• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6EM7 / 2A3 build

Any updates on your amp?

Mods or otherwise?
Really, none. It's been my main amp. The others haven't been on at all. I've tried few tubes. Very much like the JJ 40s, but have been using some Westinghouse tubes for a few weeks. I do plan to try to improve the top end by bypassing the grid stoppers, but honestly I've been super happy with it.
 
I bought a pair of Hammond 1630SEA's to try out. Despite the Hammond "stigma", these are real sleepers. Although prices on all makes and models have increased in recent years, these are still a bargain for what you get.

I installed these in one of my 6SL7GT/300B amps. Excellent performance and sound quality. 11lbs of M6 grain-oriented steel for massive bass headroom. However, the high-end is no slouch either... extended response with a smooth roll-off.

The regulated 5% THD+N vs power response sweep contains a lot of information. This sweep provides power output at 5% THD at every frequency between 20Hz~20kHz. It also provides a look at the frequency response at the 5% THD power level.

1W, 4Ω, THD+N
1630SEA 1W_4Ω_Analyzer.png

1W, 4Ω, Frequency Response (Magenta) vs THD+N (Yellow)
1630SEA Frequency Response_1W_4Ω.png

1W, 8Ω, THD+N
1630SEA 1W 8Ω_Analyzer.png

1W, 8Ω, Frequency Response (Magenta) vs THD+N (Yellow)
1630SEA Frequency Response_1W_8Ω.png

Regulated 5% THD+N (Teal) vs Power Response (Green), 8Ω
1630SEA 5% THD+N_Regulated 8Ω.png
 
Back
Top Bottom