• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Distributed Bass done cheap...

Wow do those ever look nice.

Do these subs integrate easily into the sound? I've made up my mind, I want to do distributed bass in my new house for better sound but also to help reduce the "booming bass" my neighbours are going to hear. If I can start out fairly cheaply and get better sound I'm all for it, but if the subs are easy to hear I don't think it'll be worth it.
 
Thanks, it was my first shot at unbacked veneer and I was pretty happy with the results. The bass sounds pretty good. I think the amps have a little 30 he boost that shows up in the response but unless you listen to something with content that low you don't notice it. Listening to some songs from the Warren Bernhardt trio showed a lot of promise. The bass was deep, tight, and really had little sign of one note bass. With just the one subwoofer on, there was less definition.

I listened to some Flim and the BBs as well, with similar results. These aren't going to take the place of a triplet of better subs, but I've never heard a 500.00 sound better.
 
Btw, the neighbor being less annoyed isn't a sure thing, but its possible. It's certainly not the reason to move towards distributed bass.
 
Remind me, what did you say you had for bass trapping in that room, Dave?

And you have, what, a little over 10 db delta there between 35 and 80 and then then a similar delta between 80 and 100? And that sounds pretty good to you?

Not trying to challenge you or be a wise guy, just getting perspective here as I'm deeply entrenched in treating my room for LF response before I surrender to DB....or maybe that should be progress to DB.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to share all this with us.

- Michael
 
Last edited:
Currently, no bass trapping. I simply placed subs roughly where experience told me they should go and went about some adjustments. It's still not as good as I'd like, but its damn close for an hour of playing.
 
Post 56 has measurements after a bit of tweaking. The original response was just by ear getting just the spl roughly set the way most people might have to do.
 
Looking forward to what the end results will be, assuming no room treatment
and a threesome of cost effective subs.

Can you describe your integration regarding the connection of multiple
subs in a 2 channel system, a bunch of Y's ?
 
Looking forward to what the end results will be, assuming no room treatment
and a threesome of cost effective subs.

Can you describe your integration regarding the connection of multiple
subs in a 2 channel system, a bunch of Y's ?


In my case, my preamp has 2 sub outputs (that does make it easier than a single sub out), so one output drives one Polk sub, then the other drives my Velodyne, and with a few y adapters at the connection, then in turn drives the third Polk sub.
 
Now that you mention it, my Velodyne has preouts, so I don't use any y adapters. I used to have to because the Polks don't have preouts, when my the preamp I had just had one sub out, but now that I have two sub outs, one drives one Polk, the other drives the Velodyne, and then the preout from it goes to the third Polk.

I had forgot how I had it hooked up, so I looked at it and realized how it is.
 
No new measurements to post, but I have to say, this is sounding fantastic as I'm listening to Deep Water by Lee Harvey Osmond. I'm rarely ever so satisfied that I don't feel like measuring, but this is close.
 
No new measurements to post, but I have to say, this is sounding fantastic as I'm listening to Deep Water by Lee Harvey Osmond. I'm rarely ever so satisfied that I don't feel like measuring, but this is close.

That's significant as I'm sure your ear is well trained and, dare I say, not easy to please. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom