• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A McIntosh Tube Lover's Dream Combo

Register to hide this ad
Way out of my pay grade, but nice. The sys I serviced recently consisted of a consecutively numbered pair of MC75s originally with a C22 (not in use) and an MR71, also not in use. No o'scope tho, there's also an MC240, MX110 and C24 with a larger SS integrated McIntosh something. Obviously a satisfied repeat customer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Beyond my pay grade as well but the asking price is certainly within reason:

I've seen MC 275 in similar condition make $7,800 and that did not have the Genelex (originals), nor all original Telefunken driver tubes - let alone the tube boxes. So on a bad day this MC 275 should be worth $6,500 alone.

This C22 looks spectacular for one of those; figure another $3,500 easy.

There's $10K right there before the MR 71 and MI 2 not to mention the three L12 slant leg cabinets and manuals.

Would be the icing on the cake were all the original boxes present.

I'd say this lot will move quickly.
 
I struggle to get a read on this guy. I have followed a few of his auctions and they all have a similar sketchy vibe. Also, where is Clearwater Lake USA? He has something I need by frankly am a little skeptical about bidding.
 
Jeez, that C22 sure looks like a Marantz 7C clone. Looks like the same transformer, layout....

Nice photos.
 
Jeez, that C22 sure looks like a Marantz 7C clone. Looks like the same transformer, layout.....

Yep. McIntosh blatantly copied not only the Marantz 7 circuit, but the general layout as well. Marantz being a smaller company had not patented or registered their design.

Marantz used a thicker black turret board with silver plated terminals, aluminum chassis (impervious to corrosion), discrete fully defeatable tone controls and 2 watt Mil-Spec Clarostat potentiometers. All absent in the McIntosh version.

Additionally, the tubes in the Marantz are suspended with rubber mounts to reduce microphony...
 
First I've heard of that! MI-2 has a completely different front panel, lacks panlocs, and are rare as hens teeth. IMHO, it's the sexiest of the three indicator units mc produced.
 
Back
Top Bottom