• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Acarian Alon IV vs JBL L112 and KEF 105.2

Register to hide this ad
I haven't heard that JBL model, but I had Alon II's and KEF 105.4's.

The Alon is a more audiophile type speaker, and has a higher ceiling sonically if you have the right gear, room, and placement. I couldn't get my Alon II's to reach their potential in my room - couldn't get far enough from the back wall and I have too many reflective surfaces.

The KEF will be more forgiving and sound a bit more vintage (warmer), but still sounds quite good. Would also benefit from a crossover recap, etc.

If you can buy the Alons for a price that would enable you to try them out and resell if they don't perform well in your environment, I'd definitely give it a try - they could be the last speaker you own.
 
Also, if the IV's are like my II's were, they use foam for the woofers. If they haven't been reformed, they will need to be done. I had mine for many years and one day they just started falling apart.
 
I got the Alon IV, very happy with it, they have been re-foamed by the dealer before selling. This particular unit was a demo unit, it was stored in the warehouse and was forgotten. It was recently been discovered after cleaning the warehouse. Sadly the grills were never found
 
I feel the Alon is a more refined and better sounding unit. Your money buys more product with Alon than with JBL in the current vintage mad market.
 
I had some 105 II's awhile back and didn't find them remarkable in any way beyond looking cool. They had just fine specs and power handling, nothing really unique about that -- but the neat thing about them only was their mid and tweeter direction adjustability and the red stereo LED inside each unit that helped you aim the stereo image.

The woofer cone is heavy and can make the spider sag in this model.
 
I had the KEF 105.2 and currently own tJBL l112. Alon IV beats the KEF and JBL by a big margin :)
 
Back
Top Bottom