• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your very first amp? What was the first amplifier you had?

I had standard tuner with a wood case with a Lafayette 25 amplifier. I then built a tiger amp from popular electronics and a dynaco pat 4 preamp kit that I used with the tuner.
 
At 18, in 1968 I built this as a kit:
maxresdefault.jpg
eico-cortina-series-3070-solid-state_1_a5f971809bb9d22575ba86b38d24a6f8.jpg

Sounded better then any 15 watt/channel amp should. Gave it to my brother after I upgraded my system. His wife, never appreciating anything that came to him from our family made him dump it and replace it with some POS BCP entry level all in one. Try to do something nice :dunno:

That was my first amp, too, also built from a kit :thumbsup:
 
I’m a tad hazy... I had a few in my young pup years... all forgotten though Sony and Yamaha I know for sure.... then I got a Technics SU-V4X and to me, that is when things got real. Haven’t looked back....
 
That was my first amp, too, also built from a kit :thumbsup:

What was your impression of it. The only reason I moved on is that I upgraded my speakers and the Eico just did not have enough power. If it has more output, I think I would still be using it today.

Shelly_D
 
An Akai AM-U55. 8 years ago I was at the electronics recyclers with a my father throwing stuff away and spied a woman bringing a stack of silver hifi in to be destroyed. A quick chat with the guy working there and it was all mine for a fiver. Man I loved that amp, with the cheesy LED meters and the dirty relay on the left channel that always required the volume to be turned up loud before the channel would come to life. Still have it, and despite owning equipment that is better in every way shape and form, will never let that little Akai go.
 
What was your impression of it. The only reason I moved on is that I upgraded my speakers and the Eico just did not have enough power. If it has more output, I think I would still be using it today.

Shelly_D

It's been almost 40 years since I heard it, but I recall being happy when I stepped up to a Scott SS integrated. My speakers at the time were Smaller Advents, so the Eico was certainly underpowered for my setup.
 
My first receiver, which I bought in 1980;at 17, was this Sears Audio by Fisher unit.

B372E701-E7D2-49CE-94F8-93488086DD98.jpeg

I replaced it a couple years later with this Optonica integrated.

695077A1-DC81-40B6-B4F3-55D1779C6812.jpeg

Good memories!
 

Attachments

  • 4D094C79-F0B3-4B37-833B-EF288B76DE4F.jpeg
    4D094C79-F0B3-4B37-833B-EF288B76DE4F.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 4
The first amplifier I could call my own was a Kenwood KR 4070, like the one pictured below. It became mine in 1987, and I finally sold it in 1998.

8154261C-A10B-48DC-8E1F-BDD9DDE36745.jpeg
 
Tried to look it up...couldn't find it:dunno:...unremarkable ones never get noticed. A lot like people, I guess?


It was a Lloyd's receiver. Couldn't have been no more than three and half inches in depth, about maybe a foot or so wide, and maybe a foot and a half in depth. Enclosed in some sort of wood, mind you, real wood. They used real wood back then. Only could pick up two local stations, and that was on a good night. No separate treble/bass knobs. Just the one. The sound sorta got clearer using it, but there was little in the way of lower sounds.

But it was a power house of at least 7 watts per channel, but I suspect they were meaning "radio" watts, not RMS. It did come with a two page manual, with details I wouldn't have understood at the time anyways...that appreciation came later. The volume knob always got at least a 3/4 twist. Anymore than that and the speakers would fuzz out... lack of get and go? I suspected this as the speakers (Realistic) were much superior to this receiver...for won't of a better word. As far as weight went, there wasn't any! You had to press down on the top if you turned the knobs or to turn it on to keep it in place.

It did look kinda neat being so skinny and all, but the thing probably never needed a heat sink due to the low power of the unit. It read "stereo" on the face plate, but you really had to listen to hear any separation of sound. Not too much later, I got into a separate Sony amp/tuner and was now on my way to being a descriminating user/buyer. After listening to the new set up, I decided that Mickey M had not put out all those tunes I heard on the Lloyds. But hey, that's all I could afford at the time.

Sorry for the details , but thought to share some these memories to the many of having had a starter sound machine and all that came with it.:lurk:

Q
 
It's been almost 40 years since I heard it, but I recall being happy when I stepped up to a Scott SS integrated. My speakers at the time were Smaller Advents, so the Eico was certainly underpowered for my setup.

Yes, it would have been for those. My first speakers were some bottom of the line brand made by Elite Goodman and OEM'd to someone I no longer remember. Pretty sensitive so the Eico was just fine with them.
 
IMG_20150301_11942.jpg First equipment I owned (paid for myself) was an ElectroVoice 1179 receiver, Realistic Solo-1 bookshelf speakers, and a Realistic Lab-6 turntable. The speakers and TT were new, the EV a leftover demo I found in the back room...needed some repairs (by a GI from Fort Devens who was working in the store part time...an ASA electronics instructor). This must have been 1969/70. The image is not of mine, but one I saw at Frankenfest several years ago...
 
Last edited:
My first was an AKAI... think that's the correct spelling and I thank them for pushing me to do my "homework" :deal:where it comes to buying serious audio equipment for extended listening periods :rolleyes:
 
My first amp was a receiver my Dad got at an auction for me. I think I was 13 at the time. It was a Realistic STA-16. A full 3.8 watts of SS power. The speakers were Minimus 0.5's. A full range 4" speaker. It gave a nice "warm" sound. I listened to mostly Jazz and pop at the time. It reproduced Jazz quite well, being a sort of 'point source' with the 2 full range drivers. I listened to this system for many years. I was very happy with the sound quality. Probably happier than I am now with a Nak receiver and Ohm speakers I use today, even though it sounds SO much better. I think my interest these days in Classic Rock can be attributed to the fact it didn't sound all that great on my first system. I'm listening to stuff from my teenage years I never did back then, and enjoying it a lot.

Marc
 
My first system used a NAD 3140 integrated amp. That was around 1981. My first separates system, and first stand alone amp, was an Amber Series 70. I still have the Amber. The NAD was stolen during a move.
 
Back
Top Bottom