• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1963 FISHER DIPLOMAT D38...I want one but...

ODYOFAEL

The Voice of Vintage HiFi
1964 Fisher AMBASSADOR or '63 DIPLOMAT...Zenith...Magnavox...

Will it be an Ambassador or the Diplomat. They are both gorgeousl. Or a Zenith...Magnavox?
Is there something wrong with me?:scratch2:
Fisher Diplomat Console (1963)
(Model D-38)



...or
 

Attachments

  • 1962 diplomat d38.jpg
    1962 diplomat d38.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have a 290T chassis out of a Philharmonic, and I own a Garrard AT6. I don't have the rest of the bits, but I can tell you a bit about the components.

The 290T is a pretty decent receiver. Its FM stereo, and the tuner works very well. The troubles with it are the output tubes and the lack of a magnetic phono stage. The output tubes are ELL80 tubes, which sound good but are quite pricey to replace if they wear out. The last used set I picked up ran me 50 bucks, and that was a reasonable price. They're also not a powerhouse, good for about 12 watts per channel. The lack of a mag phono stage means you'll either be adding one in if you want to upgrade the AT6, or dealing with a ceramic cartridge. The AT6 itself isn't bad, but its not that special either. I have one and stuck it in a console to upgrade from an even worse machine. Its an easy refurb, but mine did need a $30 idler wheel. An AT60 or an SL65 would be a slight upgrade but would retain the same chassis and overall look.


My very honest suggestion would be to aim a little higher in the Fisher chain if you can. Even if its not something with an 800 reciever, something with a mag phono stage and tubes that aren't an arm and a leg would be a good thing. If you're really set on one of these, maybe consider not selling off your other gear to get it. It would most likely be a sonic downgrade from what you have now.
 
There are the hybrids too, making over 100 watts per. The executive was my favorite. If you do go no magnetic, you can buy a phono amp pretty cheap,
 
I love consoles, but stock, well, they're usually too compromised.

I like the Barzilay or Acousti-craft approach; separate speaker cabs, stuff with your choice of gear. Mid century look, but a much better sound

Finding/making gear that fits can be an adventure, tho
 
Thanks for your quick response on this. I dont really have a problem with the phono stage as I have an exixting FORTE FP1 in use. I was planning on using my SOTA on the side whan I want to play my good records (assuming it has an AUX in). The chager will be for 45s and older soso condition records.

If it has a PRE OUT, I can probably use my Jolida as the main amp, too. =)

The thing about it is the Fisher Consoles are hard to find.:no:

Was also looking a a Zenith
 
Last edited:
it has a tape out, not a pre-out. There are aux inputs, though exactly how that works in stock form I don't know. Mine had 2 pairs of wires coming off the switch that were cut off. One pair was tape out, the other was an input. I forget what position those are wire to though. Eventually if I ever get around to making it more useful in stand-alone form, I'll put those jacks on the back someplace so I can use them.
 
That particular Fisher has a flea-watt amp (one 6UH8 per channel) so you aren't going to play very loud. If that's not a problem, more power to you. However, if you need more wattage, might I suggest a Custom Electra VI (14WPC - PP EL84) or Futura IV (30WPC - PP 7591).

-D
 
Moved to the Fisher Forum, where you'll find most of the console experts.

Good luck in your search! :yes:
 
I can't add anything. Gadget has it pretty well covered. The Custom Electra is the minimum level I'd get for sonics and useability. 61 to 64 Custom Electra pretty much used the same amp (with minor variations). EL-84 PP. Separate Tuners, and Magnetic Phono. None of the FISHERS have "PREOUT-MAIN IN" Jacks. The Reverb out-in jacks are solely for the Space Expander Reverb unit.

Larry
 
Unless you've already got a direct line on one, you're pretty much painting yourself into a corner focusing on one particular model from one particular year.

Two thoughts: Move up the food chain. The Diplomat is the next-to-lowest model in the line, so you can certainly do better sound & feature-wise.

Expand your target years. Anything from '61 through '64 in the Modern (and sometimes other styles) cabinetry is going to give you great tube sound and snazzy style.

I've got a '64 Executive, but had I set out saying "I want a '64 Executive, and nothing but" I probably wouldn't have anything...
 
In that case, the DIPLOMAT is out. I know a local guy who has an ELECTRA but not sure which model. But he wants $600. It is a working unit though. What do you guys think?
 
It's a bit high for me (by $400) but being you're in Southern Calif., it's probably cheap at that. At that price, physically inspect the INSIDE of the chassis for new caps, resistors, Original tubes. And the cabinet should be damned near perfect.

Find out what year, which style, and condition (with pics if possible....No I'm not interested so you don't have competition from me.)
 
All of the other respondents have offered well-meaning and logical advice. If you've got your sights set on a '63 Diplomat, however, that may not be what you were hoping to hear. The odds are certainly long but don't let that discourage you. There are still plenty of Fisher consoles out there - probably more than most folks realize. If you're patient and persistent, you might get lucky someday. I did:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=351050

And, no, there's nothing wrong with you . . . that is until you find yourself trying to justify your second one . . . or third - then you're in trouble.

Why a D38? If you don't mind my asking . . .
 
Why a D38? If you don't mind my asking . . .
my first plan was a Packard bell RPC26s. I already own a 10RP3 model.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=577796

...Because I thought it was close, then I found out it was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

And that's the only model I can find.

And then I found a Model A69. again for $600 and 2.5 hour drive. The closest one is the E46, guy wants 550 and 20 miles away.:D
 
Last edited:
Gadget;

Distance wise ODYOFAEL's 2.5hr drive is probably less in So.Cal than your 1/2 hr. Dr. in So. Jersey.

Larry
 
Here are actual photos of the ELECTRA. The guy just texted me that it no longer has the original FISHER tubes. I took the photos my self. Also tested the tuner. FM gets the channels well, AM, not so. Turntable is steady, but needs some cleaning and lube.
The appearance? I think its in decent shape. Some portions of the veneer kinda lifted up but can be glued. What do you guys think?









 
Back
Top Bottom