on some local station, about 1979. An almost perfect song and a clever video.

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert doesn't count.
 
jeffw said:
Men Without Hat's"Safety Dance" & The Eurythmic's"Sweet Dreams".Both on a Friday Night Videos program.Very strange stuff for this pre-teen.Early 80's.

I had to ask friends if Annie Lenox(didn't know her name @ the time)was a boy or girl.

Thomas Dolby or Devo-I think one or the other was my first MTV played video.
The Safety Dance,man that was a real blast from the past.Now I have it dug out of the closet with all the other 80's receord and tapes.How cool :thmbsp:
 
The Buggles, Video Killed the Radio Star. It was THE first and I remember seeing it. :thumbsdn:

Billy Idol White Wedding is the one I remember most though. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom