• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W DM2 speakers

MaDHaTteR

KEF maniac
Iv spotted a pair off locle DM2 speakers for sale. dose anyone have any info on these things as im thinking off going for them. there tatty but im hoping they might be quality speakers.
 
Register to hide this ad
hey mad!

bluebook says,

B&W SPK, DM-2 (PAIR)
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1984
MSRP: $600.00
USED: $136.00
 
MaDHaTteR,

Take a look at the attached .pdf file I copied from B&W´s site.

IMHO you can hardly go wrong with any of this vintage of B&W´s speakers.

Hope it helps.

Jorge
 
pics if you get them, please.
They look like a pair I once had.
I liked the quality of workmanship seen in their woodgrain mirror matching pairs.
I would like to hear the small bookshelf version B&W put out to battle the LS3/5... not sure of the model number. These look a bit large for a bookshelf. They say they are meant to be stand mounted. You didn't say if the stands come with them.
Nice if the price is right.
 
They dont have stands, and there preety tatty, in fact very tatty looking, covers look very stained. But im gona go for these. There on that dreeded auction site, iv set a price in my head that im willing to pay for them. would be nice if i got them havent bought speakers for ages now :D and there only 10 miles away too that gives me an advantage!
 
hifi nut, just checked that link u gave, thanks for that. they acctualy look different too that. but under these ugly looking speakers im preety sure theres a coles 4001 super tweeter, a KEF T28 tweeter and im not sure about the bass driver. i let u guys know how it goes, im not spending silly money on them thats for sure.
 
Hi MaDHaTteR,
I have a pair of the dm2's and yeah they are a nice sounding speaker.
As far as I know they have a coles super tweeter, a celestion tweeter and a B&W 8" bass driver.

I also have a pair of the smaller pair that BuckNaked was talking about, and I don't know what model they are either, but mine are not in full working order (they are on my winter refurb to do list)

Let us know how you go with yours.
Cheers!
Mark (9090)
 
hi i just got a pair of dm2 i can't find anything on them all i could find is the dm2 mk2 model does anyone have the specs on these as what the power hndling is
 
I've attached two pictures of the mk1 and mk2. Two totally different beasts.

The pic of the mk1's are my B&W's. Very heavy, hand assembled transmission line speaker. The mk2's (for fear of stepping on other peoples toes) are mass produced and relative to the mk1's don't sound (IMO) anywhere near as good as the mk1's.
 

Attachments

  • bw2 mk1.jpg
    bw2 mk1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 742
  • bw2 mk2.jpg
    bw2 mk2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 628
I've attached two pictures of the mk1 and mk2. Two totally different beasts.

Hey, your Mk2's look just like mine. And your entertainment center is the same wood as mine. And your carpet looks just like mine. And the walls in your room are just like mine. Waitasec.... ;)

FWIW, I got those speakers (yes, the picture is of my DM2 Mk2's) in a deal with a bunch of other stuff and didn't know anything about them. I like them quite a bit, however they're not my main speakers. I'd love to be able to hear the 1's but I don't get up to Nova Scotia very often.

Ray
 
There's a lot to say for these B&W Dm2 mk1's.

First there is the build and finish quality that is just
perfect. Especially the later production years.Heavy panelling, heavily damped,with plenty of internal bracing (to lay out the transmission line inside.)

This makes a it pounderous loudspeaker with virtyually no
cbinet vibration.

Then there's the units used,B&W inhouse produced bass driver
Clestion high frequency unit and coles supertweeter.
It is a little bit of a strange setup;this supertweeter thing, but the
result is a very beautfull mid and a very balanced deep. If
you can buy them,just do it folks...I became addicted to them.
 

Attachments

  • B&Wdm2a_ak_rszd.jpg
    B&Wdm2a_ak_rszd.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 517
Interestingly over the time I have seen quite a few different configurations of driver layout and indeed choice of drivers.
 
True enough.There are even those who say that the later
models looked better and that the earlier models sounded better.
Other choise of drivers?
 
there tatty but im hoping they might be quality speakers.

IMO it is tough to find a bad British-made speaker in the US from the late 60's on.

I am sure there were some available in their domestic market but I don't think too many got imported into this one.

Pretty much any brand would be a safe bet and I think you will be happy with them.
 
james dio i agree with you i set up the dm2 as my b channel and they sound just as good as my front duntech esquire's i'm running these trough a nad t-761 and the duntech's with a nad 2200 using the 761 as the pre.
 
Back
Top Bottom