• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood: Rare and MASSIVE speaker score

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
Scored me a pair of rare MV-9D Kenwoods. I didn't get a deal on them like everyone brags about, but it was a fair deal for both me and the seller.

I don't know a lot of details other than they weigh about 100 lbs each, they are HUGE, they are rated at 700 watts, did I mention they are HUGE? .. 4 x 12", a small tweet, and a horn.. actually made of metal :) I do know they were only made for sales to military over seas.. If anyone else has any other info, like senstivity and other good stuff.. Please let me know..

These thing ROCK.. DAMN!!!! I included an album in the picture so you can get a better idea of the size of these things.. I'll post some more pictures here in a bit after I pull a couple speakers out to see what these things are really made of....
 

Attachments

  • pic 5a.jpg
    pic 5a.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,820
Register to hide this ad
Scored me a pair of rare MV-9D Kenwoods. I didn't get a deal on them like everyone brags about, but it was a far deal for both me and the seller.

When are you going to stop collecting small bookshelf speakers and get something that will rock?

Those things look like they'd be painful in anything smaller than Madison Square Garden. With 4x12 I'll be they have a high enough sensitivity to be driven by a Walkman and still cause hearing damage. How's the tonal balance?

Ray
 
Nice choice of album there! How big are those woofers?

Yeh.. I figured I'd use something classic :)

They're 12... I pulled one.. couldn't get the camera to take a good pic inside.. too close.. but has a nice crossover, and the horn is really impressive from the back side.. not what I was expecting.

The drivers don't look to be real special.. normal size mag, stamped basket.. Has Kenwood Japan on them.. and around the base of the cone near the coil, You can see where there are holes venting through to under the dust cap.. hhhmm.. interesting..
 
When are you going to stop collecting small bookshelf speakers and get something that will rock?

Those things look like they'd be painful in anything smaller than Madison Square Garden. With 4x12 I'll be they have a high enough sensitivity to be driven by a Walkman and still cause hearing damage. How's the tonal balance?

Ray

I only heard them in the guy's garage.. I'm busy hooking them up now.. Got them setting on top of my subs, and the stack is taller than me :)

I will be running them on a crossover, feeding everything over 150hz to them.. so I'm curious how they will sound.. In his garage they sounded really great.. the mids seemed to be what stuck out most, ,but the highs were all there and really crisp, and the lows were thumping.. I'm sure his neighbors were hating us there for about 10 minutes.. insanely loud..
 
Well.. I't official... The wife, even though she was thoroughly pissed off about me getting these, has changed her attitude, and is actully really impressed by them.. She said they blow away the sound of the Communities I have.. Which I already knew they would do when I first saw them... THe first song I had to try out for her.. Boston, More than a Feeling.. and MAN OH MAN do these things crank!!! and sound super clean!!!!!

So, I'm gonna be taking a loss on the old speakers.

Here's another picture of how I've got them set up...
 

Attachments

  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,522
Night club speaks...nice.

The little hemisphere tweets (in the 4x12 section) look a lot like an old radioshack offering (p/n 40-1377)...dandy

Yup.......check out a Mach 2. Bi-radial horn tweeter. :yes:

That set-up looks fantastic Similost. Looks like something a live band would have :thmbsp:
 
Invert them on the subs, so the mids and highs are in the middle.... :yes:

I agree, a big part of the sound is blowing right over your head. Flip those Kennys up side down and get the HF driver nearer ear level :thmbsp:
 
Invert them on the subs, so the mids and highs are in the middle.... :yes:

I agree completely.. when I was first setting them on the subs, I told the wife I was probably messing up by not flipping them and having to do that later..

I am pretty surprised though, and am getting a hell of a lot more highs out of them like they are than I would have imagined.. I was planning on fliping them over tonight after I got home from work.
 
Yup.......check out a Mach 2. Bi-radial horn tweeter. :yes:

That set-up looks fantastic Similost. Looks like something a live band would have :thmbsp:

The live band sound is pretty much why I went with what I've got.. Yeh.. looks kinda strange in a living room, but I've spent so many years in night clubs and bars listening to live bands, that when I listen to most home systems, it just doesn't have the SPL's and driving force behind it I crave.. even at lower levels, I still like to be able to feel the music :thumbsup:
 
They score a 9+ on visual presentation alone.:thmbsp:

Mighty handsome atop those 118BW's.:yes:

Nice score.:D

I'm gonna give them at least a 9 on the sound quality too.. I need to get my crossover outta the mix, and run them straight full range and see what they will really do... at the moment, everything over 100hz is going into them.. the mids are really sweet sounding, and the highs are straight forward, crisp, and actually a little more forward than I would have ever expected.. I have no clue what kind of driver is on that horn, but man is it really wicked.. The communities don't hold a candle to these things.. and those were a good sounding speaker...

A little bit to attest to the sound of them.. especially mixed with the Peavies.. I thought my wife was going to turn into a "nun" over these speakers.. she was beyond pissed I was even going to look at them.. not to mention what she said about if I bought them...

SO.. I decided to take the forgiveness road instead of the permission road... Lets just say, after all the dirty looks and not being talked to, we both agreed I made the right decision.

I dropped her favorite album I have on the turn table this morning.. Alan Parsons Project Pyramid. Had them playing at a pretty fair level... She came down from getting ready for work, and sat down and started listening.. the first time I've ever seen her listen to anything like she was really paying attention to the sound.. and she just said "WOW, You did good honey"

hhhmm.. now if I could just figure out how to sneek some tubes and some altecs in.. I'd probably getting a hell of a lot more every day ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom