• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Distributed Bass done cheap...

dnewma04

The Healer
I've often recommended distributed bass systems and just as often acknowledge that it's not something that is feasible for many for a number of reasons. Space and cost being the primary issues. I know that by search on ebay and craigslist, deals can be found but that's not necessarily easy work and some people just want to have matching subs which will be tough to accomplish. Well, today, on woot, they have some Jamo subwoofers for 150.00 each with a limit of 3.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/jamo-360w-10-subwoofer-1

I just purchased 3 of them and will be implementing them in one of my rooms at an upcoming audio meet (July SMAC meet). I don't know anything about them other than Jamo is a respectable brand, the subwoofers are relatively appealling looking, and if I don't find them particularly great, I can sell them easily without losing anything. Also, they have variable level, crossover and phase controls.

When they arrive, I'll post some room measurements with and without them. Stay tuned.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Down 3 at 28...not too bad. Seems the verdict is in that three or more mediocre subs beats one outstanding one, so unless the Jamo is a real stinker this may be one hell of good way to try DB. Any idea yet where you think you'll be setting low pass? What mains are you gonna pair with the Jamos? Those unity horns?

- Michael
 
FWIW, I have done a number of distributed bass setups. This is just an attempt at seeing what can be done with very little cost involved. I don't expect it to beat the Lambda PB15 and dual Shivas.

I'll be starting off setting them up in a room with some NHT SuperTwos and swapping some Dennis Murphy designed and David Newman tweaked ( :) ) MB0W1s.
 
Will having three of them allow the frequency response to go lower than the 28hz listed for one?
 
Will having three of them allow the frequency response to go lower than the 28hz listed for one?

No, but it will give you a hell of a lot better chance at hearing down to 28 Hz were just one sub could excite a room mode and create a null down there.
 
Most of the bad modal behavior will happen upwards of 40-50hz up to 200-250hz. The very deep stuff is usually fairly well behaved.
 
Just one up.
I'm thinking of using it only for 50 Hz and below to pair with the DQ-10s and the 104/2s. Limited range, but should fill whatever void there exists down there.
 
Just one up.
I'm thinking of using it only for 50 Hz and below to pair with the DQ-10s and the 104/2s. Limited range, but should fill whatever void there exists down there.

There seems to be a common belief that a subwoofer should have very little to no overlap with the mains, but I get much better results doing just the opposite.

I run my mains wide open, and run my subs up to 100-150hz. The subs overlapping with the mains is more beneficial to the distributed bass smoothing effect than running the subs with a very low crossover point. Also, some think unless you run the sub with a really low crossover point, you'll be able to locate it more easily, but again, I disagree. Localization is generally due to the sub/subs being too loud in relation to the mains not the crossover point. I cannot hear mine or tell where they are, but if I turn them off, the rooms bass goes to crap.

And yes, I second getting 3!
 
Way to take one for the team, Dave!

I'll be starting off setting them up in a room with some NHT SuperTwos and swapping some Dennis Murphy designed and David Newman tweaked ( :) ) MB0W1s.

Those Murphyblasters are outstanding!
 
Where is your sense of adventure and desire for superior bass? Only one? Get 3! :)

A lot of portable DJ's use one subwoofer per speaker.
Some PA subs have stand mount holder for the speakers.

If we do the same, we can use 5 or 7 subs depending upon HT receiver.
Think about bringing theater experience in the house. :music:

MackieSRMSubGroupPhoto.jpg
 
A lot of portable DJ's use one subwoofer per speaker.
Some PA subs have stand mount holder for the speakers.

If we do the same, we can use 5 or 7 subs depending upon HT receiver.
Think about bringing theater experience in the house. :music:

MackieSRMSubGroupPhoto.jpg

It's actually not that unorthodox. Some of the guys over at AVS are running commercial grade theater rigs in their homes, including subs for every channel.
 
can't afford 3, and too hard to hide in the house.

but 1 i can handle.

i'm curious how it will perform over my Pinnacle Sub 100, which was only $125 and has served me well for 5 years.
 
Most of the bad modal behavior will happen upwards of 40-50hz up to 200-250hz. The very deep stuff is usually fairly well behaved.

Hmm. I'll be damned. First I've ever heard this. And looking back over all my room measurements I see that, indeed, everything looked good below 40 Hz every time. Good to know, Dave. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom