• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

One year later... My audio odyssey

Redboy

a few good watts
I realized last night that it's been one year almost to the day that I stumbled onto the garage sale that changed everything...

I picked up a Pioneer SX-780 that day, along with some HPM-60 speakers for $35 total. When I got home I fired it up, and that was the exact moment of my revelation!

141_4154.jpg


IMG_5188.jpg


I couldn't believe the sound I was hearing! I plugged a CD player into it, and started hearing things in my music that I'd never heard before. I loved it... and I wanted to hear more!
 
Register to hide this ad
I found the AK site right away when it popped up over and over in Google searches as I fed my new addiction. I soon realized that AK is the authority on this subject material. I was able to troubleshoot any problems that cropped up and get my gear singing!

It wasn’t long before I met member ejfud, when I bought a beautiful Pioneer SX-850 from him:

141_4173-1.jpg


I was really impressed by Gary’s listening room but frankly a little scared of the glowing tubes in there… :para:
 
My fear didn’t last long! With ejfud and doucanoe cheering (jeering?) me on, I landed a nice pair of Klipsch Forte’s and soon jumped headlong into tubes when I bought an Eico HF-81. :banana:

144_4403.jpg
 
Redboy said:
I couldn't believe the sound I was hearing! I plugged a CD player into it, and started hearing things in my music that I'd never heard before. I loved it... and I wanted to hear more!

It's amazing how many people don't give a rip about quality audio when you point out how the conversion is so simple.:thmbsp:
 
If hearing the SX-780 before had been a revelation, then what I was hearing now with this setup constituted a true religious conversion! I was a tubie now! I started pulling apart consoles… :screwy:

144_4406.jpg


IMG_5793.jpg


IMG_4645.jpg


IMG_6194.jpg
 
The last year has been a ton of fun!

I love my newfound hobby. :yes:

I love my newly rediscovered music! :music:

And I’ve loved “meeting” all the top-notch, high caliber people that frequent this incomparable forum! :thmbsp:

Thanks to everyone that’s helped me along the way and let’s hear it again for AK!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
 
you're on the fast-track !

I've been lumbering through 'vintage audio land' for about 5 years now and I think we're about neck and neck, although I'm branching off in one regard :yes:

You: Eico; Me: Sherwood
You: Olsen SE Tube console amp; Me: Magnavox PP tube console amp
You: Klipsch Forte's; Me: Open Baffle DIY

coooooooome to the daaaaark siiiiide . . . . make some ooooopen baaaaaaaffles :D
 
Ok . . . .

just saw you're last two posts here and I'd like to amend my statement:

I'M JEALOUS :jawdrop:

Add to my list:

large format horns
2a3 or 45 DIY project

both have been in my head, but now I am compelled !

YAY AK ! my addiction would be lonely if not for you !
 
markus said:
You: Klipsch Forte's; Me: Open Baffle DIY

coooooooome to the daaaaark siiiiide . . . . make some ooooopen baaaaaaaffles :D
Definitely not out of the question for a (very) future project... I need a different space for that one, though.
 
Great story.
My experience is sort of similar ,except for tubes...yet. Right down to the encouragement from members, including yourself, that I'm afraid I'll never be able to thank enough.
Glad to see your high efficiency speakers are under way. Total sweetness.

Yes, We are in heaven.
 
Thanks. "Never Stop Exploring," huh? :yes:

I've got a feeling this is just the beginning...

Oh yeah, there's a dark side to this hobby, too... At one point I had this in my garage!

IMG_6208.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14
Redboy said:
Oh yeah, there's a dark side to this hobby, too... At one point I had this in my garage!
Now how many of us have garages that look like that??? :D Mine looked just like that last fall before I started selling stuff off.

So what's next? Roundies?
 
Back
Top Bottom