• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500 (mono) - model variation question.

Snashforce

New Member
I recently bought two Fisher Model 500 receivers. Not to be confused with the '60s stereo models, these are the brass faceplate mono receivers from 1956.

One says "Model 500" under "The Fisher", like all model 500s I've seen. But the other one says "High Fidelity Receiver" instead.

The one that says "Model 500" has serial # 30041 H
The one that says " High Fidelity Receiver" is # 10661 D

It would seem that the "High Fidelity Receiver" was manufactured earlier.

Is there any significance to this difference? Is it rare to find one like this?
Was it made before the unit was designated model 500? Could it be more valuable to a collector because of the difference?

If there are any knowledgeable folks on the forum who know about these early Fisher receivers, I'd appreciate any comments or answers.

By the way, they sound great. I'm using them together for stereo sources running the left to one and the right to the other in a dual mono configuration.

Anybody know anything about this model variation?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0994.jpg
    DSCN0994.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0996.jpg
    DSCN0996.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 126
Register to hide this ad
How about a FULL FACIAL PIC of Both. Could be a yearly variation on the Dial Face.

Larry
 
Here's the full facials as requested.
I'm new to the forum, but wanted to see if any Fisher experts were aware of this dial plate variation. It's the only one I've seen that does not say "Model 500."
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0993.jpg
    DSCN0993.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN0995.jpg
    DSCN0995.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 204
Whoa! Drool mono/stereo config.
That would be very cool to hear.

Dunno about the dial glass lettering in your case other than to say that other receivers have had similar variations. For example, we've had a documented case of a large numbered dial glass as opposed to the standard numbered dial glass shown on the Fisher forum.
This is a new one on me though. I've seen two 500s. Now I'll have to be looking more closely.
 
Whoa! Drool mono/stereo config.
That would be very cool to hear.

Dunno about the dial glass lettering in your case other than to say that other receivers have had similar variations. For example, we've had a documented case of a large numbered dial glass as opposed to the standard numbered dial glass shown on the Fisher forum.
This is a new one on me though. I've seen two 500s. Now I'll have to be looking more closely.

It sounds great. It is a little quirky because you've got two volume pots and two sets of tone controls. I carefully turn the knobs trying my best to have them at the same position on each unit.

Fisher forum? Is there a specific forum for Fisher that I should check out?

I also have a Fisher 400 (stereo receiver from '64 or '65) that I haven't set up yet.
When I was shopping around craigslist for the 400, I saw these old 500's and couldn't resist buying them also.

The 500 was their first "receiver" meaning the tuner, preamp, power amp, and tone controls were all on one chassis as opposed to separate components.

Maybe at first there was only one and they labeled it "High Fidelity Receiver."
Then later when they began to produce additional receivers they introduced the numbers and called it the "Model 500."

I'd love to figure out the specific details of this model variation.
 
Okay - I found the Fisher forum! There are tons of forums here, cool!

Maybe a moderator could move this thread to the Fisher forum?

Or should I re-post my thread there? Thanks.
 
WOW! Those are beautiful!

Congratulations on...twins! :D Albeit not identical.

Could it be the original glass on one was replaced?
Just a thought. :scratch2:

martin
 
Fisherdude should see this thread and move it for you.

If you really want to see a bunch of different dial glasses, check out the variations on the 800C.

Those mono 500s are beautiful receivers, I'd like to have one to run with a big EV or Altec someday.
 
I believe there were at least five different "series" of TA-500s. I doubt if their were changes in the faceplate or tuner dial with each new series. More likely there were minor component and circuit changes from series to series. I have one of the later models with the 5881 outputs. There was some discussion of the various schematics here when I posted about mine. Its faceplate is marked "Fisher 500". These seem to be far more common than the "High Fidelity Receiver" version. I have seen one other "High Fidelity Receiver" and it, like yours, had a serial number in the 10,000 range. I suspect that those are the earliest versions.

I'd be curious to see a photo of the underside of your "High Fidelity Receiver" chassis. Locate your volume control. Is there an unused potentiometer on that shaft? I am curious to know if Fisher included this feature on the early TA-500s. I believe this feature was included to enable the conversion of the TA-500 to stereo, which would allow you to set the volume on both channels with one control. You really don't have to have a pair of 500s for stereo - Fisher recommended the addition of a 30-C and a 30-A as part of their TK-5 modification. It was probably the same system they used in the '59 Ambassador II console.

I have never seen a TA-500 from an Ambassador but it's possible its faceplate would be different from the component version. Fisher components often had faceplates with the console model name in place of the component model number when used in a console application.
 
Last edited:
Thread moved to the Fisher Forum. I'll merge the other thread linking to this one so there's no confusion.

I'll take a look at mine later today. I'm running out the door at the moment.
 
Jon, what series (or range of serial numbers) does the TA-500 schematic you have cover? Is it different from the other ones available online?

Maybe this post would be a good place to discuss the TA-900 . . .
 
I have never seen a TA-500 from an Ambassador but it's possible its faceplate would be different from the component version. Fisher components often had faceplates with the console model name in place of the component model number when used in a console application.

Interesting.

I love the looks of the "modern" Ambassador II and III

I'll post a photo of the underside when I get a chance to take it apart.

Thanks for the responses guys. This Fisher forum is great. Looks like I came to the right place to ask questions about such a small detail.:thmbsp:

Even if I never get a definitive answer, the Fisher community now has knowledge of a little known Model 500 variation.
 
Oh, another question:

I've always known the unit as the "Model 500"

Why is it referred to as the TA-500?

What does the "TA" stand for?
 
TA= Tuner/Amplifier

That makes sense, but why do people use the "TA"?

None of my Fisher paperwork uses "TA-500" only refers to it as "Model 500"

Is is just to differentiate it from the '60s stereo models?

The 500 C for example...


The Fisher wooden cabinet model #s for these receivers do use "TA"

For example the mahogany cabinet is "Model TA-5M"
 
Back
Top Bottom