aj_chicago
Spin 'em if ya got 'em
Yes, Bruno, that "Best Three Turntables for Beginners" article is just another biased opinion of someone who may not even be aware of vintage turntables. I posted that "tongue in cheek," as a joke, thus the wink. Maybe I should have made it more clear. I totally agree with Van_Isle that vintage is the way to go. They just don't build them with the materials and quality that they used to. And Thorens is a good one, but not necessarily *thee* one. And...... they (Thorens) do not have an automatic, multi-play model. Oh no! Lol. I would spend 200 - 250 eur (or much less for Dual) on a Dual or Technics or Thorens and save the rest for a nice vintage receiver. There are several Thorens TD160s and TD165s (automatic, single play, belt drive), as well as several Dual 701's (automatic, single-play, direct drive), 1229s (automatic, idler wheel drive, multi-play) out on eBay Germany now, and all within your budget. There is one Dual 701 (which are *highly regarded* by the Dual experts on this forum and VinylEngine) that looks like it only needs a steuerpimpel replacement (easily done). I wish I could bid on it. I don't have a 701 in my collection. It is sitting at EUR 45,50 and ends Thursday.