• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith MM2604-4

Just picked up this console, in really great shape, for $25. Turns on but all I get is loud buzzing/humming noises. Some volume control (buzzing gets louder)... I don't know anything about how to go about restoring this beauty. The interior is very clean and my suspicion is that all it needs is new tubes and maybe a turntable belt (there was some black debris underneath this area) and needle. And it's missing one of the brass louver pulls. Any/all advice re. next steps is much appreciated!

View attachment 686187 View attachment 686188 View attachment 686189 View attachment 686190 View attachment 686191 View attachment 686192 View attachment 686193View attachment 686194 View attachment 686195

Hey John,

Do you still have this console? I realize this post is about 3 1/2 years old now.

I have one myself but I'm missing both of the pulls. I've been looking for a good close-up of these for a while thinking I may be able to have a local machinist recreate them. if I go this route, I'd be happy to make one more for you as well if you still need one. Of course, the more info, the better regarding all dimensions of the knob and screws, maybe more photos, etc. Any and all suggestions from all reading this welcome.

Ed
 
Hi Ed,

We ended up buying some small brass pulls online. Not an exact match, but modernist enough that they look original. But thanks for the offer! Next task is removing/cleaning/lubricating/replacing the turntable motor. Needs a nudge now to get started... And the turntable bed is a bit too bouncy...

John
 
Hi Ed,

We ended up buying some small brass pulls online. Not an exact match, but modernist enough that they look original. But thanks for the offer! Next task is removing/cleaning/lubricating/replacing the turntable motor. Needs a nudge now to get started... And the turntable bed is a bit too bouncy...

John

Hey John,

Good to hear back. I'm curious to know/see what you found to replace them. I've been looking too, but haven't found anything close enough to make me go that route. Any links or photos on that? I contacted a local machinist already with your pictures. Seems promising. Waiting for him to get back to me with his thoughts and a price (I hope I don't say "ouch!").

Curious to see your progress on this project. Please keep us posted as you restore/improve the turntable. Agreed, it is a bouncy turntable.

I haven't plugged in my console for over 20 years and I hesitate to do so without taking care of the caps first. Inspired by yours, maybe I'll start another post of my restoration project.

Rock on and keep us posted!

- Ed
 
Hey John,

Good to hear back. I'm curious to know/see what you found to replace them. I've been looking too, but haven't found anything close enough to make me go that route. Any links or photos on that? I contacted a local machinist already with your pictures. Seems promising. Waiting for him to get back to me with his thoughts and a price (I hope I don't say "ouch!").

Curious to see your progress on this project. Please keep us posted as you restore/improve the turntable. Agreed, it is a bouncy turntable.

I haven't plugged in my console for over 20 years and I hesitate to do so without taking care of the caps first. Inspired by yours, maybe I'll start another post of my restoration project.

Rock on and keep us posted!

- Ed
Here's the Sams schematic for it. Different cabinet style but the electronics should be the same.
 

Attachments

Hey FlaCharlie!

That's awesome! Indeed, looks like same 2 chassis (plural sp?) are in there. Thanks for attaching! Now I'm getting more inspired to take on this restoration project. Many thanks.

As I get into gear, I'll keep all posted. I hope I can keep up the momentum. Maybe this deserves a second new post?

Side note...Looks like hurricane Dorian is going to miss you, but stay safe!

Thank you 8-)

- Ed
 
Hi folks
New member here. My daughter (an engineer and vinyl record enthusiast) recently was gifted this same unit from her grandparents (my in-laws) as she has always loved this piece. She began to restore it and I am her helper. :) We came across this forum and hers had the exact some humming noise. She bought some capacitors and soldered them in and the unit works wonderfully including the turntable. Thanks for all the notes in this thread.
 
I just joined the forum today with the exact same problem on my MM2604. I'm in the process of making repairs and would like to say "Thank You" to the contributors in this thread. It seems this large multi-section capacitor is difficult to find and the repair advise is outstanding. This is my fourth Console, for $5 I couldn't pass it up. I also have a B966 (1971), MK2635 (1963) and a 12H094 (1946).
Regards mill69
 
Might be a good idea to get a general purpose isolation xfmr (120Vac in, 120Vac out) and plug the console into that to get line isolation safety.
 
Hi, yet another newbie here. I have the same model, a Zenith MM2604-4 that I bought years ago from the original owner (a neighbor), and have the exact same issue. I'll want to get this operational again and will be referring back to this thread, hopefully soon. (I also have my family's original 1959 Montgomery-Ward Admiral console stereo and maintain it fully functional.)
 
My Nephew just scored this console at a local goodwill for $30. Removed the back panel and carefully blew out the dust bunnies. Looks like all original tubes and components. Fired it up was able to pull in FM stations. Heard a fair bit of scratching from dirty pots so powered off and removed back and shot some good contact cleaner in all three pots: combo vol/bal, treble, and bass. Dried off and put back on. Fired up and sounded better; much less scratchy sound. Even got the turntable working. Can't believe it. Will get the recommended parts: high voltage power caps, and some new tubes.
 
Has anyone modified this console to be less of a safety hazard? Polarized plug might help assuming the socket was wired correctly. How about mounting an isolation transformer inside? Not sure about the secondary side, and metal chassis ground. I'm an EE but high voltage for me is 48VDC lol; I pretty much stick to PCB design for computing and embedded systems. I have tube guitar amps and do have solid skills in troubleshooting;
 
Back
Top Bottom