Want to Introduce Your Kids To The Beatles?

62sunbeam

Raconteur
I watched Across The Universe, the Julie Taymor musical from 2006, with my ten year old daughter the other night just like I did with my older daughter eight years ago when it was available on HBO. Now it's on Netflix.

They both loved the movie and are now huge Beatles fans. In this time of Justin Beiber and Miley Cyrus I would imagine a little music appreciation education is certainly in order and this film is a great jumping off point.

I'm sitting in my listening room now and my daughter is singing along to The White Album.

I have to say even as a tepid Beatles fan there is no denying the depth and quality of their songbook and the interpretations and performances in Across The Universe more than hold their own. There's even a lesbian version of I Want to Hold Your Hand and Salma Hayek playing a sexy nurse administers the morphine injection in Happyness Is a warm Gun.

By the way there's some brief but pretty artsy nudity and a scene where some college kids pass a roach. I told my daughter they were smoking cigarette butts because they had no money for new cigarettes. Otherwise it's pretty kid safe. PG-PG-13 at most.

Even if you don't have kids it's worth a viewing/listen. Turn it up. Lots of fun.

Enjoy

Eric

Last edited:
I can't believe that I'd never heard of this one. Just found it on Netflix and added it to my list of things to watch.Thanx.
Played through the new Yamaha and new optical cable, it oughta be a lot of fun. Maybe tonight?

I watched Across The Universe, the Julie Taymor musical from 2006, with my ten year old daughter the other night just like I did with my older daughter eight years ago when it was available on HBO. Now it's on Netflix.

I have to say even as a tepid Beatles fan there is no denying the depth and quality of their songbook and the interpretations and performances in Across The Universe more than hold their own. There's even a lesbian version of I Want to Hold Your Hand and Salma Hayek playing a sexy nurse administers the morphine injection in Happyness Is a warm Gun.

Even if you don't have kids it's worth a viewing/listen. Turn it up. Lots of fun.

Not necessarily worth it. Not all of us are beetles fans. If I had kids, I would not bother with the beetles. There is plenty of classical, jazz and the
Great American songbook(and the numerous current covers of those great songs) to introduce them to.

"I told my daughter they were smoking cigarette butts because they had no money for new cigarettes."

I am very careful with things like that and wold have phrased it a bit differently. That they could not afford to each have their own. I don't mean to getup in your business but it is a tricky thing to expose the young to certain things and be completely honest. A hooker in a movie would be an interesting dilemma but I think it could be sorted out with something like - guys pay her to go with them.

But anyway, now that my Dear Abby shit is over with LOL, it is great the kids can get into the older stuff. I think we are the golden age of rock and roll almost. OK, it started a little before my time, for example Buddy Holly died the year before I was born. But my Father and especiallly one Uncle really liked his music. My other Uncle had a common teacher with Buddy Holly I think - Les Paul. Anyway, also the Big Bopper and Richie Valens(sp) were also gone by the time I got here, as well as alot of others.

But they were "cool". Other oldsters were listening to Engebert Humperdink and the like, which was their pop I guess, but not rock, nor rock and roll.

I think, even though some kids will get into some classical etc., that most of them will like older rock and roll because it moves fast, and so do they. And old Beatles is just about the epitome of exposing them to it because they were not just a three piece band, they used all kind of instrumentation and used so many different styles. Well the one (almost) common theme was insane lyrics. When I got into P2P one of the first songs I DLed was The Walrus because I remembered the words as "Semolina Pilchard, dripping from a dead dog's eye".

But alot of that good Beatles came out when I was like 3 - 8 years old.

Anyway, when do you plan to spring Pink Floyd on her ?

I thought this thread would be about The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles lp LOL

Jurb, the Beatles were a 4 piece band, not 3 just for clarification

I thought this thread would be about The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles lp LOL

Jurb, the Beatles were a 4 piece band, not 3 just for clarification

I knew that, just used the phrase to be clear. Maybe should have said a three piece bar band with day jobs ...

And actually they had a veritable orchestra at times.

Last edited:
When my son was very young I wouldn't lie to him about what people did including the on screen smoking of anything. Explaining the facts and telling the truth is more important IMO than telling my son a lie. BTW, he's now in his late twenties and unlike his father has never smoked anything.

Not necessarily worth it. Not all of us are beetles fans. If I had kids, I would not bother with the beetles. There is plenty of classical, jazz and the
Great American songbook(and the numerous current covers of those great songs) to introduce them to.

Well, I would. There's a reason they have such mass appeal.

This episode clearly was a positive one for both father and children. Why pee on it?

th

When my son was very young I wouldn't lie to him about what people did including the on screen smoking of anything. Explaining the facts and telling the truth is more important IMO than telling my son a lie. BTW, he's now in his late twenties and unlike his father has never smoked anything.

I agree, that is why I said what I said. But the truth need not contain many words. Fact is they were cigarettes. they just had a different type of smokable in them, and they were much more expensive than cigarettes so actually, that is the truth that they could not afford their own.

The hooker one would be a bit harder. That guys pay her to go with them, well there could be more questions the way kids are. Go with her to do what ? OK, hugging and kissing and whatever. What's whatever ? Whatever they want.

I agree to be as truthful as possible, but they find out too much too soon already about things like this. Does it constitute a lie of omission ? I am not sure. there is such a thing as too much detail. Like asking how to build an amplifier, first you go mine and purify some silicon, then you dope half of it with...

I think he handled it fine, he probably got hit with the question out of the blue. And really, can't afford new cigarettes ? We used to save roaches all the time. In fact, making a new "cigarette" out of pure roaches made it much better. Better flavor, smoother, and more "satisfying" if ya know what I mean...

The good old days.

Back
Top Bottom