• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage Rabbit Ears

diamondsouled

Recycle belly button lint!
Passed on these a couple days ago but thought they look retro and would make a good FM radio antenna.

Cast metal base, Bakelite body and tips on real brass antenna. Don't make em like that anymore. :no:

attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Vintage rabbit ears.jpg
    Vintage rabbit ears.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Vintage rabbit ears #2.jpg
    Vintage rabbit ears #2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 237
Register to hide this ad
Very similar to my Archer antenna. Same brass. Use some Noxon on the brass. Cleans up nice.
 
Very similar to my Archer antenna. Same brass. Use some Noxon on the brass. Cleans up nice.

I'm thinking I have some Brasso. Will also use a cleaner with silicone to get them to expand-collapse easier. :yes:

Also one of the end sections pulls right out, anyway to fix that?
 
I have an old Archer Color Eagle from RS in the mid 80's. Even though it is plastic, I think it is pretty retro looking.
 
Why'd you pass?

I have a set very much like that.
Work great for FM on vintage gear.
No need to "hang" a dipole.
 
This is the modern day equivalent of the rabbit ears, the Magnum Dynalab Silver Ribbon. Bought it for my Marantz 10b so I could watch the multipath function of the oscilloscope as I turned the antenna.

Yours is cooler. :D

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Nice find - we had an antenna very similar to that on our TV when I was a kid. The base weighs like 2 pounds - I used to drop it on my sister's foot when I had the chance - she was older, bigger and deserved it.

Now for a really retro look, you need some gobs of aluminum foil on the tips. It works wonders.
 
I'd love to have a set like that just to plant on top of my 1950s console TV. They wouldn't be hooked up, just there purely for visual reasons.
 
Those (first post) rabbit ears look exactly like the ones my parents had. They got them with their first Emerson black and white TV set, which came from Uncle Jimmy Kirkwood's (my father's uncle) store in Macon, GA.
I'll bet we threw them away last summer, when we cleaned out the old house.
 
Those (first post) rabbit ears look exactly like the ones my parents had. They got them with their first Emerson black and white TV set, which came from Uncle Jimmy Kirkwood's (my father's uncle) store in Macon, GA.
I'll bet we threw them away last summer, when we cleaned out the old house.

Funny how some of these old products were made to last. Unfortunately most manufactured things these days have fallen into the pattern of planned obsolescence and or limited time use and irreparablility.
 
Back
Top Bottom