• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

12AX7/ECC83 Recommendations?

Tube Depot offers an option for high gain matching. Does it mean that the rest they sell are just not as strong?
 
For mid-priced tubes, I like US NOS brands like RCA, Sylvania, GE, etc. (nobody has mentioned GE -- is there something I missed?)

I know people rave about the Sovtek LPS tubes, but I have some concerns about other Sovtek 12AX7s I've used.

A long time ago (15-20 years) I had gear with Sovtek tubes (more than one piece, IIRC) and the emissivity dropped off significantly after a year or two of operation. My guess is that their cathodes became poisoned, but I don't have any confirmation or data. Maybe Sovtek or New Sensor addressed this problem since . . . I'd be interested if others pull and check Sovteks that have been in service for a a while and see if they get comparable results.

I bought a few of the LPS variety from Jim and wanted to use them in the phono stage of a Scott receiver, with some other brand in the tone and line stages. Bad idea, as the filaments were quite different from the other tubes and the voltages across each tube (in the DC serial string supply) were way out of spec.
 
I bought a few of the LPS variety from Jim and wanted to use them in the phono stage of a Scott receiver, with some other brand in the tone and line stages. Bad idea, as the filaments were quite different from the other tubes and the voltages across each tube (in the DC serial string supply) were way out of spec.
So they draw different current than other 12AX7? Higher or lower?That’s terrible. I have to re-check in my Fisher 400. They are on the same string I believe with Matsushita tubes in the preamp.
 
So they draw different current than other 12AX7? Higher or lower?That’s terrible. I have to re-check in my Fisher 400. They are on the same string I believe with Matsushita tubes in the preamp.

Sorry, I don't recall whether they were higher or lower, but I wasn't expecting so significant a difference.
 
I strongly agree. When tubing my phono stage these were the tubes that did it for me. IMO they easily keep up with vintage products and fly under the radar.
Got to agree on JJ's. I have had excellent results with their ECC83S/12AX7-S. This tube resembles the 6DJ8's construction (frame grid style?). They last a long time and my experience is that they don't become microphonic like many other newly manufactured 12AX7A's. And, they are relatively cheap at around $12.95 from many suppliers (Like AES in AZ). I haven't tried the JJ E88CC which looks similar at double the price.
 
Got to agree on JJ's. I have had excellent results with their ECC83S/12AX7-S. This tube resembles the 6DJ8's construction (frame grid style?). They last a long time and my experience is that they don't become microphonic like many other newly manufactured 12AX7A's. And, they are relatively cheap at around $12.95 from many suppliers (Like AES in AZ). I haven't tried the JJ E88CC which looks similar at double the price.
JJ ECC83S has a conventional grid in a "box plate". E83CC has a frame grid in a similar plate.
By the frame grid the tubes seem to have less spread in parameters, i guess there is no
need for "matching" or what vendors might call it.
 
The JJ 12AX7's have worked well in everything I've had that used 12AX7's. So far no problems with failures, noise or micfophonics. And they sound decent also.
 
The JJ ECC83S is an excellent tube. Very quiet and has extremely low hum in AC heater applications. This is a great tube where low-microphonics are essential. They do well in musical instrument amps, especially combos, and can endure the abuse long term.

The JJ ECC803S has become my go-to long plate 12AX7 choice. Again, a very quiet and low-noise tube, also with low microphonics. They can't survive in high vibration environments though, due to the large plate structure, and will soon turn into baby rattles in a combo amp.

In my experience, regular off the shelf JJ stock has yielded a majority of tubes with very closely matched sections. This clearly shows quality and consistency in the manufacturing processes.

The Sovtek 12AX7LPS has become a bit of a disappointment. I liked them when they first came out, and used them for quite a while, but the thrill is gone. In service failures have become an issue, and receiving outright duds is all too common. In addition, the (usually) wildly mis-matched sections are laughable.
 
After noticing some noise from my EAR clone phono stage and/or PAS used as a line stage, I began rolling tubes. I’ve got a pretty good selection of vintage tubes: everything but Mullards.
What tubes are in now? Sovtek 12ax7LPS. They are very quiet and I’m happy with the way things sound. Will see how they hold up.
 
During the weekend , I was checking some of my tubes, and found three forgotten sovtek 7025/12ax7wa .
I have tested them in my phono preamp and have to say they are not bad at all.If available somewhere now, they are reasonably priced too.
 
Last edited:
Reopening a Zombie Thread for a bit of newer info than 2022:

I recently bought a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp that came with mystery ECC83/12AX7 tubes, I could not tell what they were as they were covered by some EAT aluminum finned "coolers" that actually don't do much cooling (if any) they do more to help dampen the tube to prevent microphonics. Convention wisdom is that Pro-Ject used either modern Tong-Sol or JJ tubes, but when I finally got the cooler off one of the tubes it turned out to be a Psvane ECC83. It was not bad at all, but the sound stage was a bit 2 dimensional, confined to behind the front of the speakers. Several reviews of this tube said it was a bit microphonic, maybe that is the reason for the cooler/dampers ???

I rolled in a set of GE-JAN's( 5751 not the 7025) to see what difference there was but they got very bright/brittle after 3-4 hours, so back in with the Psvane (the 5751s will be spares for my guitar amp). I did a lot of internet sleuthing and determined that a set of JJ E83CC frame grid tubes might be worth a try.

Yowza! These JJ E83CC tubes have strong tight bass (SLAM?) excellent mid range where the voices are crystal clear, and sweet but not rolled off highs. Best part is that the sound stage is now wide, deep, and high and 3D- It now sounds like performers are in the center of my room.
109_3676.JPGPsvane 12AX7- ECC83.jpgPsvane ECC83 original tube in DS2  001.jpgE83CC  001.jpgE83CC 002.jpg109_3700.jpg
 
Last edited:
Reopening a Zombie Thread for a bit of newer info than 2022:

I recently bought a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp that came with mystery ECC83/12AX7 tubes, I could not tell what they were as they were covered by some EAT aluminum finned "coolers" that actually don't do much cooling (if any) they do more to help dampen the tube to prevent microphonics. Convention wisdom is that Pro-Ject used either modern Tong-Sol or JJ tubes, but when I finally got the cooler off one of the tubes it turned out to be a Psvane ECC83. It was not bad at all, but the sound stage was a bit 2 dimensional, confined to behind the front of the speakers. Several reviews of this tube said it was a bit microphonic, maybe that is the reason for the cooler/dampers ???

I rolled in a set of GE-JAN 7025's to see what difference there was but they got very bright/brittle after 3-4 hours, so back in with the Psvane (the 7025 will be spares for my guitar amp). I did a lot of internet sleuthing and determined that a set of JJ E83CC frame grid tubes might be worth a try.

Yowza! These JJ E83CC tubes have strong tight bass (SLAM?) excellent mid range where the voices are crystal clear, and sweet but not rolled off highs. Best part is that the sound stage is now wide, deep, and high and 3D- It now sounds like performers are in the center of my room.
View attachment 3270271View attachment 3270272View attachment 3270274View attachment 3270275View attachment 3270276View attachment 3270277
Wait! These were GE 7025? Not 5751?
 
Back
Top Bottom