• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

A "Karma Initiative"...'Stormy Monday'

Fred Sanford

Addicted Member
X-25 pitched an idea in this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288388

...for an AK over-the-internet band project. We'll be following up on X's tune(s) either on that thread or on other new ones, but there were enough replies that it seems possible to have multiple takes & tunes going on at once. One suggestion was to get a couple of wives & girlfriends involved and possibly cover "Stormy Monday", a song that I already have on a multi-track recording. That way, the old recording can be used as guide tracks to build the new one from. Raw multi-track files can be uploaded to a common storage site so that X (or VinylDavid, or kevzep, or whoever's interested) can take a pass at mixing them.

This is bound to expand along the way, but a few that expressed interest so far were:

Ray W = drums
Jon L = guitar
Jon L's girlfriend = vocals
Bob Hicks = bass
Mrs. Hicks = vocals & harp
kevzep = guitar

Here's a shortcut to the guide tune:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727556/StormyMonday100318fL3.mp3

So, here's a couple of questions to start:

Who's in/interested?

Has anybody checked that my guide track is tuned to 440 = A? We don't want another "perfect pitch" debate here, but that was recorded on two un-sync'd cassette decks, so it's absolutely possible that the speed is off from the actual performance.

Any horn players want in as well? There's sax & trombone on the guide track. I can actually get their charts if it helps, too- the trombone player wrote them out (other than solos, I figure).

Do you have a way to record yourself on to a WAV file at either 16bit/44.1kHz (typical CD quality), or 24bit/44.1kHz?

Are your wives/girlfriends really interested, or have you volunteered them for something they don't actually want to do? :D

Let's start there...I'll look into setting up a DropBox account so we can share some folders.

je
 
Register to hide this ad
My Wife Tanya and I are definately in. I will check out the drop box tonite when I am home. I don't anticipate any real problems althought it will take a little pratice time to become familiar with the song. I am assuming that we arn't trying to reproduce note for note but to use it as a base to work from.
 
OK Fred, clicked the link above and found a simple mp3 file. No hurry but let me know when you get the full 8 tracks up so I can bring them into Audition and check it out fully.
The mp3 sounds great so I only hope we all can do as good as they did.
 
OK Fred, clicked the link above and found a simple mp3 file. No hurry but let me know when you get the full 8 tracks up so I can bring them into Audition and check it out fully.
The mp3 sounds great so I only hope we all can do as good as they did.

I have that MP3 currently hosted on a friend's paid DropBox site, I can't use that permanently. I'll see if I can set up a free one for this particular purpose.

Does Audition open WAV at 24/44.1?

je
 
Audition should be able to handle the 24/44.1 WAV file, if not I have pro tools available as well on our sons laptop.
 
Audition should be able to handle the 24/44.1 WAV file, if not I have pro tools available as well on our sons laptop.

Perfect. I'll work on an off-site account, or zip up just the audio files & use the current account just for a quick transfer.

je
 
Great, if nothing else you could probably e-mail them direct to me until we get something else set up. PM me for my e-mail address if so. Maybe I'll look into setting up an FTP site, can't be that hard to do and I have too many computers here anyway.
 
Since you already have a drummer, I would like to be added to the list for the Next Track. I'm very much a blues and RnB groove player, been playing gigs for 35 years. This sounds like fun!
 
Since you already have a drummer, I would like to be added to the list for the Next Track. I'm very much a blues and RnB groove player, been playing gigs for 35 years. This sounds like fun!

Haven't yet heard back from RayW, about this tune in particular or about recording capabilities.

Are you able to record your kit on to WAV files, preferably at 24/44.1?

je
 
Haven't yet heard back from RayW, about this tune in particular or about recording capabilities.

Are you able to record your kit on to WAV files, preferably at 24/44.1?

je

I'll check the recorder at work on Monday but yes, I'm pretty sure that's possible.
 
Perfect. I'll work on an off-site account, or zip up just the audio files & use the current account just for a quick transfer.

Hi Fred, how are we progressing? If you are having problems I can likely set up an FTP server or you can just e-mail me the tracks.
 
Hi Fred, how are we progressing? If you are having problems I can likely set up an FTP server or you can just e-mail me the tracks.

Can't e-mail the tracks, way too big. I tried setting up a free DropBox site, but they apparently already have me linked with a paid-account for the project I'm working on. If somebody sets up a DropBox account (or similar), establishes a folder for this tune/project, and invites me in, that should get us started. I'll still investigate other approaches.

je
 
Back
Top Bottom