• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

15" subwoofer driver replacement recommendations, open baffle/free air

This may very well be the best bang for the buck.

Read the reviews...

  • Total Q (Qts)1.86

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-215-4-15-oem-woofer-4-ohm--290-340

Ordered a pair of these yesterday, they even had 2 on mark-down as open box for $7 each cheaper.
I was looking at the small magnets thinking they might not be beefy enough. As I read more on the Thiele-Small parameters I realized that, in an open baffle setup, there is no need to overcome the sealed cabinet air compression (acoustic load), so a smaller lower mass 'motor' would not need as big a voice coil or magnet, could be lighter and therefor have a much higher Qts. The ones I bought had the highest Qts of any I found.
Thanks to all for the input and eye opening experience!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom