• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A New RCM Build.

Yep.. that's the one I'm looking for. My wife had checked at our target last time she was there and they didn't have one, so I need to stop in to the wal-mart..
 
I have the "Earlier" version (Yard sale $5) and since it is a wet vac, it has a ball valve that is supposed to keep the motor from sucking water when it is full, OR WHEN IT FALLS ON ITS SIDE. (Emphasis added) so if you have planned on using one mounted sideways, it won't work or it won’t work safely (Ball removed?)

The drawer in your pic looks short.

You might be able to get a canister type upright at a thrift, and gut it to just the suction engine. Then connect that to a separate collection canister, preferably with a ball stop to plug it when full.

Or you can nod the drawer top area to have a hole for the vac to set in. This would also solve the venting issue as the vac expels out of the top section.
 
Thanks for the info.. a few good tips.. I'll have to measure the drawer.. I do have another vac I can use, but I would have to make a catch can. I plan on doing more than an album or two at a time, so I would worry about collecting too much water in one sitting and it getting into the motor... I'll have to think this out and research it a little bit more..
 
my homemade RCM uses this very shop vac.


Sorry to tell ya, but I put it inside an old Realistic 5b cab I had, and it's still loud as hell. I have some shooting range headphones I use while vacuuming. It's that loud.

good luck, similost.
 
Similost, you must have a great set up (and more than a bit of experience) to do all that welding and cutting. I'm pretty sure mine will have to count on quite a bit more wood. How did you cut the metal and such?
 
my homemade RCM uses this very shop vac.


Sorry to tell ya, but I put it inside an old Realistic 5b cab I had, and it's still loud as hell. I have some shooting range headphones I use while vacuuming. It's that loud.

good luck, similost.

I have a household vacuum I can use, but I also picked up a air matress inflator. It can both "suck" and "blow". How much suction do you really need? I thought this little guy might be just the ticket. Small enough to go in a housing without too much fuss and not enough suction to get me in trouble.
 
Well that sucks to hear the vac is that loud... I do have a really quiet speed queen canister, maybe I'll consider that and a catch can.. :scratch2:

Yes Eddie, I am set up to work with metal. I've got an oxy-acet torch and a miller mig welder on a bottle...

I used to do a lot of welding, and was going to get into doing functional art (furniture, lamps, and such) but my lazyness kept it from happening. I still putz around with it alittle, but I just don't have time to do the things I really want since we moved out to this area..
 
also, the suction is so great that I've had to make my nozzle swiss cheese, after realizing that I was leaving great circular scratches on my lps. EGAD!!

Still, they were clean as hell! Just now with extra scratches.

I figure if you can barely turn the album (my rcm is manual as hell, I rotate albums with my fingers on the dead Sony platter) and the suction actually lifts the album up, it is too much force.

Still working towards a better contact with the record. At Walcrap, they have an extra nozzle head for about 3 bucks. It is for cleaning upholstery, and has two runs of semisoft feltlike stuff. I'd rather have true felt or something, but I've yet to figure out how to keep it stuck on there.
 
Looks really cool, eager to see how it turns out.

This may be a dumb question but if this is an AC motor can you just use a transformer to step down the available voltage instead of rheostat?
 
Yeah.. I could use a transformer I guess.. If I know what I needed and how to wire it.. I figured a knob would be easiest, and then that way I could also vary the speed to what I wanted...

hhhmm.. interesting to hear how much suction this vac has.. I will be using PVC pipe with a slit cut in it. Maybe I'll have to vent it a little down the line.. I'll figure it out I'm sure..

I got the shelf cut out last night. Now I just need to get the motor plate bolted to it. Was too tired to drill out the plate last night.. I'll probably be mounting it Friday night (will add pictures then) and then hopefully over the weekend get the vacuum arm added, then try to find a vac, but in the mean time I have a couple others I can use.
 
I still think the air matress inflator might be a good way to go. It sounds like a regular vacuum has way more power than needed and it's just additional space and noise. I see the inflators at the thrift store all the time for next to nothing. Just a thought.
 
I'm not worried about too much suction or scratches on the albums. I've got some velore type material that came with a cleaning kit to replace what is on the cleaning pads. They have the sticky tape on the back that I will be lining the PVC pipe with.. SO.. that will prevent scratches, get in the grooves, and allow some space for suction to escape... and LOTS of suction can only be a good thing I would imagine..
 
Scratches are a matter of vac head control more than anything else. I'm using my 1 gal Shop-Vac at full power and a head I made myself with paint edger replacements as the padding cushion. The only drawback to the edger is it sheds a tiny bit so its wearing out as I go but it’s a cheap and easy replacement.

I don’t remember if I linked my build, here it is:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104568
 
Hmm, scratches from the vacuuming tool...I glued velvet ribbon onto the tool and slit it. No problems. Never a scratch in hundreds of record cleanings. I do clean the velvet in between cleaning sessions and after especially dirty records.
The velvet ribbon feels similar to the material on MoFi brushes.

One warning though, true audiophile grade velvet ribbon is blue. Don't buy the green stuff; it's toxic to records.





J/K:D
 
There's these. Not dirt cheap, but I'm pretty sure you get two packages (2 pair) in total, so $7 bucks a pair. I think one pair lasted me a good #500 sides.
 
So simi

keep those plans and pics a commin.

I just bought my 4 dollar bread machine yesterday, need to get started.

Was at a SPCA store, marked 8 bucks but it was 'snap' day-snap your fingers and get half off.

Almost hate to rip it apart, looks never used. Oh well I hear carbs are bad for you......
 
Back
Top Bottom