How would you rate a Marantz 3200 preamp?

TBL_HK

:angel:I have a Marantz 3200 preamp with its original wooden crate. Stunning looks and wonderful sound, although I have long not been using it, maybe I have left it in my store room a few years by now. I remember it sounded relatively lively, yet it had a little warmth compared to my McIntosh C20 and my Nakamichi CA-7A preamps.

I am thinking of selling it together with its companion power amp the Model 140. But I just wonder how you Marantz nuts rate this and the power amp?

Terence

Last edited:
Hey Terence, It appears that you found it to be accurate. I cannot answer your question but it appears that you have pretty much summed it up as far as your opinion, and your opinion is the only correct one, because your the guy that has to listen to it.
Reading peoples responses to "best sounding speakers" threads, usually results in getting 400 different answers with every person answering with the correct one. :)

I have the trifecta of the 112 tuner, 3200 preamp and 140 amp all in beautiful wood cases.

Nothing beats the look of the Marantz blue meters and the 140 with 70 watts per channel is no slouch.

The preamp has 2 phono inputs along with the tuner and aux inputs so you have a lot of diversity there along with the dual speaker controls.

They're not terribly fancy units but serve their intended purpose well.

Bob

the trifecta of the 112 tuner, 3200 preamp and 140 amp all in beautiful wood cases.

Nothing beats the look of the Marantz blue meters and the 140 with 70 watts per channel is no slouch.

The preamp has 2 phono inputs along with the tuner and aux inputs so you have a lot of diversity there along with the dual speaker controls.

They're not terribly fancy units but serve their intended purpose well.

Bob
I have all three as well. All recapped too. I like the tuner and really like the amp. The 3200?, not so much. Even after swapping some lytics with films, different cap values ect. It just seems lacking to me. Not horrible but running one of my 1060 integrated amps as a pre sounded better. But then that's just me. Some really like the 3200.

This 3200 never had my attention when I was using it, but its companions amp the Model 140 did. Provided their stunning looks, it would be a loss to me if sell them now. Especially when I buught them for $550, it was a hell of equipment for that worth.

Terence

Sometimes matching a different set of speakers can give it a whole new sound. I hope you find its groove.

That is so true!
In my shop when testing/burning in units I do there are 4 different speaker pairs I use .
An eclectic mix of EPI 100's,Small Advents,AR 4x's and JBL 4311's.

Some units sound better with the JBL's while others with the EPI's.
When I want to load down a unit the little 4ohm Advents are called to duty.
Also on call are EPI 202's at 4 or 16 ohm loading for the bigger amps.

Bob

Iirc, I had a 3300 feeding a phase 400 into Dahlquist DQ10s in the mid 1970s that was pretty decent. Dunno difference with 3200.

So, anyone can comment on their experience witth the 3200 preamp?

As I said, to me it sounds warm, and I find it crystal clear and somewhat 3-d. Mids are where it shines brightest at phono (with technics EPC205C Mk3 cart.). Mated to two pairs of Ampex 6973 mono amps, it even drives my stacked JBL 4320 fours to sound as nice as I could ever want.

I didn't find it at a thrift store as some you might have done, but that money was certainly worth the deal.

Terence.

So, anyone can comment on their experience witth the 3200 preamp?

As I said, to me it sounds warm, and I find it crystal clear and somewhat 3-d. Mids are where it shines brightest at phono (with technics EPC205C Mk3 cart.). Mated to two pairs of Ampex 6973 mono amps, it even drives my stacked JBL 4320 fours to sound as nice as I could ever want.

I didn't find it at a thrift store as some you might have done, but that money was certainly worth the deal.

Terence.
I have a 3200 and JBL 4320's (although the woofers need to be re-foamed) -- great sounding combo (I use a Marantz 510) with them

The 3200 has a different sound to other Marantz preamps of similAr era people assume it will sound like 3300 or 3250b it’s nothing like those it’s more balanced and neutral sounding in my view a 3250b is a little more wooly with stronger mids and the 3300 is different again with a different tone. Matched with the 140 the 3200 looks stunning and if restored properly is nice enough for most vintage audio enthusiasts

I have the Model 140 mated with a 3600 pre....both fully restored. Absolutely love the sound. Warm, rich, tubey sound.

I have a 1070 integrated and I wonder if it has the 3200 preamp in it? It's not exactly warm, rich or tubey sounding but has killer bass for only 35 watts.

Back
Top Bottom