• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

A Poll how far do you sit from your speakers

How far do you sit from your speakers in your main system

  • less then 6'

    Votes: 62 12.5%
  • 6' or more

    Votes: 74 14.9%
  • 7' or more

    Votes: 62 12.5%
  • 8' or more

    Votes: 129 26.0%
  • 10' or more

    Votes: 88 17.7%
  • 12' or more

    Votes: 51 10.3%
  • 14' or more

    Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 16' or more

    Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 18' or more

    Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20' or more

    Votes: 9 1.8%

  • Total voters
    497
If and when I sit I form an equalateral triangle with my speakers which are 10 feet apart, so now I have to do some trigonometry to figure out the exact dimension of where I would be sitting in relation to theplane of the speakers... :scratch2:


...OK, got it! It's 8.66 feet :banana:
 
If and when I sit I form an equalateral triangle with my speakers which are 10 feet apart, so now I have to do some trigonometry to figure out the exact dimension of where I would be sitting in relation to theplane of the speakers... :scratch2:


...OK, got it! It's 8.66 feet :banana:

OK but your 10 feet away from the speakers correct?
 
12' away with the speakers 7 1/2' apart.

You should edit the question to make sure people are measuring the same. I measured from the speaker to my seating position. Some might be measuring from the middle of the speakers to the seating position which would make the measurement slightly shorter.
 
True, there will be a difference between the side and height of the triangle, but probably not much more than foot, and probably less in most cases.
 
7ft to my ears about 6ft apart. Less than ideal until I move which will hopefully be soon. Where I have my home theater would almost be perfect
about twice as far in the living room. But not really do-able.
 
Speakers 5 ft. apart (center to center distance), and I sit about 6 or 7 ft. back. There's about ten feet of room behind me, but only 1.5 ft of room behind the speakers. At least they don't have walls crowding them on either side.
 
My speakers are in each corner and the room is 12 by 22.I sit by my computer desk right in the middle.
Joe
 
about 5 feet apart.. about 3 feet from each.. (computer desk and small room) :scratch2:
several of you have HUGE rooms!
 
Rarely do I sit in a predetermined, optimal (for SQ) position & just listen; it's on, I'm moving about the room & house fixing & fussing, etc., so angle & distance vary a lot.
 
Rarely do I sit in a predetermined, optimal (for SQ) position & just listen; it's on, I'm moving about the room & house fixing & fussing, etc., so angle & distance vary a lot.

me also, cept when I'm at the computer where I listen to a pair of modified Minimus 7s in an almost nearfield distance.
 
speakers are about 7' center and I'm 9' back

Soundstage and imaging is excellent for this room which is 13'8"X19'
 
My set up is a lot like ChadnLiz':
  • Speakers are 10 feet apart
  • Four feet in front of the rear wall
  • two and a half feet from the sidewalls
  • And, according to my MCACC circuit on my AVR, 11.5 feet from my listening position. Actually, it's 11 feet 7 inches according to my tape measure, but I figure that's a pretty accurate system for dtermining speaker locations)
I suspect our gear is different, but it is laid out similarly.
 
OK but your 10 feet away from the speakers correct?

Yes! 10 feet from the left speaker, 10 feet from the right speaker, so by the rules of trig I'm 8.66 from the plane of the speaker soundstage.

I guess the question is interesting in a sense that in a triangle formed by the listener and two speakers there is a distance to each speaker (which is the same if one sits on the centerline about which the speakers are placed), and there is a distance to the plane on which the speakers are placed, and that distance is always less than the distance to the speakers (again, providing that the sitting position is on the centerline between the speakers).

As trig would have it the hypotenuse is always longer than either of the other legs of a right angle triangle. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom