• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Differences Between CD Players?

:dunno::dunno:I am 50 and no longer have 'Golden Ears'. And yet... the differences between units can be really un-subtle.

Same with the differences between speakers, amps, pre-amps, etc.

OTOH, I was at a cafe this morning and heard a set of Bose floor standing speakers that I really liked. So what do I know. :dunno:
 
Some of the best inexpensive used cdp's I have heard were Arcam Alphas. I pick up every Alpha 1 I see, since they usually go for about $20. Then I give them to people who need a cdp, after tell me there is no difference between cdps, until they hear the Arcam, at which point their ears tell them differently.

If you see an Alpha 8 or 9, for a good price, DON'T pass it by!
 
Oh, I almost forgot. The Arcams I have used have never hiccupped on a CD-R, and will play all but the very worst dirty/scratched discs.

My current player is a Lector CDP0.6T, and it was a big upgrade over the Arcam Alpha 5 which it replaced.
 
I used to be a die hard "they all sound the same". But they really do sound different, and it's a big enough difference to hear on any reasonably good system. I bought a Sony DVP-S7000 used for cheap money and I'm quite happy with it. There's probably a point of diminishing returns and I hope I'm at or near it. But getting a CD player that is up to the rest of your system does pay off.

By the way, I onyl noticed how poor my CD player was when I got my vinyl rig going well. Having something to contrast it with helps in developing an ear for it.
 
I am pretty skeptical when it comes to a lot of audiophile claims, but there is certainly a difference in sound between cd players. When I upgraded my Rotel RCD-950 to a Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 there was a substantial difference. The Rotel
was a terrific player and very reliable (I don't I have heard the thing skip), but the Ah! was just deeper, smoother, and more open. Some cdp's within the same price range may just sound different rather than one being better than the other . I had a Rega Planet 2000 at home for a while and compared it back and forth with the Ah!. The Rega sounded great and had a sound distinctly different from the Ah!, but I just preferred the tubed player better. However I do think the point of diminishing return comes up a lot sooner than most dealers/manufactures would like you to believe. I also think that the used market is the best way to go for nearly all hi-fi products. Really high-end pieces from 10-15 years ago can be had for the price of new mid-fi pieces. And with the size of the internet marketplace and the ability to research products on boards like this, I really do not understand why anyone would buy a new piece of equipment.
 
Some of the best inexpensive used cdp's I have heard were Arcam Alphas. I pick up every Alpha 1 I see, since they usually go for about $20. Then I give them to people who need a cdp, after tell me there is no difference between cdps, until they hear the Arcam, at which point their ears tell them differently.

If you see an Alpha 8 or 9, for a good price, DON'T pass it by!
I'm so happy to 'hear' that, but I hardly see them used around here. If I do come across an auction or classified, the price is at least $250, and more for upper models. Are they worth that price?
I'd like to get one, if it's in my price range,or increase my price range, if they are worth it, to create more system synergy with my amp, an Alpha 10.
Thanks,
Adam
 
Differences

Operaman;

I have the opera album that you are using as your avatar!

I think it's only the second time I've ever seen it in my life!

I don't think I've played it in a couple of decades.

Now, I'm curious: I'll play it this weekend.

By the way: yes, there are enormous differences in CD players. I have two Sonys: SCD-CE595 and SCD-C2000ES. The 2000 cost significantly more than the 595. In my main music system the 595 screeches on crescendos; the 2000 makes my regular CDs sound better than they ever have. So, you need to give them a listen. IMHO, combo DVD/CD units just don't cut the mustard.

Thanks!

Birgette and I did not connect as I had hoped this weekend. (Yes, I wonder how she ever allowed that cover to go to print!)

Last night I said to myself: "Self, you haven't listened to any SACD surround music in a really long time." So, I plugged it all in and fired up the Sony DVD/SACD player with some fairly benign big band stuff. I listened for about two minutes and said to myself: "Self, that sounds godawful!" So, I unplugged the surround system and went back to the ES Sony in Stereo.

In theory, I could plug the ES into the surround system, but I have this satellite system grounding problem that causes really bad feedback through the McIntoshs. Besides, I haven't ever actually sat in the middle of an orchestra. :D
 
to REK1:

Exactly! Surround sound seems silly for classical music, as it the "random stereo" mixing process, because true High Fidelity for orchestral and opera music means hearing the instruments on one or the other side of you from front-on, and they should not move around at all - otherwise it's quite confusing!

I DID have a date with Birgit this weekend - i sat through all of side 4 of Salome and cranked it. The penultimate chords still have my back tied in a knot. (It was more fun than that sounds!)
 
THANK YOU ALL for your nice responses about CD Player sound. My conclusions:

I believe you when some of you say that there are differences between players. I'm sure if I ever do a side-by-side comparison I will hear the difference. I respond that, like our comrade whose cri de coeur "I Am Not An Audiophile" inspired so much discussion here, I would have to also claim not to be one - I'm a musician, though, and have sat in the middle of an orchestra, and have heard orchestras close-up in some of the world's greatest concert halls, so I know a thing or two about Golden Sound, and I'm pretty sure you could be happy with a $200 CD player! So I'm grateful for your opinions but still pretty skeptical about all this talk from those who seem to think that their "golden ears" can tolerate nothing less than a $1,000 deck. You've been listening to too much equipment and not enough music :)

Pardon my getting snarky here for a moment!:music:
 
I'm so happy to 'hear' that, but I hardly see them used around here. If I do come across an auction or classified, the price is at least $250, and more for upper models. Are they worth that price?
I'd like to get one, if it's in my price range,or increase my price range, if they are worth it, to create more system synergy with my amp, an Alpha 10.
Thanks,
Adam

An Alpha 8 or 9, for $20, would be more than a 'good price', it would be criminal. You should be able to do an Alpha 5 for about $150. An 8 or 9 for anything close to that is a 'must buy'.
 
The sound quality between CDP's is large, the sound quality between older CDP's and modern ones is even larger and the sound quality between a $200.00 unit and a $5000.00+ unit is huge. This is one area of audio that has seen major advances in technology in recent years.

If at all possible, go on down to a real high end shop, bring your CDP along and compare it to some of the units they have. It won't cost you anything other than your time.
 
there's a WORLD of acoustical difference between my PIONEER PD-M6 6-Disc CDP and my reference standard DENON DCD-1500. both are 1986 models. the 1500 of course being the legendary CDP that it is... all things being equal though, the M6 is no slouch either!!:music:
 
There is a subtle difference to cd players. Usually the newer one will sound better than an older on. CD player technology has come a ways since the beginning.
 
Lady Ayeka, I dont have the schematics for your Denon 1500 but if you removed some opamps and replaced some with better ones, there is yet another WORLD of difference you will hear.

Some of the opamps are there to make the the S/N number look good b/c in the 80's and 90's, hiss was a terrible thing.
 
1986 CD player!?

there's a WORLD of acoustical difference between my PIONEER PD-M6 6-Disc CDP and my reference standard DENON DCD-1500. both are 1986 models. the 1500 of course being the legendary CDP that it is... all things being equal though, the M6 is no slouch either!!:music:

I am ASTOUNDED that any CD player from 1986 is still functional! :confused:

I have yet to have one last more than four years (since the first one in about 1983?).

Do you know how to repair them when they break? If so, I'm impressed with that too. :tresbon:

Just amazed!
 
I am ASTOUNDED that any CD player from 1986 is still functional! :confused:

I have yet to have one last more than four years (since the first one in about 1983?).

Do you know how to repair them when they break? If so, I'm impressed with that too. :tresbon:

Just amazed!

the junk will die off, while the quality lives on... the 1500, for instance, is one of the most hardy diehard CDPs ever made...:music:
 
Lady Ayeka, I dont have the schematics for your Denon 1500 but if you removed some opamps and replaced some with better ones, there is yet another WORLD of difference you will hear.

Some of the opamps are there to make the the S/N number look good b/c in the 80's and 90's, hiss was a terrible thing.

i don't doubt it. i might just try that one of these days...:music:
 
I am ASTOUNDED that any CD player from 1986 is still functional! :confused:

I have yet to have one last more than four years (since the first one in about 1983?).

Do you know how to repair them when they break? If so, I'm impressed with that too. :tresbon:

Just amazed!

My Fisher AD-924 from 1986 is still going strong. Listening to it right now :music:
 
You will be amazed how long these cdp's last. Most of my cdps are from mid-late 90's. A few from early 80's and still operating including my Sony CDP-111 (second Sony model ever from 1984). There are a ton of vintage cdps that are still functional. There is one major weak point that finally breaks the cdps: lasers. The other is belt in the tray mechanism.

The lasers have a finite length and overtime they deteorate. I have seen more of this deterioration than just dirt getting inside.

Unfortunately, replacement of the laser is the only way you can actually repair it. Yes, you can try cleaning the lens and lubing the tray mechanism (gears, sliding surfaces) but when the laser is dead, there is very little you can do.

I got a few cdps with dead lasers and some lasers are as cheap as $30 to as high as $1000. The laser for my Onkyo DX-G10 was over $1000 when it was available. Now they are NLA.

wsjoe
 
When used as transports, I haven't heard anything more than very subtle differences between various CDPs. Once you throw the internal DAC into play, the differences aren't usually of the "Holy crap! this sounds like a while new disc!" type, but there are sometimes some relatively distinct differences.
 
Back
Top Bottom