• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-1980... sold for over five grand!....

Register to hide this ad
Well, Sansui G-33000 made a record sale on eBay this month $14,000.

So I don't see why Pioneer SX-1980 cannot be sold for $5,250. It's not as rare, but still. Christmas starts early this year.

As for original condition (factory caps, no re-cap) it could be considered as an advantage to a collector (as no one pocked inside).
 
Wow! I was watching that one tonight but got distracted and forgot to see what it sold for.

Some people value "originality" a lot, I guess. I'm not sure w restored one would fetch that much. Maybe? They don't seem to be falling in value.
 
Always interests me to see that the top of the line receivers from the "monster" era are selling for such high prices, when lesser models that probably sound almost as good do not command very high prices.

I am also not sure why receivers seem to fetch prices that are higher than top of the line separate components, such as Pioneer SPEC series or Sansui Definition series.

I guess it's the "bling" factor with all the lights, meters, etc...
 
Always interests me to see that the top of the line receivers from the "monster" era are selling for such high prices, when lesser models that probably sound almost as good do not command very high prices.

I am also not sure why receivers seem to fetch prices that are higher than top of the line separate components, such as Pioneer SPEC series or Sansui Definition series.

I guess it's the "bling" factor with all the lights, meters, etc...

I'd take my Spec system over any of the big Pioneer receivers any day.
 
I'd take separates over just about any receiver too but it's interesting to watch the prices go up on all of the gear from the "golden age".
 
Always interests me to see that the top of the line receivers from the "monster" era are selling for such high prices, when lesser models that probably sound almost as good do not command very high prices.

I am also not sure why receivers seem to fetch prices that are higher than top of the line separate components, such as Pioneer SPEC series or Sansui Definition series.

I guess it's the "bling" factor with all the lights, meters, etc...

No need to guess, you are correct on all counts. TOTL receivers are fun and not geeky like separates. They are cool to look at. Turning the knobs is endless fun, especially when dialing in FM stations with a multi-path meter or by the quartz lock indicator. Turn down the lights with your sweetheart and your receiver becomes a light show of its own. Picture the lava lamp next to your receiver and it all starts to make sense for nostalgic sixty somethings. 5 grand is a small price to re-live the glory days.
 
Perhaps the sellers are shilling the bids trying to get big bucks? If they get greedy and the interested buyer drops out they need to relist.

If a buyer doesn't pay does the seller still incur a fee to ebay?
 
Hmm... I have a theory about apparently-nonsensical high selling prices for old, boxy things, but none of the items mentioned come from sellers in states with legalized marijuana. ;)

Chip
 
Are these going overseas to collectors?

Mine may have. Thought I'd overpriced it at $1700 on Craig's List, local pickup only, and an Italian IT specialist in Brussels begged me to sell it to him and pack and ship it there at his expense, which I did.
Split the payment with the guy that gave me the receiver, which he donated to a child welfare charity.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom