I don't mean to gush, but my Dual 1219 continues to impress

You can gush all you want but keep it down a bit would you? I'm enjoying listening to my 1219 right now!

They're BOTH the same turntable, just the 1229 has the illuminated strobe.

I've owned both.

That's useful information to a Dual novice. What about the 510? It looks to be slightly newer (1975-76, vs. 1972-74 for the 1229) and slightly cheaper. Also, isn't the 5xx series belt drive rather than direct drive?

Is the 510 worth a go or is the 1229 clearly superior?

That's useful information to a Dual novice. What about the 510? It looks to be slightly newer (1975-76, vs. 1972-74 for the 1229) and slightly cheaper. Also, isn't the 5xx series belt drive rather than direct drive?

Is the 510 worth a go or is the 1229 clearly superior?

I have no experience with the 510, but being a belt-drive it is a completely different animal. I may be wrong about this, but it's the idler-drive Duals that generate the most excitement on this and other audio boards.

I had both the 1019 and 1219 for many years, both working well and I always felt there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on that made the 1019 have more drive and slam. The 1219 a smoother perhaps more balanced performer but in the end, I sold the 1219 and use the 1019 daily.

I hope Beatcomber gets to play with a 1019 in really good shape without the issues he has mentioned because I think it has a unique and interesting presentation. I also have a Lenco l75 and a Rega P3 and I often find myself going back to the 1019 and saying ahh just about right!

I hope Beatcomber gets to play with a 1019 in really good shape without the issues he has mentioned because I think it has a unique and interesting presentation.

Thanks! I'm sure another one will present itself to me sooner or later. This time I'll not waste my time and $$ with the 'other' Dual guy, and just get my man Seth to fix it up.

I've had several rim drive duals over the years. 1019, 1219, and 1229. All as main tables in one of my systems. I think they were great tables but for whatever reason, every one of them had problems holding speed accurately. I blame the conical speed adjustment. The idler wheel and bushing have to be perfect to hold the speed correctly. Instead of trying to fix them I always just sold them off. If I ever find another perhaps I'll put a little more effort into it them. Each one of them were replaced with Direct drive tables.

To be clear.. after Notransistors get thru with them I'm sure they are might fine tables.

Steve

Seth is your goto guy for all your Dual turntable repairs....Forget everyone else. He has fixed/refurbed a boat load of Dual tables for me. His work is second to none. I am just glad I am local to him in Brooklyn. :music:

I've had several rim drive duals over the years. 1019, 1219, and 1229. All as main tables in one of my systems. I think they were great tables but for whatever reason, every one of them had problems holding speed accurately. I blame the conical speed adjustment. The idler wheel and bushing have to be perfect to hold the speed correctly. Instead of trying to fix them I always just sold them off. If I ever find another perhaps I'll put a little more effort into it them. Each one of them were replaced with Direct drive tables.

The 1019's I've had in the past all had speed issues; I suspect it was due at least in part to the motors not being given proper attention by the guy who worked on them. Old motors need to be cleaned and re-oiled. My 1219 has been completely stable in regards to pitch accuracy.

Seth is your goto guy for all your Dual turntable repairs....Forget everyone else. He has fixed/refurbed a boat load of Dual tables for me. His work is second to none. I am just glad I am local to him in Brooklyn. :music:

I was frankly shocked when I went to pick up my 1219 from Seth, and he hooked it up to his system and played it LOUD, just to demonstrate how quiet the backgrounds were. I was expecting some degree of rumble, and it just isn't there.

My own speakers are pretty transparent and revealing (KEF LS50's), and I do not hear any rumble AT ALL at home either - and believe me, I've listened closely for it.

When it comes to hifi repair/mod guys, I can be a pretty demanding customer, and I expect you to know your schitt if you're going to take my hard-earned cash for working on my stuff. There are only a handful of guys that have earned my 100% faith in their abilities - ie: Audiodon, thedelihaus, marcmorin, and a few others. As far as I'm concerned, Seth's work on my Dual has earned him inclusion in the "AK Gold Circle."

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm sure another one will present itself to me sooner or later. This time I'll not waste my time and $$ with the 'other' Dual guy, and just get my man Seth to fix it up.

Just be fair I have to say that I have bought three restored Duals from the "other" Dual guy and have had no issues with the "other" Dual guy or the turntables. I just wanted to give Bill equal time and note my experiences with him. Also, I've been running the EVG stylus for the V-15 III that you recommended on my 1229Q and have about 20 hours on it. Can't go wrong for fifteen bucks and IMO it replicates the sound of an original Shure stylus. Still using the Jico SAS on the 701 as I have been for several years and even after all this time it still impresses every time I play a record. Do you find that the record weight helps?

Just be fair I have to say that I have bought three restored Duals from the "other" Dual guy and have had no issues with the "other" Dual guy or the turntables. I just wanted to give Bill equal time and note my experiences with him.

I suspect that it is better to buy an already-restored table from him rather than send him one to re-build, because I was not all happy with the two that I sent for restoration.

I sure Seth is excellent ----but Bill has done 2 Duals for me with great results.

The dual 510 is my daily driver right now, have m91ed and V15 IV mounted and rocking.
much respect to the Dual engineers. Forced (shamed) my friend to get his CS-5000 plugged back in after he was listening to the 510.

What's the duel hierarchy. I'm seeing the cs5000 fetching a bit more $ than the others.
As if I need another table

The CS-5000 is mostly plastic and flakeboard. The platter bushing sits in a plastic pedestal that usually cracks and the arm is mostly plastic. The motor is small with small bushings that wear out just like those on the Thorens with similar motors. Not worth the prices people are getting on ebay. Dual went downhill after the all-metal 1219. Even if analog was still King in 2014, a turntable of this quality could not be made.

Back
Top Bottom