• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1979 Sansui Au-717 / TU-717

Great amp and tuner. ' War horses. '

The AU-717 sounds like a live concert and the TU-717 is audiophile all the way.

My AU-717 is long gone but I still have my TU-717 but never use it anymore. Works perfect, should put some juice to it. I really like them both! Great combo!!
 
Great amp and tuner. ' War horses. '

The AU-717 sounds like a live concert and the TU-717 is audiophile all the way.

My AU-717 is long gone but I still have my TU-717 but never use it anymore. Works perfect, should put some juice to it. I really like them both! Great combo!!

Nice, Bluesky. I can’t even see straight. I’m dying for Monday to get here to listen to my gear on the AR9s.

I just picked up a great cabinet big enough to hold the two on top. I’m going to add legs to it this weekend to get it closer to eye level and stain the legs. Thinking 4x6 posts stained to sort of match. Here’s the piece. It’s newer but has shades of classic mid-century detail that matches my decor. $25.
 

Attachments

  • 87109290-1E85-4259-A112-651C9ECBF22E.png
    87109290-1E85-4259-A112-651C9ECBF22E.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 45
I saw the glue thing in a google search and feel good that the seller removed this and found no components out of whack during the tuneup. Nonetheless thx for the link. I’ll be looking for this with fingers crossed.
When you get it, pop the top on the AU-717 and post a pic. It's easy to see if the glue issue has been addressed.
 
Hi all. Would it be worthwhile to get a Sansui SE-5 equalizer for my music listening pleasure to accompany the AU-717 and TU-717? It’s the same vintage. Or do these EQs require extensive repairs and may not provide much value to the sound? Remember I’ve got Teledyne Acoustic Research AR9 speakers. What would you do?

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/se-5.shtml

If you want an equalizer, hold out for an SE-7.
 
Ahh, ok. Thank you. Are repairs for an SE-7 pretty expensive like an amp or are these pretty robust? …trying to factor that cost into my decision.
I bought my SE-7 new in 1980 with my AU-719 and TU-717. The SE-7 is still working flawlessly - no repairs needed so far.
 
I can't see the point of using an EQ unless you listen to older or poor recordings a lot. If you don't but what you are hearing isn't to your liking then spend the money on better speakers. :)
The AU-717 is unlikely to disappoint, but if the sound is not quite to your liking it has tone controls and a loudness switch.
 
Last edited:
If you want an equalizer, hold out for an SE-7.

This is good advice as the SE-7 is not only a "full height" unit close to the AU/TU-717 it also has much more range for adjustment (each chanal).
Also the SE-5 to my knowledge only comes with the later "white" screened Sansui logo and not the embossed black one as seen on the AU/TU-717 and the SE-7.

I bought my SE-7 new in 1980 with my AU-719 and TU-717. The SE-7 is still working flawlessly - no repairs needed so far.

Yep, as I have both SE-5 and SE-7 I can tell you they are build like a (emtpty) tank, use very few components and (apart from the on/off light on the SE-7) there is not much that can go wrong.

I can't see the point of using an EQ unless you listen to older or poor recordings a lot. If you don't but what you are hearing isn't to your liking then spend the money on better speakers. :)
The AU-717 is unlikely to disappoint, but if the sound is not quite to your liking it has tone controls and a loudness switch.

This is probably the best advise as with an AU-717 you already have good tone controls at hand (if needed at all).
FYI my SE-5/7's never see any use for tone control (I did fiddle with them, but never seem to find the right spot that actually added to my sound experience, just the stress coming with the extensive choices available :crazy:), but they do make a stack of black faced Sansui's look extra cool. That alone can be a good reason to aquire one ;)

Have fun
-John-
 
Last edited:
I got my SE-7 out of storage for fun, and hooked it up. Still works and sounds great. Very quiet. I found I didn't really need the extra eq for now. I would probably use it with my AU-919 since it doesn't have a loudness button, which I often enjoy using. Enjoy your new Suis!
 
Wow! My new gear is awesome. I’ve learned over the years when buying vintage furniture, Philco radios, pianos, and stereos that you must find the best looking piece. Repairs can almost always be done to the guts of these old things, but you can’t put lipstick on a pig. This pair looks immaculate. The faceplates and chassis covers are beautiful. I’m very elated with this purchase. Excellent seller.

That said, I knew going in that neither piece here was fully restored and I’m ok with that. There’s a fella locally to me who restores Sansui gear and I’ve got the eBay fella noted above as good options that I will pursue at some point. The gear sounds amazing in all sections and all controls seem to work well. I don’t see the amount of glue expressed all over the PCBs that I’ve seen on the web which seems like a positive. I realize and respect that this is still a problem that I must remedy sooner than later. The tuner’s guts are very clean as expected and the dial cord is just perfect and smooth.

Here’s some photos. I don’t have any taken from the fronts yet. We will see what uploads here. I think I’m limited to ten. Any advice or critical feedback much obliged.

Also interesting, I found the amp’s serial num in the file available in this sub-forum but not the tuner. No matter. I found both to be of an Oct 1978 vintage so likely were sold as 1979 units. These two have been paired for a long time so likely the original match since they have quite close serial numbers. Does it matter? No. But neat, nonetheless. ;)
 

Attachments

  • E1CA354C-27CE-4386-8709-D82AE2A1305D.jpeg
    E1CA354C-27CE-4386-8709-D82AE2A1305D.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 25E8B0AE-A373-44CC-A584-E10558914949.jpeg
    25E8B0AE-A373-44CC-A584-E10558914949.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 9455E221-4E3C-4894-A758-B14A9F161D8E.jpeg
    9455E221-4E3C-4894-A758-B14A9F161D8E.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2E53BD48-B943-4CE6-A0E5-19892C04F7FA.jpeg
    2E53BD48-B943-4CE6-A0E5-19892C04F7FA.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 72
  • C43164A0-3F7E-4216-8B1F-E20C30158E87.jpeg
    C43164A0-3F7E-4216-8B1F-E20C30158E87.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 32585BAB-373D-4F1F-8402-2DA121138888.jpeg
    32585BAB-373D-4F1F-8402-2DA121138888.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 72
  • F8239DAE-BA6E-4196-94E8-D4F33F9A76AE.jpeg
    F8239DAE-BA6E-4196-94E8-D4F33F9A76AE.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2CFCCAB7-3611-4CF5-B0C5-69C977F57EA8.jpeg
    2CFCCAB7-3611-4CF5-B0C5-69C977F57EA8.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 0C194B42-EEA3-4ADE-9CB6-01793464EE66.jpeg
    0C194B42-EEA3-4ADE-9CB6-01793464EE66.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DC6A17E0-F08B-4BAB-A75F-A40E0E1D7A7A.jpeg
    DC6A17E0-F08B-4BAB-A75F-A40E0E1D7A7A.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 71
Wow! My new gear is awesome. I’ve learned over the years when buying vintage furniture, Philco radios, pianos, and stereos that you must find the best looking piece. Repairs can almost always be done to the guts of these old things, but you can’t put lipstick on a pig. This pair looks immaculate. The faceplates and chassis covers are beautiful. I’m very elated with this purchase. Excellent seller.

That said, I knew going in that neither piece here was fully restored and I’m ok with that. There’s a fella locally to me who restores Sansui gear and I’ve got the eBay fella noted above as good options that I will pursue at some point. The gear sounds amazing in all sections and all controls seem to work well. I don’t see the amount of glue expressed all over the PCBs that I’ve seen on the web which seems like a positive. I realize and respect that this is still a problem that I must remedy sooner than later. The tuner’s guts are very clean as expected and the dial cord is just perfect and smooth.

Here’s some photos. I don’t have any taken from the fronts yet. We will see what uploads here. I think I’m limited to ten. Any advice or critical feedback much obliged.

Also interesting, I found the amp’s serial num in the file available in this sub-forum but not the tuner. No matter. I found both to be of an Oct 1978 vintage so likely were sold as 1979 units. These two have been paired for a long time so likely the original match since they have quite close serial numbers. Does it matter? No. But neat, nonetheless. ;)
It doesn't look like anything in the amp has been changed out. From what I can tell it's bone stock. I wouldn't sweat it; while the glue does tend to corrode the leads of anything it touches, I think it would take many more years to completely eat through. Of greater concern are the fusible resistors on the EQ board, which drift up in value drastically. And there are some small signal transistors that get noisy on the EQ board as well. I've heard them get so bad they'd throw the amp into protection.

If everything is working fine I'd just enjoy it as is for awhile. You can have them rebuilt at a later date if desired. BTW, where are you located?
 
Hi Ray. Thanks for the review of the guts. Would I notice drastic changes moving the bass and treble controls just one notch at a time or experience extreme low bass and highs with one notch adjustments of these same controls? I don’t feel any of that which hopefully is good. In fact the tone switches function with noticeable change on older albums. The loudness switch is crisp and the volume pure when moving it. The tuner sounds super. I need to find a compatible fm antenna if you have advice. Those I have yield a 75 ohm connector but this amp wants a bare wire. I’ll consider my current state ‘lucky’ for now on my new gear ;)

I’m in University Place, WA, a suburb of Tacoma. An individual, estore-us, offers a restoration on this Sansui equipment for $600 and he resides down in Olympia near me. His link is below. I could at least deal with him locally assuming he knows his stuff. Still, I appreciate the kudos presented here in this thread for the work that cherish44, eBay repair gentleman, offers. Don’t know his pricing off hand since his listing shows $50 and sort of a call-me-discuss-service-depth approach which i can understand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-AU-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Some more pics of the faceplates and new cabinet I retrofitted with new legs along with my AR9s are below. I’m still reorganizing my game room and need to hide cables and such. It really sets me back into childhood in 1978 when the old man brought this same gear home. While the Sansui pieces are not the exact serial numbers, these AR9s are. Brings a tear to my old eyes.

Grateful,
-Paul
 

Attachments

  • C590936D-A440-4F8B-A7D5-F77FE2BF6E04.jpeg
    C590936D-A440-4F8B-A7D5-F77FE2BF6E04.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 04CC2F9A-1532-4317-A25C-990B51B2A453.jpeg
    04CC2F9A-1532-4317-A25C-990B51B2A453.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 4F181479-01F6-414F-B1DE-56BD1836766E.jpeg
    4F181479-01F6-414F-B1DE-56BD1836766E.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 40
  • C070DEC9-3593-405B-9325-33C8FBA5CB15.jpeg
    C070DEC9-3593-405B-9325-33C8FBA5CB15.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 39
  • B129A4E6-2BDD-492A-BBD3-9E6C9092B988.jpeg
    B129A4E6-2BDD-492A-BBD3-9E6C9092B988.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 72EDD57F-FB4B-4525-8504-E0AAE71CB3A9.jpeg
    72EDD57F-FB4B-4525-8504-E0AAE71CB3A9.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 04EF2AF7-3986-42FF-88B8-D656836055C4.jpeg
    04EF2AF7-3986-42FF-88B8-D656836055C4.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 38
I certainly DO NOT need an EQ with this setup. Gorgeous, true sound. Just like I remember it. My Dad didn’t have an EQ and I now experience why it’s not needed with these speakers. Ridiculous sound levels will get the cops here quickly anyway.

My biggest fear is having the amp fired up with the volume knob in an asinine position due to meddling family members ;).
 
...I hope I can learn how to work on this stuff myself or at least parts of it. I’m decent with electrical and basic soldering...

Congrats on acquiring such a nice AU-717/TU-717 set! I suggest that you seriously consider restoring/upgrading yourself; it is a labor-intensive process, but ultimately a very rewarding one. Here are a couple of examples of successful AU-717 restorations by AK members with relatively little tech experience: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...auration-of-my-good-old-sansui-au-717.885893/ and https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/thank-you-leestereo.951664/#post-14617057
 
Last edited:
Hi Ray. Thanks for the review of the guts. Would I notice drastic changes moving the bass and treble controls just one notch at a time or experience extreme low bass and highs with one notch adjustments of these same controls? I don’t feel any of that which hopefully is good. In fact the tone switches function with noticeable change on older albums. The loudness switch is crisp and the volume pure when moving it. The tuner sounds super. I need to find a compatible fm antenna if you have advice. Those I have yield a 75 ohm connector but this amp wants a bare wire. I’ll consider my current state ‘lucky’ for now on my new gear ;)

I’m in University Place, WA, a suburb of Tacoma. An individual, estore-us, offers a restoration on this Sansui equipment for $600 and he resides down in Olympia near me. His link is below. I could at least deal with him locally assuming he knows his stuff. Still, I appreciate the kudos presented here in this thread for the work that cherish44, eBay repair gentleman, offers. Don’t know his pricing off hand since his listing shows $50 and sort of a call-me-discuss-service-depth approach which i can understand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sansui-AU-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Some more pics of the faceplates and new cabinet I retrofitted with new legs along with my AR9s are below. I’m still reorganizing my game room and need to hide cables and such. It really sets me back into childhood in 1978 when the old man brought this same gear home. While the Sansui pieces are not the exact serial numbers, these AR9s are. Brings a tear to my old eyes.

Grateful,
-Paul

FWIW. I’ve restored many of them. I’ve actually built one from a pile of parts after some psycho repair fool claimed it toast/parts and chopped it up. That one is thrilling someone in the UK.

$600 is about right for a complete and proper job.
 
IMO, $600USD would be cheap considering that in a complete and proper job, ~160 parts are replaced/upgraded and that the parts alone are ~$150USD from Mouser.

Correct. I haven’t needed to restock many parts lately. I did see a favorite main cap for other gear went obsolete and a replacement part for that is about double in price.

I was thinking just the known trouble makers and e-cap refresh. And, once you’ve done enough of them, you get quick at them. Only take them apart once and get all the problems done the first time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: trs
Back
Top Bottom