• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Differences Between CD Players?

operaman

Super Member
I know I'm probably asking for it, but curious:

Do you Expert Ears out there hear any big difference between CD players? Don't they all just read and deliver a digital image, which should be the same in most cases? Are there CD players that perform really highly compared to others?

I might want to upgrade mine, because it's old and the drawer is a little funny. I hate features - don't care much for multi-changers, would prefer just a 1-disc drawer. If I'd pay extra, it would probably be to have this! And a sleek, simple look.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, cd players do sound different imo. I have never heard a better one than the one I use currently. Build quality, DACs, transports etc... differ depending on brand and or model.
 
There is defently a difference, I have heard it myself, and it is easy to hear if you plug a cheep portable CD player into your system and compare it to a good one, the difference is very big.
 
IMO, more alike than different.

It all depends somewhat on opinion. One person's "night and day" is to another person "subtle".

I believe I've heard some difference between players, but I would classify those differences as subtle.

One I liked that didn't break the bank was Music Hall CD-25. Still might be more than you want to spend... around $300 used, give or take.

The Onyx version (XCD-99 or CD-5) is basically the same thing with cosmetic changes for a bit less $.
 
There is defently a difference, I have heard it myself, and it is easy to hear if you plug a cheep portable CD player into your system and compare it to a good one, the difference is very big.

Possibly.

OTOH, I'm not sure you can categorically draw this conclusion.
 
Ohmigod!

Operaman;

I have the opera album that you are using as your avatar!

I think it's only the second time I've ever seen it in my life!

I don't think I've played it in a couple of decades.

Now, I'm curious: I'll play it this weekend.

By the way: yes, there are enormous differences in CD players. I have two Sonys: SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES. The 2000 cost significantly more than the 595. In my main music system the 595 screeches on crescendos; the 2000 makes my regular CDs sound better than they ever have. So, you need to give them a listen. IMHO, combo DVD/CD units just don't cut the mustard.

Thanks!
 
I know I'm probably asking for it, but curious:

Do you Expert Ears out there hear any big difference between CD players? Don't they all just read and deliver a digital image, which should be the same in most cases? Are there CD players that perform really highly compared to others?

I might want to upgrade mine, because it's old and the drawer is a little funny. I hate features - don't care much for multi-changers, would prefer just a 1-disc drawer. If I'd pay extra, it would probably be to have this! And a sleek, simple look.

Yes, there are differences, and just like any other source component, they will only be as apparent as the rest of the system allows them to be.

What makes them different? A short list:

1. A high quality mechanism, as vibration-free as possible, to help prevent laser read errors.

2. A well-constructed digital clock circuit, again, to keep data from being corrupted.

3. A very high quality digital-to-analogue converter (DAC). Some players have multiple DAC chips, to help insure the right data gets turned into audio, or some players upsample, for the same reason. A high quality DAC is capable of putting out a very accurate "soundwave" compared to what went in during the mastering process. Note: This can also be a curse when playing badly recorded material! :D

4. An extremely high quality analogue output section. This is basically a small, fixed gain and volume preamplifier inside the CD player itself. You are right to expect that this section be built of a design and parts as good as your regular preamplifier. If not, there are many companies that build CD players that will.
 
I never believed there could be much of a difference. One day last fall I stopped in a goodwill. There was a Sony CDP-C85ES with remote there for fifteen dollars. I figured what the heck. WOW what a difference from that to the old JVC it replaced. I knew there was something about the Sony when I looked at it. It weighed quite a bit more than I expected.
Bryan
 
If you come out of the CDP digitally and do the ADC elsewhere.....no diff. It's all in the converter IMHO.
 
Operaman;

I have the opera album that you are using as your avatar!

I think it's only the second time I've ever seen it in my life!

Thanks!

I have always had nightmares from this album cover! Birgit Nilsson = WOW! what a voice... but man I have never seen her look worse! I actually ran across it recently in a book celebrating various kinds of album-cover art - so perhaps this Salome cover is legendary to the record industry. The recording certainly is.

Check out the final 15 minutes on side Four: "Ja, ich habe deinen Mund gekuesst, Jochanaan!". Now THAT's what I'm talkin' bout! :music:
 
Two-part answer from yours truly, worth exactly what you're paying for it:

One, yes they do sound very, very different -- particularly with respect to inner detail resolution, soundstage, and producing a convincingly integrated sound.

Two, the more expensive one is not always (or even generally) the better one. I recently had an Arcam FMJ-CD23 hooked up side-by-side with the Naim CD-5. It should have been no contest, and it WAS no contest... just not in favor of the player that cost $3000 when it was new!
 
Yes, listen to dog-or-man... especially the soundstage. I have not made a hobby of testing players, but I have done it enough to know that you can put yourself in the poorhouse getting the best CD sound. As mentioned, there are giant killers out there that perform well above their price bracket. The second way to save money is to know the better 80's brands and buy a vintage machine. The third way is expensive. Second hand recently upgraded models. There are people far wealthier than you or I that feel the need to upgrade to impress their friends. There are some VERY fine machines to be had for less than half the retail price, but you are still looking at the $1000-2000 price range.

A DVD player makes a horrible no sound stage CD player. A bottom end current CD separate will have a reasonable sound stage. A high end vintage or vintage giant killer from the 80's will sound better still with a large sound stage. My personal favourite is the current (2000 or later) mid to high end tube CD players. These players will envelop you in the sound stage.

Players I recommend looking for/auditioning. 80's Sony, 80's Yamaha, high end 80's Denon, Denon DCD 610 (1988 Giant Killer), and anything Shanling with tubes in it... especially the CD T100 (which was mid high end, but punched above it's weight).
 
I'd second a lot of the info here. My experience with higher-end Sonys (80s ES stuff) has been great. I disagree about DVD players, somewhat. I hated the sound of my mid-level Onkyo, so did some research and bought a Sony DVP-7000 (dual dedicated lasers, $1K new, about $100 now), and have been extremely happy with its CD sound (use in my main system).
 
It's a very subjective matter. More subjective than speakers.

Most people don't have a speakers that are sensitive to different cd players. A good speaker can reveal alot.

A person's ear tells alot as well. The older we get, the less high frequency we hear. So that's another big variable.

Analogies I use are $100 wine vs $5 wine from Trader's Joes. Camry and Porsche at 80mph. To some these are heaven and earth, to same about the same.

wsjoe
 
You see? You got all the opinions you need without any fighting here. Try this on other sites! :bash: :twak: :pistols:
 
I find the older players from the late 80's sound better. I think the most you have to worry about is how well they track when there are smudges, fingerprints, etc and how well they play CD-R disks if you have any.
 
The Pierre Verrany scratch-skip and error correction test cd is very handy when checking cd transports. In this area there are big differences between players.
 
Add another vote that there are differences though they are often subtle and IMO vary based on the disc.

I bought a stand alone DAC about 6 months ago and at first thought I bought into the hype about these components. However as the unit got boken in I did begin to notice a wider sound stage on certain recordings-more depth if that makes sense. On certain classical recordings and other discs like Dire Straits' "Bother in Arms" I was just hearing instruments and sounds in a detailed way that I was not hearing before the DAC or for that matter when I added a Sony SACD player.

The cost for upgrading was minimal for me and being somewhat a budget minded guy I would not run out and buy a real expensive CDP or DAC. Depending on the music you listen to and the quality of your other gear it could be worth it to upgrade beyond a bargain basement player. As with speakers I would take a recording that you are very familar with and try to demo units (making sure the other components are the same) to see if you notice differences and buy what sounds best for you.
 
Two-part answer from yours truly, worth exactly what you're paying for it:

One, yes they do sound very, very different -- particularly with respect to inner detail resolution, soundstage, and producing a convincingly integrated sound.

Two, the more expensive one is not always (or even generally) the better one. I recently had an Arcam FMJ-CD23 hooked up side-by-side with the Naim CD-5. It should have been no contest, and it WAS no contest... just not in favor of the player that cost $3000 when it was new!

So, the Arcam lists for about $2K and the Naim about $3K...(both are a little beyond my means)...and the Arcam beat the Naim?
The Arcam FMJ is based on the Alphas. Would I do well to look for an old Arcam Alpha CD player?
Thanks
Adam
 
Back
Top Bottom