• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Accuphase E-202 vs Modern Integrateds

renli3d

Active Member
Hello fellow AK'ers,

I'm wondering if anyone has had both an Accuphase E-202 and modern integrateds? My E-202 has a bad channel and I was wondering if I should restore the whole thing or simply buy a NAD M3? In your experience, have you found the vintage E-202 outclassed by today's offerings?

I'm not sure because when my Accuphase P-300 was working it sounded noticeably better than my modern Pioneer Elite SC-37 for two channel listening.

Thanks guys!
 
Register to hide this ad
I also have a troublesome E-202, but when it IS working it is heads and shoulders above other control amps I have (Pioneer, Sony, Sansui, etc.) of the same era. As for modern integrateds, I would only hazard a guess that, in good nick, it would be equal or better than most. It is a seriously good piece of gear, and well worth refurbishing. (Interestingly, I went at mine recently, replacing the power relay, cleaning up the contacts on the boards, using deoxit in the sockets, etc. Nothing technical at all, but it is now working much better. However, it still needs a good going over to bring it back to spec.)
 
I owned a E-202 back in 79' and sold it in 85'. Always sorry I did. I have a Pioneer Elite A-71 now that I dearly love, and wish someone near by had a E-202 as I would love to compare them. The Pioneer has a smooth and deep overall presentation, and a great phono section. But man, I still miss those classy Accuphase power meters ( and of course that dynamite sound too! )
 
I would send or dive that Acuphase to EchoWars at the first opportunity to get it fixed. These are great integrateds.
 
I had one and loved it. I have also had many newer amps. The E-202 does show it's age. It is not the equal of the newer, good quality integrated amps. Doesn't mean there isn't a lot to love there. Accuphase learned a lot over the 10 years after the E-202 was introduced, and I think their 80's gear is of much higher sound quality. Some of the 80's vintage Accuphase gear are lifetime pieces.
 
I have an e-303x that I love and have heard the M3. The M3 is sonically the equal of my restored 303x (full recap). The amp section of the 303x is fantastic, preamp gives up a bit to newer stuff. They're similar by my guess, though I've never had them in the same system. I've not heard the 202. What I've read suggests its a bit more "vintage" sounding than the 303. Which would be better or worse depending on what you're after. Regardless, the M3 is an excellent integrated amp.
 
I had one and loved it. I have also had many newer amps. The E-202 does show it's age. It is not the equal of the newer, good quality integrated amps. Doesn't mean there isn't a lot to love there. Accuphase learned a lot over the 10 years after the E-202 was introduced, and I think their 80's gear is of much higher sound quality. Some of the 80's vintage Accuphase gear are lifetime pieces.
The E-202 is a great piece, but I tend to think of it as having the sonic signature of 70's gear. The 80's brought with them a different sort of sound, across the board. So my ears tell me at any rate. As 70's pieces go the E-202 is right up at the top of the heap. While part of the difference is in improved quality due to a big learning curve I also think there was a difference in intention as well perhaps?

Having said the above, I have no intention of letting go of my E-202. Love it for what it is and how it puts the music across. Mine is next on the re-cap list along with my CA-1010.
 
That's a great point, that maybe the E202 was designed to give that 70's sound. Perhaps my question should be centered on which sound I'm looking for and you guys can tell me which decade to look to.

I prefer not a completely flat freq response but one that is biased toward the midrange; both lower and upper midrange so that vocals come through clearly with all the texture, depth and emotion of a live performance. I prefer bass that stays in the background with just enough bass to fill out the sound so the music doesn't sound tinny. I like a strong upper range so that instruments have good attack, decay and immediacy but not so detailed that I can hear every detail that one wasn't meant to hear. You know, the type of revealing details that make mp3s sound poor. I suppose one could say I like my music to sound musical. :)

So which decade encompasses the qualities I so desire?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
 
I have an E202. IMO, the switchable damping factor is a key feature and makes the sound as close to tubes as you are going to get in the SS world. Have it re-capped and restored.
 
That's a great point, that maybe the E202 was designed to give that 70's sound. Perhaps my question should be centered on which sound I'm looking for and you guys can tell me which decade to look to.

I prefer not a completely flat freq response but one that is biased toward the midrange; both lower and upper midrange so that vocals come through clearly with all the texture, depth and emotion of a live performance. I prefer bass that stays in the background with just enough bass to fill out the sound so the music doesn't sound tinny. I like a strong upper range so that instruments have good attack, decay and immediacy but not so detailed that I can hear every detail that one wasn't meant to hear. You know, the type of revealing details that make mp3s sound poor. I suppose one could say I like my music to sound musical. :)

So which decade encompasses the qualities I so desire?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
I wouldn't say the E-202 isn't pretty flat in response, but the qualities you describe wanting it would provide beautifully. I too agree that the variable damping can be useful as well in tailoring the sound to the speakers in use and to taste. I'd be restoring the one you have if it were me.
 
Keep the 202 as-is and set it aside. Buy a new integrated and enjoy the modern features like a remote and maybe even a built-in DAC. Down the road when you have more 'fun money' get the 202 restored, then you have both.
 
Keep the 202 as-is and set it aside. Buy a new integrated and enjoy the modern features like a remote and maybe even a built-in DAC. Down the road when you have more 'fun money' get the 202 restored, then you have both.
Remote? Good point I guess. Wouldn't have occurred to me as I barely use the ones for my CDPs. Just never crosses my mind.
 
Dam thats a Beautiful Amp, Both under the hood (look at the size of that Power Supply and Heat sinking) and the Faceplate/Meters.

I would definatly consider restoring the Accuphase. While I'm not familier with this Unit, After doing some research on their Amps, both Vintage and New, I quickly put Accuphase on my short list along with Krell and Bryston to find the most Transparent Amp in my price range. Even this older unit, I'll bet once restored will give that new NAD a run for it's money, and save you a bunch too.

Considering a New Integrated Amp can easily fetch $500 - $1,000 (not the one's mentioned above), If you can get this amp up and running for say under $500, I wouldn't think Twice. And this is coming from a guy who only buy's New, and generally recomend's New to others for the reasons Prisoners Mentions.
 
Last edited:
A proper rebuild will run at least $500, more if shipping is involved. Skilled labor isn't cheap and this is a heavy unit. I'm not saying it isn't worth doing, but don't consider it because you might think its the cheaper option.
 
If you choose to go with a New Integrated Amp, You might want to consider Bryston's B100SST. Audio Adviser has one for $3,000...thats $1,700 under list price because it has been replaced with the B135 SST2. The B100 SST is basicly 95% of the B135SST with the same 180 wpc output @ 4 ohms.

http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/B135.html

These are Transparent Amplifiers and will Faithfully Reproduce what ever you feed it. I can't say enough good things about this amp. Even at full list price, for me it was worth every Cent and is the Amp I've been looking for for 30 years. Check the Reviews yourself, I found it actually sounds better then the most optimistic review I have read. To fully appreciate it use it with a Good Clean Source and Highly Coherent Speakers and you will be rewarded.

Another Outstanding Brand is Magnum Dynalab. They sell some very good Certified Pre-owned Integrated Amps and Recievers for $1,500 - $2,000 with a Lifetime Service Policy (with I think a $75 deductable). They also have a Fine line of Hybred Integrated Amps, that provides Tube Warmth with the controll of Powerfull SS Amp in one package at prices I believe are closer to the Bryston Amps.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/integratedamplifiers/stereointegratedamplifiers.htm
 
Last edited:
A proper rebuild will run at least $500, more if shipping is involved. Skilled labor isn't cheap and this is a heavy unit. I'm not saying it isn't worth doing, but don't consider it because you might think its the cheaper option.
I'm wondering what current integrateds would be on the list for the kind of money it would cost to refurb an E-202? The only two that spring to my mind are from Yamaha and Onkyo. Neither has quite the output of the E-202, though I gather both are well made and sound very good indeed. I have not had the opportunity to hear either, so cannot comment on that aspect. I don't know what the power amp stage design is for the Yamaha, but the Onkyo is supposedly Class D. What other new integrateds would fill out the list for the $500 mentioned? Mind you, I could have the amp redone by my tech for considerably less than that.
 
If you can get it done locally for $500 then that sounds like a great option. I can't think of something I'd rather have for that money. I was including shipping and what I spent on my P-300, which was well worth the cost BTW. If the total cost of restoring a 202 runs closer to $1k I'd consider something new.
The Peachtree Decco65 for instance sounds really nice and has a built in DAC.
 
If you can get it done locally for $500 then that sounds like a great option. I can't think of something I'd rather have for that money. I was including shipping and what I spent on my P-300, which was well worth the cost BTW. If the total cost of restoring a 202 runs closer to $1k I'd consider something new.
The Peachtree Decco65 for instance sounds really nice and has a built in DAC.
I'm not sure what the OP's options are with regard to getting their E-202 rebuilt. The tech who does all of my work would charge me somewhere around $250-300 for the job, but i know that is on the low end. Long association and friendship will do that sometimes. I've not managed to hear most of the newer integrated amps as I already have a Yamaha CA-1010 and an E-202 and that is enough for me in that category for the moment hence not hunting for them. I did hear a Cambridge Audio unit a couple of weeks ago when I was auditioning a pair of speakers and was seriously unimpressed by it. Detailed but bland and flat was my impression and with a pair of speakers usually described as lively and dynamic. I had to get them hooked up to something else to be able to form a real impression. A few years ago I had an Arcam Alpha 5 that was much better than that even if only 45 w/ch. I have heard a few more upmarket pieces at a local dealer that were excellent (including the Magnum Dynalab), but they were way beyond the cost of getting an E-202 in good shape.
 
Thanks for all the responses! I just came across the yamaha a-s2000. This amp looks quite nice for the price. Anybody have any experience with it? My p300 has been in the shop since aug 2011 so I'm hesitant to send my e202 in for repair and go through that again. I do love the e202 though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
 
Back
Top Bottom