• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First!

highping

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've never owned any Advent speakers before. I picked up a pair for $5.99 each at GW today. :banana:

I believe these are the "New" Loudspeakers. They measure 26" tall, 11.5" deep and 14" wide.

Anyone know how many watts they can handle?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
i have a few pair of speakers that i really enjoy, but of all of them my advent speakers are probably my favorite. for such a modest looking speaker they continuously surprise me (mine are the "smaller" advent loudspeaker). i don't know what the max wattage is, but these are great speakers as many others will tell you.
 
Don't test them mush, that foam is bad.

Have you ever refoamed before?

If not bring them up here and I'll show you how.
 
Thanks Sir.Byrd. I do my own temporary repairs with Elmer's Rubber Cement and paper towels......yeh, I know "ghetto".
I'll take you up on that offer this summer when the weather gets nicer.
Very nice of you.
Cheers!
Bob
 
I will just say what i have heard and found out for myself.Refoam them and feed them a lot of juice.That doesn't mean overdrive them.Like what was said.I am quite pleased with the sound from such a modest box.Nice score for that price.I paid $22 at a thrift for my Utility cabinet Advents which is what you have.
 
They will take most of what you can give them if its unclipped and your amp isn't breathing heavily.

Like for example if you had 360 watts looming above each channel you could probably put 100 of that into each one in my experience.
 
Nice score :) According to the info on the back of my "Original" Advents, they should be able to handle a 120wpc amp or receiver. Get those surrounds replaced before putting power to them though.
 
First some small advice. The advents tweeter is fragile. It was prone to overexcursion on the original design and they helped with the bird cage. As many have said good clean power will bring these to life. They will never push the dBs of a very highly efficient speaker, but they are well known for their sound.
secondly, the clean power. Good speakers are amazing transducers of electrical power to sound within their design limits. The same is true of amplifiers. But cross the boundary of either and one or the other will suffer. That said the easiest way for you to recognize problems is by ear. Music should sound like music. I have heard systems at 95 dBs that would make your ears bleed. Harsh unmusical and distorted. I have personally hooked up some Cerwin Vega D9s to a good amp that reached dB levels that for conversation required shouting. Having said all that it boils down to turn it down if it sounds harsh. More clean power is always preferable to less distorted power. IMO high current controls speakers better. My OLAs do fine on anything from my Concept 7.5D and my Adcom 555. I am much more careful with the Concept. Use quality amps reguardless. ANd I have said way to much. But I have heard people killing speakers with cheap amps and saying they sound good and admiring the volume, and had people try to talk to me when I played good clean music at my levels and they couldn't until I turned the music down, Then their only comment was that it didn't sound that loud. Keep it clean.
 
I've never owned any Advent speakers before. I picked up a pair for $5.99 each at GW today. :banana:

I believe these are the "New" Loudspeakers. They measure 26" tall, 11.5" deep and 14" wide.

Anyone know how many watts they can handle?

Very nice, great find, enjoy!
 
I appreciate everyone's responses. I am listening to them using a Kenwood model Eleven II. I won't "push" them. I made that mistake with my Cerwin Vegas....had 'em cranked up, glanced over at them and watched the foam surrounds start to crumble :tears:
I just wanted to give them a listen to. They are one of 3 sets of speakers I will work on this summer:

Advents - refoam
Cerwin Vegas - refoam
Rectilinears - figure out why the mids don't work


Oh, the repairs went OK. I patched some tears and applied rubber cement to the rest of the surround. I know the word "cement" implies hard/solid, but it's just rubber....and, well, these surrounds are made of foam rubber, aren't they?
 
Last edited:
Quite a neat repair, but watch out for more rot, it will go.

not a MAD repair after all!!

That brings back memories.
 
I appreciate everyone's responses. I am listening to them using a Kenwood model Eleven II. I won't "push" them. I made that mistake with my Cerwin Vegas....had 'em cranked up, glanced over at them and watched the foam surrounds start to crumble :tears:
I just wanted to give them a listen to. They are one of 3 sets of speakers I will work on this summer:

Advents - refoam
Cerwin Vegas - refoam
Rectilinears - figure out why the mids don't work


Oh, the repairs went OK. I patched some tears and applied rubber cement to the rest of the surround. I know the word "cement" implies hard/solid, but it's just rubber....and, well, these surrounds are made of foam rubber, aren't they?

:nono:

I'm serious about refoaming those.

You will NOT get the best sound out of those in their current condition!

its $10 whole dollars to buy the foam, and I'll supply the glue! Seriously, it doesn't get easier than that, unless I buy foam for you!!!
 
:nono:

I'm serious about refoaming those.

You will NOT get the best sound out of those in their current condition!

its $10 whole dollars to buy the foam, and I'll supply the glue! Seriously, it doesn't get easier than that, unless I buy foam for you!!!



Point taken. You've been PM'd young man! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom