• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

a/d/s L-710 tweeter not working

The back of your cabinets looks like 1st ADS version (can you add a pic of the grill logo? Want to see if it's aDs or ADS) but the front panel & drivers appear to be version 2. That's the smaller dome tweeter, 206-0107 (or the 206-0117 which superseded the -0107) and the woofers look more like 206-0325 than 206-0318, but that I could be wrong about. Would have to pull one to know. I think the grill mount details match gen2 also, Keith may be able to confirm (Blue Shadow).

That "71003" label is a complete mystery though. Maybe this pair was a factory sample, built during the transition from one version to the next? Model 710, sample #3? Who knows... but I have not seen that label elsewhere.

John

Contributing to the chaos... Mine are designated 710... no L... very nice walnut veneer, clothe grille, square corners, older terminals and very unusual labeling (see below), rubber surrounds (???), and no fuse, internal or otherwise.

My tweeter model is the original 206-0107 which I understand was replaced by the 206-0117 in the later L models.

I can't figure out the labeling or the serial #, and had originally thought that given all the early model features, the rubber surround woofers must have been installed at some point replacing original foam woofers, however I purchased these from the original owner and no such work had been done.

It's a mystery.

EDIT: I've added pictures of the front of my 710s, and a detail of the rubber surround woofer with the wire dots in the cone.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
 
The mid-production ADS 710s have thin edges to the grilles with velcro strips on these edges that fit into a groove on the outside of the speaker.

The ones pictured are what I would think is an early version with velcro pads that find their mate on the face of the speaker but I don't know for sure as I haven't seen earliest grille attachment methods.
 
I have the same 710s that have been for sale on Bartertown for a while and mine are the ones with foam surrounds and there are no fuses in the original version.
 
Thanks for that additional detail on the grills, Keith... leaves me holding the opinion that the set pictured is gen1 all the way, except that the tweeters at least have been replaced with newer ones. No way a gen1 came with 3/4" tweeters... they changed the grills at serial 15648 and didn't change the tweeters until serial 18160.

Meanwhile, back on topic... wonder if the OP has figured out yet why the tweeter isn't working? :scratch2:

John
 
Huh... that's the later badge, not the original with large D/small A and S.

Oh well, still something of a mystery but my conclusion is still mixed parts. Doesn't matter much though, they all sound great.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom