Quad ESLs - your amplifier experiences

sqlsavior

Lunatic Member
I am inviting anyone who has owned the original Quad ESLs, or the ESL 63s, or heard them with known specific amplifiers, to state which speakers, and post your experiences with all or any amplifiers you've tried. :yes:

I'll start out. All my experiences are with the original model ESL. I first heard a pair on a trip to NYC around 1980. The amp was a little NAD 3020, which I couldn't believe - I gave the volume knob enough of a twist to turn heads at the store and the salesman laughed. The music was Jazz at The Pawnshop, and it sounded impossibly 3D, like I was there The Pawnshop, wherever that was...

I finally brought home a pair 33 years later, and tried my NAD 3020A first. After a minute or two, I noticed the very first tendrils of smoke coming up from the amp and shut it down immediately. Luckily, in time too, and the amp still works fine on other speakers. Verdict on NAD 3020A: Danger, Will Robinson!

After reading in my Hafler DH-220 manual that it can supply 10 amps into a short circuit, I decided to give it a try. No problem, beautiful sound.

Heathkit UA-1s worked fine too, but seemed a bit rolled off, probably because they need more work. A pair of original, un-converted Luxman MB3045s sounded delicious for four hours, until one started humming, and was ruined by Shelley's Stereo's DoofusTech (TM). A Luxman L-505u sounded beautiful too, but it took a restore of an A3000 pair (the Japanese domestic version of the MB3045) to get back to delicious.

Lastly, a Gemtone/APPJ/Miniwatt SET sounded pretty bad with the Quads - really didn't like them at all. No bass, no treble either. Just not comfortable with the impedance curve, I guess.

Still waiting to try an Adcom 535, and a G.A.S. Grandson.

What amps have you all tried, and with what results? Did anything stand head and shoulders above the others? Has anyone used a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp, or integrated? Or a First Watt amp? TIA for all contributions...

ESL-63s.

Let's see...

AudioSource AMP-100
Renardson MJR7
QUAD 405-2
ATI AT1202
Kenwood Supreme 600
Others I've forgotten...

No difference at all, as expected, as I never drive amps anywhere near clipping.

For past two years or so, they've been powered by a Sonos Connect:Amp, 55Wpc into 8 ohms, Class D. Again, no difference whatsoever in the sound, but, for me, the ideal solution. Tucked away in an antique Chinese cabinet, as it produces virtually no heat.

MC-225 pairs well with ESL-57.

I usually use PP EL84 amps with mine; I keep meaning to try one of my PP 7591A amplifiers.

I've only driven my ESL's with Quad amps. First a 303 and now a II Classic Integrated. They sound lovely with both amps. No issues at all.

QUAD ESL (57). I owned a pair for about fifteen years and really liked them. One of the best speakers that I ever owned.

1. Fisher 300B my favorite amplifier for he QUAD speakers. :thmbsp:

2. H H Scott 208 another great sounding amplifier with these speakers.

3. Radio Craftsmen RC-2 mid-range to die for and pretty good at the other frequencies too.

ESL-57 and a DB systems pre-power system. One of 3 speakers that have left a permanent impression and this was with only one speaker. The other was back for repair probably during the warranty period it was so long ago. Not my system but that speaker had a depth to the presentation and well maybe there is something to this mono trend some are talking about.

Thanks, Blue.

I sometimes wonder if Art Dudley's single-Quad experience relayed here was a catalyst for his pursuit of mono.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-43-page-2#kTe2djVydLrIqBhl.97

When I first got into Quads I heard they were amp killers, so I did some reading (there's a recommended list of amps somewhere on the Internet). I got into 63's, which are easier on amps than 57's, but still present a challenge.

My friends mid 70's Marantz receiver (sorry, can't remember the model number off hand) went into protection after just a few minutes at moderate sound levels. Phase Linear 400 worked fine, as did my Heathkit AA-1640. I did buy a Dynaco ST-70 just for the Quads, and I have to say that amp with those speakers sounded real nice.

As a side note, the same Phase 400 would *not* power my ML CLS speakers for very long without fading out. The Heathkit AA-1640 powered those just fine. Strange about the Phase Linear, as I always heard those could be driven with a short across the speaker leads.

bs

MC-225 pairs well with ESL-57.
I bet it does. I've had it (a new one) on my radar for awhile.

I've only driven my ESL's with Quad amps. First a 303 and now a II Classic Integrated. They sound lovely with both amps. No issues at all.
I almost went for an updated Quad 405 at one point. And I was too chicken to ride the Penny-Farthing an acquaintance in Tucson had, long ago. How's the weather up there? :)

1. Fisher 300B my favorite amplifier for he QUAD speakers. :thmbsp:

I just looked up that amp. Wow! That bronze tube cage seems like a beautiful match for the Quads. I'm impressed by the looks alone!

Thanks, guys. And thanks to bshorey and 240sx4u too. The info on this classic topic seems pretty scattered on the web, and the most well known collection of recommendations is pretty long in the tooth. Let's keep 'em coming!

:tresbon:

What amps have you all tried, and with what results? Did anything stand head and shoulders above the others?
While I don't have Quads - have heard them before - I do have experience with other full range electrostats and find they deserve the best amplification.

Kent McCollum of Estatsolutions who rebuilds Quads uses Audio Research amplification. A REF75 would work magic. :)

I've got both the ESLs and USA Monitors using Beveridges now and had Acoustats for years
On the ESLs less power is not necessarily better as long as you have protection

I prefer the ESLs by a good margin but the 63's can definitely do more and are easier to live with in some ways

For this to happen the ESLs must be totally refurbished

They like push pull with feed back mostly( with one exception in my experience) I've have on hand and tried, Marantz 2,5,8b, quad II,Citation II, Mc 225,Futterman, Dynaco MkIII, Berning Zh270,Heath UA 1 And a wyetech 211 set & more

My favourites on the ESL is the Wyetech ...yes Set can do ESL... But the Wyetech is no ordinary SET by a long shot

Futterman is next and I really like the Mc 225 on these ..the citation is my least favourite on these

Big ARC amps do well and my choice would be M100 s for vintage or any of the current reference series

*Ok , I just looked up this APP J SET -are you serious! This is a play toy not for Quads- I'm not surprised at your results. * The Wyetech SET I mention above weighs " literally" 100lbs more than that toy. That APP J It's not worth mentioning as valid experiment .Yikes.

I've attached a poor pic of the Quads playing with the Beveridges in my room before I got it finished

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Yes the 8b provides a very rich and detailed presentation. It never disappoints with the right speaker and the Quads work with it. If you like el34 and I do ( better than the 6550 for tone) it is hard to beat. ..

Thanks.

Sam Tellig of Stereophile famously liked the 1st generation Adcom GFA-535 on the ESL-63's. His revue probably sold tens of thousands of them.

I've got both the ESLs and USA Monitors using Beveridges now and had Acoustats for years
On the ESLs less power is not necessarily better as long as you have protection

I prefer the ESLs by a good margin but the 63's can definitely do more and are easier to live with in some ways

For this to happen the ESLs must be totally refurbished

They like push pull with feed back mostly( with one exception in my experience) I've have on hand and tried, Marantz 2,5,8b, quad II,Citation II, Mc 225,Futterman, Dynaco MkIII, Berning Zh270,Heath UA 1 And a wyetech 211 set & more

My favourites on the ESL is the Wyetech ...yes Set can do ESL... But the Wyetech is no ordinary SET by a long shot

Futterman is next and I really like the Mc 225 on these ..the citation is my least favourite on these

Big ARC amps do well and my choice would be M100 s for vintage or any of the current reference series

*Ok , I just looked up this APP J SET -are you serious! This is a play toy not for Quads- I'm not surprised at your results. * The Wyetech SET I mention above weighs " literally" 100lbs more than that toy. That APP J It's not worth mentioning as valid experiment .Yikes.

I've attached a poor pic of the Quads playing with the Beveridges in my room before I got it finished

Cheers

Thanks, kcin!

I've heard push-pull, with feedback, too.

No, I wasn't really serious about the APPJ SET. I wasn't surprised at the results, either - kinda suckered myself into that one. Oh, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I tried it on some lowly Polks first, but was still apprehensive about trying it on the Quads, but finally figured it couldn't make enough power to hurt...

Sam Tellig of Stereophile famously liked the 1st generation Adcom GFA-535 on the ESL-63's. His revue probably sold tens of thousands of them.

Thanks for reminding me - I've got one to try. And a GAS Grandson (or two!), if my friend ever gets up my way.

Meanwhile, my A3000s are still going, and wonderful.

Any of the ARC Ref 75, MC 275 (or MC 75 mono blocks!!), new Conrad Johnson or Quad, even the Prima Luna are out of responsible budget range for now, but wonderful to contemplate. I must say I'm preferring new over used in tube amps for the next go-round, and all of the circuit and tube options, plus all of the protection and auto-adjusting features, make the Prima Luna Dialogue Premium look very attractive. And Art Dudley liked it, but on other speakers, though. I'm also intrigued by a Class A solid state, say First Watt or Pass. A First Watt dealer told me to look for something with more power, however. But I don't play mine very loud at all, which is partly why I fell for the APPJ experiment.

Thanks for all the input. More is welcome. :)

Last edited:
Vintage? Everything from a wonderful old Pilot receiver running 7591s, Marantz 8B, McIntosh MC 30, Dynaco ST35 and ST70, Heathkit UA2, ARC D51 and a few others that have slipped my mind at the moment.

New that won't break the bank? Quicksilver Mini-Mite mono amps (25 watts/channel). Wonderful on ESL-57s.

I still have my original pair of Quicksilver 8417 amps that have been updated to run EL34, etc. tubes. They also sound wonderful on ESL-57s.

As with all things audio, YMMV.....

I had the Koss model 1a stats for 30 years. They ate a Philips 210 wpc amp and a BGW 750a. It took the whole 30 years to eat em though.

Thanks for the reports and suggestions. kcin, love the picture. :)

Well, one of the A3000s flashed and buzzed during turn-on. The right speaker is OK, but the right channel of both my L-505u and my Fosgate phono preamp were taken out by the amp. Why, I don't know, but I've had enough.

I've tried the Adcom GFA-535. Maybe mine (unrestored, AFAIK) is not a good example, but I'm way less than impressed so far. In fact, a re-try of the little Mini-watt SET is much more lifelike in many respects. My conclusion is that I need a better backup amp, as well as a more reliable main amp. A First Watt F6 at a good price got away. If I go tube I want new, and the Quicksilver looks very interesting, thanks. I am lately thinking of not skimping, and have as current alternatives a used Pass Labs XA30.5, or a new PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium, in large part due to its near-fool-proof protection features and auto-adjustment, with balanced pairs unnecessary. Leaning toward the PrimaLuna, because I liked the tube Luxman's sound. If I can get that back, in a more reliable package, I'd be satisfied. Can't really stretch into the new Mac or ARC range, alas.

Again, thanks to all for sharing. Last-minute warnings or advice are still welcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom