• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

4K AV receiver -how to connect s-vide

Peter cli

New Member
My laser disc outputs s-video . What is best way to connect to a 4k AV receiver ?
Do i need got get a SVideo to HDMI Converter ?

Thanks, Peter
 
Register to hide this ad
If you specify the make and model of the receiver and laser disc player, you will get a more useful response to your inquiry.
 
If the player has composite video (yellow connection) use it if your TV has the same input. Even if you buy an AVR with s-video input, Like my Onkyo 575x, Most will not convert them to component or hdmi outputs.

It looks like you can buy a dedicated s-video to hdmi converter, but the ones I saw are expensive. Even then, the conversion itself might degrade the signal more then the composite video output.

If you have a large collection of laser discs and wish to keep them, I would buy at least one extra working LD player. Or do what I did with my small collection of video tapes and replace the ones I valued with the DVD for $5 - $15.

The very rare LD's you can't find on dvd can be converted to dvd or blu- ray for about $25 - $30.
 
Last edited:
Use the composite video output to connect to the composite video input on your new receiver. This is what I do. Just make sure that when you purchase a new receiver it has a composite video input. Many do but many do not.
 
It should also be noted that not all AVR'S even convert composite video to hdmi. My new (2018) Yamaha A770 does I believe, But my older Onkyo doesn't. That was frustrating.

Composite to hdmi converters are cheap, so even if the tv or avr has no composite input, Its not a problem.
 
Last edited:
isn't composite video a worse option than s-video?

You are correct when you connect an s-video player to a tv with an S-video input. These TV's have been calibrated specifically for this purpose. When I compared the two, I found the colors in s-video to be much richer.

But when we convert an s-video source for proper playback through an hdmi input it may loose much of the advantage as these two formats aren't very compatable.

We probably can convert s-video to hdmi quite well with a professional grade processor, But I doubt the ones we buy on e- bay for $200 - $300 would cut it.
 
S-video is a step above composite video.

Problem is AVR/processors started dropping s-video ports maybe 10-12 years ago. Some may still have composite video ports and component ports, and typically can convert those inputs to HDMI output.

So, I think your choices in order of preference are -

Convert S-Video to...
1. HDMI
2. Component

In the case of using composite the receiver/processor probably still has those ports and should convert the signal to HDMI by its internal conversion.
 
Back
Top Bottom