jayvis
Addicted Member
That's cheating.And, , , it's missing the engine........
That's cheating.And, , , it's missing the engine........
Genius.Bought it when my daughters excuse for not cutting the grass was that they couldn't get the mower started.
Your stuff is online. How do you think your bank services your accounts? It's not all at the local bldg on a closed system![]()
I have two 500 meg thumb drives not seeing much use now. I have several 1 gig thumbs in use all the time for temporary storage. I have 8 and 16 gigs on up in use."Even though digital downloads and CDs are easier to use, more durable and hold a lot more music in a smaller space, some audiophiles just prefer the sound of vinyl."
I'll be the first to question the "durability" of digital seeing as any sort of storage failure can destroy thousands of songs in seconds.
I doubt many folks will still have their 16 GB thumb drives in 2053, but I've got records here I've had since the late 1960s and early 1970s....
My Panasonic plasma tv from 2007 still works great ! My parents have a Panasonic 50” 720 from 2001 still working great ! A buddy of mine said if you buy a plasma you’ll be sorry ! He’s has had 3 tvs since lol !http://www.livescience.com/37004-12-outdated-technologies-refuse-to-die.html
An interesting article with what appears to be some decent numbers put to these technologies' use in the past few years. Particularly interesting is the number of LP sales and cassette (and VHS) sales too.
Which of these do you still use, and why, or when are you going to change?
I have one of these. Our last house had a smallish front yard. The reel mower did an excellent job cutting the St Augustine grass.
Is the "Beatle Bass" in the background a Hofner-made specimen?Old technology-I’ve got a late 1920s Garrard portable wind up. I take it to work at Christmas and have a 1930s disco with a cup of tea, playing my grandparents old jazz records. The last 78 rpm they purchased seems to be Mr Sandman, unfortunately it has got a crack from the centre to the outside and has a click, click, click noise all the time.
My work colleagues are impressed how loud it is and most of them have never seen one working.
I have two 500 meg thumb drives not seeing much use now. I have several 1 gig thumbs in use all the time for temporary storage. I have 8 and 16 gigs on up in use.
Actually, I have thumbs up to 500Gs for various topics. Different thumbs are good for keeping files segregated from everything else.
There's nothing like steel wheels. The last two mowers I owned had plastic wheels. Those wheels eventually disintegrated after a few years, requiring replacement.Yes, but today's Reel mowers come with plastic wheels, not steel wheel
It maybe one of those, "ya get what you pay for things". The Fiskar I posted above has plastic wheels, it's at least 18 yrs old and was used all the time up until 2 yrs ago.There's nothing like steel wheels. The last two mowers I owned had plastic wheels. Those wheels eventually disintegrated after a few years, requiring replacement.
me too.I've had a lifelong affinity for good ol fashioned "Analog" meters, the bigger the better.....
View attachment 3180866


Are you speaking of USB thumb drives? Have you ever had one fail? I ask as I’ve had two massive failures on SATA drives, one a 320G, the other a 4T, that lost a lot of music. Those failures, which may have been due to drops, have me leery of the long term viability of digital media and access. IDE drives are long gone and it appears SATA is being replaced by a newer NVMe format, so I’m not sure what technologies will be the default in 20+ years.
I have two NAS units here with 17T and 8T of storage, but I purchased them used and need to get a workaround to access the proprietary softwares. I guess if push comes to shove, I may just sell off some of the drives to fund a new purchase, and just update the storage as new tech is introduced.
I still have every thumb drive that I`ve ever purchased (currently 20), going back almost 2 decades, and along with the 11 SSDs, both of different brands and capacities, I`ve yet to experience any failures or loss of stored information on them.I recently had a 128g USB thumb drive fail. Just isn't even recognized by the computer anymore.
But, as GChief said- that's why you have backups. Especially when it costs less than 20 bucks. Two thumbdrives are probably orders of magnitude less likely to BOTH fail at the same time, as one is on its own.
Regards,
Gordon.
Well, I haven't mowed a lawn since the 90's. The mowers I used were Sears Craftsman, manufactured by Electrolux/Husqvarna/AYP. I thought they were great mowers, except for the wheels.It maybe one of those, "ya get what you pay for things". The Fiskar I posted above has plastic wheels, it's at least 18 yrs old and was used all the time up until 2 yrs ago.
I think it's about twice the $ as the current Scott etc offerings. I looked at all those and the Fiskar was just noticeably better made.
Yes, the USB thumb drives. An 8G one has become unreliable sometimes, and I think it is a plug (mechanical) problem. Put into another computer or USB port and it would work. The USB contacts on the drive or the PC can wear out from use. I hate the thought of doing open heart surgery on a PC to replace a USB plug. I have USB hard drives also which seldom get used. Unlike the easy to carry around flash drives, those take too much power ($), bulky, and have to run with a power cord.Are you speaking of USB thumb drives? Have you ever had one fail? I ask as I’ve had two massive failures on SATA drives, one a 320G, the other a 4T, that lost a lot of music. Those failures, which may have been due to drops, have me leery of the long term viability of digital media and access. IDE drives are long gone and it appears SATA is being replaced by a newer NVMe format, so I’m not sure what technologies will be the default in 20+ years.
I have two NAS units here with 17T and 8T of storage, but I purchased them used and need to get a workaround to access the proprietary softwares. I guess if push comes to shove, I may just sell off some of the drives to fund a new purchase, and just update the storage as new tech is introduced.
They are notYour wheels just might be plastic coated metal wheels.
I was rather surprised that it died. I've even accidentally run flash driver through the laundry- and as long as they're thoroughly dried out before using (which was definitely the case with the last one I found in the laundry, since I found it in the DRYER), they've all seemed to work just fine afterward. They're pretty rugged- but I have had two that have bitten the bullet over the years, and one more that I suspect is getting flaky (my car stereo will hang up once in a while trying to read it, but if you remove and reinstall it, it will start reading again). Given how many I've used, that's still a pretty small proportion.I still have every thumb drive that I`ve ever purchased (currently 20), going back almost 2 decades, and along with the 11 SSDs, both of different brands and capacities, I`ve yet to experience any failures or loss of stored information on them.
Though some of the early purchased flash drives are rarely used, I sometimes have to go through them looking for some file, or software program that I stored on one or more of them many yrs. ago.
They never fail to be accessible to any computer that I plug them into.
I`ve never regretted to completely switching over to SSD for all 10 of my computers, starting well over 10 yrs. ago.
3 laptops operate 24/7/365, one (my A/V rack`s music) since 2009, and has only been totally shut down for the short period of time to upgrade to a higher capacity SSD, due to the additions of new WAV. ripped music, being it is my #2 redundant music player source.
I guess I`ve been Damn lucky !