• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A few thoughts on public restrooms

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but hand air dryers in public restrooms we're already known before covid-19 to send viruses and bacteria into the air. So it stands to reason that your dispersing covid-19 into the air if you're infected. If there are no paper towel dispensers just air dryers I shake the water from my hands and wipe my hands on my pants. A lot of people think paper towels aren't eco-friendly but the trees to produce paper towels are for the most part grown on farms harvested and replanted. It's a much cleaner way to dry your hands. Now all public bathrooms should have automatic toilets, urinals, wash basins and paper towel dispensers. No doors on public bathrooms should have a handle on the inside that you have to pull in order to get out you shouldn't have to touch a handle to open the door after you washed your hands. To me this just seems like common sense.
 
Register to hide this ad
No doors on public bathrooms should have a handle on the inside that you have to pull in order to get out you shouldn't have to touch a handle to open the door after you washed your hands. To me this just seems like common sense.
Sometimes it could be a long wait just standing there waiting for the door to open as someone comes in. ;)
 
Getting out of the bathroom with a handle is not really the point I think I can "handle" that. It's about changing things that would be easy to do to be more sanitary. Some bathrooms can make you rethink even washing your hands at all.

49702830827_117191271d_k.jpg
 
Last edited:
No doors on public bathrooms should have a handle on the inside that you have to pull in order to get out you shouldn't have to touch a handle to open the door after you washed your hands. To me this just seems like common sense.
images


I haven't seen this mentioned yet but hand air dryers in public restrooms we're already known before covid-19 to send viruses and bacteria into the air. So it stands to reason that your dispersing covid-19 into the air if you're infected.
Sorry, no. Evaporation does not disperse anything. :rolleyes:
If there are no paper towel dispensers just air dryers I shake the water from my hands and wipe my hands on my pants.
This. Now this- splatter o_O- is exactly what disperses.
 
Sorry, no. Evaporation does not disperse anything. :rolleyes:

Studies show otherwise.

While jet air and hot air dryers were as efficient for drying as paper towels, more bacteria remained on hands afterwards than when paper towels were used. The reviewers explained that when you rub your hands together under a hot air dryer, they may dry faster, but the rubbing could send bacteria off into the air or cause other germs to migrate from hair follicles to the skin surface.

A new study from researchers at the University of Connecticut and Quinnipiac University. They suspected that hot-air hand dryers in public restrooms might be sucking up bacteria from the air, and dumping them on the newly washed hands of unsuspecting patrons.

To test this theory, scientists exposed petri dishes to bathroom air under different conditions and took them back to the microbiology laboratory to look for bacterial growth. Petri dishes exposed to bathroom air for two minutes with the hand dryers off only grew one colony of bacteria, or none at all. However, petri dishes exposed to hot air from a bathroom hand dryer for 30 seconds grew up to 254 colonies of bacteria (though most had from 18 to 60 colonies of bacteria).
 
Last edited:
Studies show otherwise.

While jet air and hot air dryers were as efficient for drying as paper towels, more bacteria remained on hands afterwards than when paper towels were used. The reviewers explained that when you rub your hands together under a hot air dryer, they may dry faster, but the rubbing could send bacteria off into the air or cause other germs to migrate from hair follicles to the skin surface.

A new study from researchers at the University of Connecticut and Quinnipiac University. They suspected that hot-air hand dryers in public restrooms might be sucking up bacteria from the air, and dumping them on the newly washed hands of unsuspecting patrons.

To test this theory, scientists exposed petri dishes to bathroom air under different conditions and took them back to the microbiology laboratory to look for bacterial growth. Petri dishes exposed to bathroom air for two minutes with the hand dryers off only grew one colony of bacteria, or none at all. However, petri dishes exposed to hot air from a bathroom hand dryer for 30 seconds grew up to 254 colonies of bacteria (though most had from 18 to 60 colonies of bacteria).
I stand corrected. After some probing around, it seems that studies/you are right.; my poor assumption was in it pushing clean air. It still goes against my sense though. I don't use them anyway- it's paper towels for me.

Good call.
 
A little off-topic but I wonder what the db level of jet dryers is?
If I was using something in my shop at that sound level, I would be using ear protection.

I've also heard some that are painfully loud. Another reason I avoid them.
 
I stand corrected. After some probing around, it seems that studies/you are right.; my poor assumption was in it pushing clean air. It still goes against my sense though. I don't use them anyway- it's paper towels for me.

Good call.
I like the Step-N-Pull
 
The power door openers for limited mobility people are also useful. I just press the button with something other than my hand (elbow, jacket sleeve, right cheek...).
 
I think I'd worry about public transportation equally as much as public restrooms.

Seems like the majority of the cases are in big cities and most big cities have public transportation. I often wonder if there's sanitizing going on in public places and the public transportation that's being used on a daily basis at the end of business days.
 
Seems like the majority of the cases are in big cities and most big cities have public transportation. I often wonder if there's sanitizing going on in public places and the public transportation that's being used on a daily basis at the end of business days.
I saw news footage of the transit staff in Vancouver, BC swamping out the buses with bleach.
 
On Tuesday I saw a video of a subway car on the New York subway at 5 in the morning and it was standing room only
 
And here I thought that I was the only one who thought of the washroom issues.I work/worked on the road.
 
Back
Top Bottom