Goodwill Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charities are just like other retail companies.

Who's uninformed again? Why would you think a non profit is just like a for profit company?

"In economic terms, a nonprofit organization uses its surplus revenues to further achieve its purpose or mission, rather than distributing its surplus income to the organization's shareholders (or equivalents) as profit or dividends."

Ummmm those jobs that GW provides would not be there if GW did not operate they way they do. I have two adult children (out of 5) that are autistic and over the years they have had jobs at GW to learn life skills. I have zero problem with the CEO of a company that employs thousands of people that otherwise would have had no chance of employment making what he or she does.

No problem with that!

The problem here is that it's a company that calls itself "Industry" and functions as a NON profit.

That's the problem.

It's just a matter of time, NON profit status will be removed.

Pay taxes as all of us do and carry on.

Not to mention the stealing of the taxes YOU pay through the generous Government funding they receive that finds it's way to executive salaries.

No problem with that!

The problem here is that it's a company that calls itself "Industry" and functions as a NON profit.

That's the problem.

It's just a matter of time, NON profit status will be removed.

Pay taxes as all of us do and carry on.

Ok, but I assume you feel the same outrage at what movie stars get paid? States give tax breaks to movie studios to make movies in their states in order to get the jobs etc from movie production. Such movies employ far less people and often zero people like my two sons and yet studio execs and movie stars make a ton more than any GW exec "profits". I guess it depends on the lens in which one sees things.

Back on topic regardless of how we see the company... from what I've seen is that marked up prices at the local thrifts, ebay, etc has caused folks to think their gear is worth more than it is. Been to countless yard sales where people have printed sheets from ebay or amazon sitting on top of the item. The great find these days as was pointed out earlier is in the media itself. Albums, cassettes, CDs, etc. The streaming business has caused lots of this media to be dumped off at the local store. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw a decent cassette deck at the store but I find cassettes all the time.

Back on topic regardless of how we see the company... from what I've seen is that marked up prices at the local thrifts, ebay, etc has caused folks to think their gear is worth more than it is. Been to countless yard sales where people have printed sheets from ebay or amazon sitting on top of the item. The great find these days as was pointed out earlier is in the media itself. Albums, cassettes, CDs, etc. The streaming business has caused lots of this media to be dumped off at the local store. Couldn't tell you the last time I saw a decent cassette deck at the store but I find cassettes all the time.

I have not seen anybody with the ebay listing printed....hmmmm. As someone who loves to pick I have come to realize that eBay sets the price on many items (especially smalls). When people point to eBay listings for pricing I always point out that the sold listings are the ones that actually mean something.

16oQL_s-200x150.gif

Bodyblue you are part of the problem friend. I wish you the best "doubling your money through ebay". Just make sure to pack properly and describe accurately because most resellers like you have a problem with that.

And don't doubt my accusations either because it is a racket!
Oh, you know Bodyblue on a personal basis? Have you bought from him? If eBay was so replete with bad sellers per your accusation, it would not be in business. I dabble on eBay myself every great now and then to sell. I really don't do it that much because of the fees, but that's a different topic. I have sold non-working items; I have always, ALWAYS, listed them as non-working/for parts. You don't know squat, stereory.

Mark doesnt want to read about Goodwill cheating the system yet admits to having a hustle of his own.

Dont let that well run dry!

Watch who you are calling a hustler, sunshine.

I save, and pay for, items that were going to be trashed. The charity gets a couple of bucks for a bin full of scrap whereas I will pay several bucks for EACH PIECE I save.

I am also a volunteer with the charity, I recondition donated computers for them to sell and I do all their IT work in my own time for free. I get no kick backs other than getting to know a bit in advance if something is going up for sale.

The only hustle I have is saving junk and contributing towards end of life care.

I have reported this thread due its decreasing amount of audio related discussion and suggest those who wish to bash Goodwill write letters of complaint to its CEO instead of venting on a hobbyist audio forum.

Peace.

Before this gets locked down, let me say this. Yes, Goodwill makes a profit, but here's the thing. I bragged about my toaster I got for $4 last Saturday. The darn thing works, it's built like a tank, and it's cheaper than what I'm going to pay for a new one that will just tear up in a few years. The shirt I have on? Like new-$1.50. Keep on bashing Goodwill while I keep on shopping there!

I really don't get why people get so upset with thrift pricing policies. It is a free market and if the prices are unrealistic, it will self correct. It really is that simple.

I'm a full opportunity thrifter. I will shop at thrifts, pawn shops, garage sales, consignment stores, and estate sales. Heck, I will even shop in a regular retail store that pays its employees real money, although that is much more rare now. I just have way too much fun finding bargains, and if I don't want to keep them, reselling them for big bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom