• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Harmon&Kardon receiver

legal eagle

Sound Hound
I bought this receiver on the pray on a whim, and have yet to receive it:no:. However, I have no idea what model it is, or actually ANYTHING about it.

Does any Kardonite know what this is and can educate me? :scratch2:
 

Attachments

Register to hide this ad
In 1973-76 there were SL-1012 systems. This certainly looks to be older than 1973. My blue book lists begin at 1968, so my guess is your HK is older than 1968.
 
This was a bottom of the line unit, low wattage. Note that the turntable connection is for turntables with a ceramic cartridge. A magnetic cartridge turntable will not give you enough volume.

The original came with a pair of speakers that plugged in via RCA jacks. It should have the speakers included, but if it doesn't I would try mating it with small speakers like radio shack 7's, the radio shack Presidians that were on sale for $20 a pair or some other low cost units. It could be fun to play with!

Have fun!
 
:tears:

...and I thought I found a jem in the rough...thought this was some rare exotic receiver of very limited production that got discontinued for it was way too ahead of its time :cry:.

Ahh, I'll just wait 'till I play with it a little and see what it's like. For what it cost, its worth the shot :dunno:
 
It was a move downmarket for HK. This was part of a set of integrated systems commonly called, 'compact stereos'. One of the pioneers of these was KLH in the 60s. Fisher and HK quickly went downmarket to compete. You have evidence of those days.

BTW, the old KLH systems sounded quite good. Some of the Fishers did, too.

Cheers,

David
 
Nice chassis to build something in?

I saw one of those on shopgoodwill. If you are into wood cabinets, it could be a good project box.

Eirikur
 
John, they were simply ahead of the others in innovation. Delete the phono preamp and make room for a second hi-level input for the mp3 player, something Harmon must have been thinking about maybe 45 years before it got invented.
 
Back
Top Bottom