• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

zenith PP 6bq5 console amp

The .01 is the death cap replace it with a new one. The one for the changer you may or may not need, I think you will need the schematic for the tuner\pre amp. We need to know where pin 2 goes off that molex connector. I don't think you killed it but when you removed the death cap you got to see first hand why its there when you turned the ac plug over.:yes: Put it back in and give her a try.:smoke:
 
no this happened before I removed the death cap but thats not to say that it wasnt bad anyways. I put it back in when I came home today and I didnt get anything. I may not have my switch wired right though although im pretty sure its wired up the same way the molex was jumpered.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2671410210103895522PSUPRL

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2158973200103895522hZJfJt

and heres that extra wire off the output tranny
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2266107510103895522edCeGO
 
I think now is a good time to start using a variac! I'm also a little worried about the spark thing and should have never recommend turning it back on without a variac. I'm not sure I can see how you wired the switch but it is simply just a matter of putting the switch where you had it jumped out. I will look hader at the pictures. Stand by
 
I need a better picture of the terminal with the white death cap. Does one end of that cap go to the 5u4?
 
Also I think the mystery black wire goes to the end terminal on the output transformer do you have a wire on that terminal? Its probally the only one that has nothing going to it.
 
It looks like the switch is wired correctly. Your switch is inbetween the 5u4 aand the cap right?
 
yes the switch it wired between the 5u4 and the cap, and you were right about that mystery wire it must of just broken off the terminal strip. Does that mean I blew it up ? I get nothing at all when I turn it on and I checked the switch for continuity and it seemed fine. Theres a 3 amp slow blow fuse in it that was there when it sparked and popped the breaker but the fuse tests good also. I got no tranny hum and none of the tubes light.
 
Something does not look right on that wire nut. In pic 18 the white slash red wire should go to the terminal where the death cap does NOT go to the chassis. I don't know where that other wire is going. Can you follow it back and tell me?
 
your talking about the wire with the wire nut on it ? that come out of the power tranny and is just capped off, im pretty sure it just went to the molex conector
 
Also I think the mystery black wire goes to the end terminal on the output transformer do you have a wire on that terminal? Its probally the only one that has nothing going to it.

Yep, that's probably the 1.4ohm wire as noted in post #14 above.
 
yea It seemed like it just got brittle and snapped off the terminal, I cant believe I didnt notice that before. I soldered it back in it place.
 
It went to the 4 pin plug that went to the phono which in turn ran over to the pin that I just discribed. You need it there. Be careful powering it up. I still recommend a variac. You didn't blow that wire off the output transformer. If you do decide to power it up with out a variac stay close to the plug and unplug it fast if something goes up in smoke or arcs.
 
Back
Top Bottom