• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

12 outdated technologies that refuse to die - discuss and how many do you use?

I use a fax machine at work about once a week. Vinyl at home a little less often than that. Otherwise, I guess I'm not too out of date.
 
Put me down for:
vinyl records (of course)
VCR (2)
VHS tapes
cassette tapes and reels
CTR TV (2)
land line phone in home & office
pay phones (I don't own a cell phone)
fax machine at work
still have but no longer use my Cannon film camera
 
Vinyl, VHS, and outdated OS.

We have a ton of kids movies and such we bought from the library sales for $.25 that we still fire up once in a while. As I type, the VCR is still blinking 12:00 after our recent power outage. On the outdated OS, I still have a Hewlett Packard LX200 that runs DOS. Also have a large Windows CE notebook (not hand held). I still use the VT100 terminal program to communicate with my WRX's aftermarket engine management computer via RS232.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4 Beta
 
I've got:
Film camera's
VHS tapes and player
CRT TV (almost never watch TV though)
Vinyl records
No land line though- too expensive and too many telemarketers.
 
My favorite outdated technology (according to my co-workers) is how I still take notes on paper with a pen. As a professional writer for 30+ years, I've never had that system crash on me (but usually have an extra pen on hand just in case). Colleagues who have used tape recorders, digital recorders and laptops have to contend with bad sound, low batteries and bad tapes.

Yeah, still have a landline at home, cassettes and a 2000 Honda CRV with a 5-speed stick. And an Olympus OM-1 SLR in the closet (ok, two of them).
 
I'll be the first to question the "durability" of digital seeing as any sort of storage failure can destroy thousands of songs in seconds.

I doubt many folks will still have their 16 GB thumb drives in 2053, but I've got records here I've had since the late 1960s and early 1970s....

As rnorton mentioned, if you have redundancy, there's a good chance I'll still have all of my music and photos in 2053. When I first got into computers, I didn't have any backup hardware. After my first major crash I got backup hardware (from ZIP 750MB drives, CD burners, external HDDs). I now have 4 ext. harddrives (120GB-3TB sizes). The only way my data would be wiped is water damage or a fire. But that would also damage your LPs and physical media, so that's a moot point.

I still have my Sony "Smartfile" VHS player. I haven't used it in a long time, but I still have it because it tried new technology near the death of VHS.

I would still have my Mitsubishi (rebranded Sony) Trinitron 22" CRT computer monitor if it hadn't died. Before the advent of LCD computer monitors, CRTs had (and may still) the best black levels and contrast. The refresh rates were great too (120hz on lower rez's). Sure they were bulky and heavy, but these monitors were best for photographers, CAD, and artists.
 
sw-bench-2012.jpg

Nice looking gear there but what is that loop antenna? Also what is the cab in the middle picture?
 
Oh man, the amount I interact with daily...

I have a decent collection of records, I like them, they are fun.

We have on landline at home. almost not cell reception here, and a wired phone usually works when the power is out (and we still have DSL).

Fax machine at work (yep!).

And even more fun, my work computer runs windows 95! On a 133mhz Pentium with 48mb of ram. A couple of the machines actually have 98 on them even!
 
Me too. I see no sense in chucking a vintage Rolleiflex or top of the line Canon just because techno whiz would rather shoot a gazillion photos when I can get by with 24 well placed pics.

To be fair....no one is asking you to pitch the Rolleiflex, M7, Pentax 645, or Hasselblad for a DSLR Nikanon, NEX, or m4/3's camera. Like many here, you can have vintage and new tech and live in harmony. You don't have to make it one extreme or the other.

There is no doubt my Canon A-1 takes better photos than my Canon Rebel XT and 7D. It's a full frame and film has better dynamics than digital (plus the giant viewfinder is so much easier to compose with). But it takes a while to get all 24 shots done and get them exposed. With the DSLRs, I can get the photos to the computer and edit them a lot faster.


Canon A-1, Rebel XT, 7D with Canon 50mm 1.4's and the 7D using the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and all with motordrives/vertical grips
5461908080_1bf7cd2ffe_b.jpg



I don't shoot 5000+ photos just because I can/ability. Those are the ones that have to catalog every food they ate at every restaurant they go. I don't care that you snapped a shot of your $6 latte with expresso shot.
 
Last edited:
@ Heezdeadjim- I do have a digital camera and find it quite convenient and I'm not anti-technology- I'm just not writing off the old stuff completely. I probably came off as a snob in my post. Some of the new tech is amazing indeed but I find the obsession and level of absorption in the technology a bit disheartening sometimes. BTW I have an A-1 also and I really like it.
 
@ Heezdeadjim- I do have a digital camera and find it quite convenient and I'm not anti-technology- I'm just not writing off the old stuff completely. I probably came off as a snob in my post.

I didn't read it as that. Both have its merits and flaws. Same with listening to a dedicated stereo room vs. full blown 7.1 HT in the main room. You can appreciate both depending on applications. One isn't necessarily better than the other.

Is anyone still using old flashlights (like with bulbs?). I used to love my 4 D-cell Mag-lite, but with the advent of powerful LED "flashlights", I've retired my Mag-lite. There's been too many times I forgot to shut it off and it was dead the next morning, or I dropped it and the bulb shattered. D cells aren't cheap, and these new 300+ lumen CREE LEDs are a godsend for me. I have tiny ones that I can fit in my mouth to work inside computers and big handheld ones for working out in the night.
 
almost everything mentioned so far. also slides two projectors. mini disc, dictaphone, wouldnt know what to do with it or if it works with scrolls no real reason to keep it. up in the garage rafters havent looked at it for years. old stenograph machine not sure if these are still in use in the same form. working smith corona typewriter. warped wooden jack kramer tennis racquet to slam balls against the garage.vincet price 3d camera never used.
 
I still buy records occasionally and very often old (pre 1984), pre-recorded video cassettes/films from that list (VHS mostly,but sometimes Beta).
A lot of video cassettes are highly collectable over here,therefore can fetch big money on Ebay,just like a rare record or even a rare Nintendo NES game cart would amongst collectors.
Personally,I couldn't bear to have my fave films or music collection etc stored on a computer.There just wouldn't be any real sense of collectivity or achievement for me,also as previously mentioned all could be gone in a matter of seconds.
I like the actual feel of owning a record,CD,film/collectable,so old technologies will be with me for ages to come.
 
Still use:

VHS - Large collection of tapes and an upsampling Panasonic BluRay/VHS. Best VHS movies look better than worst DVDs.

CRT TV - Still have 4 in use. When they die, they will be replaced with whatever is the latest.

Fax Machine - At work. Still have companies that we work with that use them. Did get rid of the dedicated line for it a few years ago.

Vinyl Records - No explanation required.
 
Film- Have a cherry Canon AE-1 Program that I love, you have to think to use film therefore I find the results better
Vinyl and Cassettes- CD's are for the car, MP3's meh
 
Back
Top Bottom