• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Distributed Bass done cheap...

RayW
So with a rooms longest dimension say 25ft the frequency when
nodes would appear should be approximately 90hz and the magnitude
mitigated by room absorption or in the context of this discussion DB.

You went the wrong direction. Like Dave said, you'd be looking at ~23Hz. A 25' wavelength corresponds to about 45Hz. Doubling the wavelength would correspond to half that. That's about where you would get into pressurizing the room.
 
The external mic from the iphone 3G and 3GS did very well with bass. The newer model headsets are mostly useless for bass.
 
Tossed a few subs randomly around the room just for fun. Tuned quickly by ear. Results are promising even without measurements. A quick measurement on my phone using AudioTools shows the 100hz dip I was getting before is mostly gone.
 
RayW
You went the wrong direction. Like Dave said, you'd be looking at ~23Hz. A 25' wavelength corresponds to about 45Hz. Doubling the wavelength would correspond to half that. That's about where you would get into pressurizing the room.


Not the first time I took a wrong turn, I have since installed corner
absorbers {floor to ceiling} and the results are very good.

Note the size of the triangle was changed from initial posting.

can be seen here
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=438035&d=1371936108
 
Sneak peak.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 209
Blue is 0 subs.
Purple is 1 sub.
Red is three sort of randomly set up with no tweaking to anything other than just general level.

1 sub exhibited the same hole at 100hz as no subwoofers. 1 sub has more output than 3, but isn't as smooth. Three smooth things out a bit with almost no effort.
 
Did some more tweaking. Haven't moved mains or the subwoofers yet, just adjustments to level, phase, and crossovers.
I'm getting close.

attachment.php


The hole at 141hz is interesting. I think with a little longer USB cord, I'll be able to get the mic just a bit closer to the listening position and I bet that gets significantly better.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to guess blue is without the subs, purple is two, and red is three.:scratch2:

Hmm my guess is that red is three, notice the dip, red has the most even response.

Edit: looks like I responded too late. But I was right!

How are these subs sounding? And with what mains are you running them with?
 
Back
Top Bottom