• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New owner of a Fisher TA 500

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
Just picked this one up over the weekend.

Question number 1: When bringing this up on a variac should I have speakers plugged with a load?
 

Attachments

  • fisher3.jpg
    fisher3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 39
Register to hide this ad
Yes, absolutely. Never operate a transforrmer coupled vacuum tube power amplifier unloaded (open circuited). Either use a dummy load (noninductive power resistor) or a speaker.

The TA 500 is considered one of the best mono receivers of all.
 
Yes, absolutely. Never operate a transforrmer coupled vacuum tube power amplifier unloaded (open circuited). Either use a dummy load (noninductive power resistor) or a speaker.

The TA 500 is considered one of the best mono receivers of all.

That is what I thought. Thanks! I have a feeling this one was in service shorthly before I purchased it from the estate. It was still hooked up. It certainly is beefy enough.
 
After letting her warm up slowly for the past day she is up and running. I now have a good start on a mono system!
 

Attachments

  • fisher4.jpg
    fisher4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 36
  • fisher5.jpg
    fisher5.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 40
Since this thread is not about valuation, nor does it contain any auction/sales links, it really doesn't belong in D&S. I'm moving it to Tube Audio, where it will get better exposure.

Nice receiver, btw!
 
heh....

Now you just need to talk James out of his Altec 828/511 singleton....:thmbsp:

Shouldn't be too hard to do.....:yes:
 
I have one of these receivers, as well. It's really very impressive, but mine is in serious need of a restore or could be bad enough where parting it out is the only logical thing to do with it. If I find another beater, I might make a pair of custom monoblocks with the iron.
 
That's nice. Congratulations on the find. I always thought if I found one locally I'd pick it up and add a nice smaller vintage speaker and use it as a tabletop radio.
 
I have one of these receivers, as well. It's really very impressive, but mine is in serious need of a restore or could be bad enough where parting it out is the only logical thing to do with it. If I find another beater, I might make a pair of custom monoblocks with the iron.
I would think that a pair of these would rival any other vintage stereo system of the day.
 
Congratulations!

Fisher made a nice little cabinet for that receiver in 1959. I'll keep an eye out for you - it was called an Ambassador II. Oddly, it was a stereo cabinet. A TA-500 was paired with a 30-A amp through a 30-C preamp/controller. I'm not sure exactly how that worked but I bet it worked well.


1959AmbassadorII.jpg


From what I can tell the TA-500 was Fisher's first receiver. The ads for it appeared in late 1957. Truly a unique looking receiver and one of my favorites.

CA-40Nov57.jpg
 
I do have a letter from Fisher dated March 6, 1959 offering the TK-5 conversion kit which consists of a dual volume control, A Model 30-C Master Audio Control and The Fisher Model 30-A Power Amplifier to make it stereo the total cost was $131.95. Not an inexpensive proposition in 1959 dollars. I also have brochres for the 30-A and 30-C.
 
Back
Top Bottom