• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ads?

Register to hide this ad
'74 - '78 @ $900/pair

There was a L810II @ $980/pair from '77 -'84.

I had L500's, and they were an 8" two-way acoustic suspension.
Very robust paper woofer. Don't have them anymore. I think ADS made everything in-house. Telarc uses L1590's for mastering, for what it's worth. Forgot about the sound part. I guess they weren't objectionable, but at the same time I didn't feel there was anything remarkable either. An okay 8" two-way.

Toasted Almond
 
ADS L-810: Specifications

Source: rec.audio.marketplace

From: "Keith Pleas" <keithp@curlew.com>
Subject: Re: ADS L810 speakers
Date: 1998/01/25


I've still got a pair of these too, and, pathetic packrat that I am, I've
got the factory brochure. Here are the specs:

(1) 1" diameter acoustic suspension, soft tissue, dome tweeter with
single-layer, high temperature voice coil.
Magnetic flux density: 1.5 Teslas
Magnetic flux: 360,000 nW
Usable frequency range: 1300-25,000 Hz
Operating frequency range: 4,000 - 25,000 Hz

(1) 2" diameter acoustic suspension, soft tissue dome midrange driver with
high-temperature voice coil.
Magnetic flux density: 1.4 Teslas
Magnetic flux: 1,270,000 nW
Usable frequency range: 400-6,000 Hz
Operating frequency range: 550-4,000 Hz

(2) 8" diameter, long excursion woofers in separate chambers.
High-temperature voice coils.
Magnetic flux density 0.95 Teslas
Magentic flux: 600,000 nW
Resonant frequency: 20 Hz (free air)
Operating frequency range: 20-550 Hz

Speaker System:
Frequency response: 35-20,000 Hz (+/- 3db)
20-22,000 Hz (+/- 5db)
Impedance: 4 Ohms minimum, 6 Ohms typical
Power ratingL 75W RMS
Recommended amplifier power: 20W RMS min, 200W RMS max
Efficiency: 93 dB SPL (at 1 Watt RMS input at 1 meter)
Crossover: 550 & 4,000 Hz, slope 12dB/octave
Weight: 46.5 lbs. net
Size: 25th" (H) x 14-1/8" (W) x 11-3/4" (D)
Cabinet finish: Select natural walnut
Grill: Removable black cloth
Recommended accessory: Black metal base ADS 800LF

I've also got a copy of a review from that period that said that they
benefited from the stands (actually, they needed to be off the floor about
10"). In 20 years or so I've had them, I had to replace a midrange which
(ironically) ended up going bad again recently. I've got a couple of
Dynaudio drivers on the way to replace them...

Keith
 
ADS L810: Opinions

Source: rec.audio.marketplace

I'm not the person who posted these speakers, however I had a
pair a few years back, and they are beautiful speakers indeed. They
were a three way design. Each cabinet had a soft dome tweeter, soft
dome midrange and a 8" woofer. The cabinets were beautiful walnut, with
a nice black cloth grill. I also had the L-910 which was even better.

The L-810 looked like your more conventional well made speaker system,
the 910 looked more like a beautiful piece of furniture that you show to
everyone that walks in the house !! Just thought I would offer my 2
cents.

For what these speakers are being offered for, if they are not
scratched, or defective, BUY THEM NOW, DON'T ASK TO MANY QUESTIONS, the
L-810 came from a time period ADS made a damn good speaker !!
 
Last edited:
ADS L-810: Orion Bluebook Prices

Official Orion Blue Book ReportBook:
Monday, May 06, 2002

Item requested
MANUFACTURE ID: ads
MODEL: l- 810
ITEM: spk
DESCRIPTION:
USED (List Price): $ 297
MSRP (List Price): $ 900
MINT (Wholesale): $ 173.1906
AVERAGE (Wholesale): $ 100.9932

"Real-world", market place prices tend to be in the $400 to $550 range.
 
Last edited:
My ADS L810 Series 2

These have metal grills to protect the silk dome tweeters.
 
Last edited:
My ADS L810 Series 2

The cabinet are finished in real walnut veneer.
The cabinets are built with radius edges.
 
Brief History of ADS

Source: rec.audio.marketplace
__________________________________

From: robotstalk@my-dejanews.com
Date: 1999/05/26

Kind of a cool story here. The founder, Godehard Gunther, was a NASA
guy and subordinate of Werner Von Braun. If there was a relationship
between Von Braun and Braun hifi, I am not aware of it but who knows?
ADS was however dependent on Braun hifi only for material to resell.
They were not owned by them or even German. ADS was a US company from
the beginning. The founder however was indeed German.

GG began importing Braun in the late 1960's into the US under the Braun
Aria name. Some of the first items were the LV1020 active/triamplified
studio monitor (All active in 1970!) and the TG1000 reel to reel deck.
He also brought in many of the passive loudspeakers.

Importing wooden boxes was prohibitively expensive though. GG left NASA
and opened ADS Aria in Huntsville, AL ~1972 and then moved to MA the
next year. In ~1974, manufacturing began with US sourced cabinets using
Braun drivers and crossovers. Starting in 1975, the first manufacture of
US made copies of the Braun drivers began. In 1981, Gillette approached
GG and sold the hifi division of Braun to ADS. This relationship lasted
until 1990 when the hifi division was sold back to Gillette. It was
never profitable but the marriage brought some interesting products into
the US.

The usage of notable industrial designers should also be mentioned.
Braun used Dieter Rams for their hifi products until the early 1980's
and then Peter Hartwein picked up the ball. ADS used Hartmut Esslinger
of FROG Design in Berkeley, CA. Esslinger did the first Macintosh. Rams
& Hartwein did so many classic Braun consumer products that you would
have to be the Unabomber not to recognize them.

Another side note are where some of the people at a/d/s/ went. Michael
Kelly (Pres., Aerial Acoustics), Chris Browder (Pres. B&W USA) are
alum's as well as a list of others too lengthy to go into here.

The 710's were quite interesting. The tweeter/midrange layout was such
so that when the product was placed on a bookshelf on their side, the HF
alignment was vertical. They actually image quite nice when used that
way. The foam surrounds were because the woofer frame used for the 7" in
the 710 was an odd size in the speaker industry. Only one supplier
produced the cone and surround. It was not until that supplier switched
to butyl rubber that a change could be made. The foam surrounds were
used on the series one (cloth grille) and some early series 2 (metal
grilles).

This is the one speaker from the early period that most are familiar
with and have favorable comments about. No surprise since it was one of
the largest sellers next to the mini L200 series.

Leif
 
WOW.........I am going to have to pull those out of my neighbors shed and clean the bird droppings off them and see if the 300B will drive them.
If so then get him down to listen to them.
He is real diplomatic about things and there is a spousal issue on stereo gear I believe. Other wise I think I would have him hooked.
 
I have been hot on this type of speaker for some time now. More so the original Brauns. I have a pair of Braun 710's. Very nice sounding speaker. :)
 
I think you may have me mixed up with someone else there "God of Thunder". The individual that posted all the tech data was "ethink", not me. The only thing I would be an acknowledged GURU at, would be being me.

Your speakers look very nice, and probably fill the room with sound.

Toasted Almond
 
Thatch,

Oh, yeah, the ADS L810's are one of those "classic" speakers that put its manufacturer "on the map." Well worth getting your hands on if ever possible. I definitely wanted a pair back in "the days..." :p:
 
I took a Fisher PP 7868 up there and it could not drive those speakers worth a hoot. They might be rated at 93db but I doubt I got 93 db with the amp cranked. Of course they have been sitting in a shed and one cabinet was shot. I guess the drivers might be worth selling though it seemed one of the 8" was shot. Too bad.
 
Back
Top Bottom