speaker types on a fisher 500c

bobinaz

I was wondering if anyone here has experimented with putting different speakers (a + b) on a fisher 500c?
I want to get a 500c (must sell/trade other stuff first) and have a pair of wharfedales m70(1963) and a pair of pioneer a-50 (circa mid-late 60's) I was thinking of putting both sets on the fisher. I know this is east / west coast sound together, but has anyone here ever tried to mix these speaker types (east/west) with success??

Hmmm. East Coast speakers on the right channel, West Coast speakers on the right channel. Where you gonna set the couch, Ohio? That will be quite a large soundstage. :p:

The Fisher doesn't have a lot of power so you may wish to experiment in the wiring. I assume you will run a Warfdale and a Pioneer on each side. Try them in parallel on the 4 ohm output and also in series on the 16 ohm output (if it has one). It also wouldn't hurt to try them in parallel on the 8 ohm output.

Parallel is preferred as you will improve speaker efficiency in this mode. Leave 'em hooked up whichever way gives you the best overall performance. You won't hurt the Fisher in any of these schemes. Do not operate the Fisher without a loudspeaker load hooked up however. With the volume control advanced with an input signal without speakers this can damage the amp (overvoltage the output transformers, tubes and tube sockets). This is not a danger with SS amps.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom