• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread

True, but I'm not sure I can trust my soldering of surface mounted parts either:lmao::lmao:

Believe me SMD soldering is easier than through hole, patience is the key.I use flux on adapter and pre tint them,then I hold SMD chip with adapter with metal clip.You just need to touch adapter's tinted pad and chip led at the same time for 2 seconds.After soldering both chips on adapter you need to solder adapter's legs.I mount its legs on DIP adapter then soldered on adapter.It hardly takes 15 mins for 2 pairs.

Regards,
Sachin
 

I still recommend these caps over Panasonic and Wima.They will certainly better than some exotic caps.I am using 1us and 10 uf Russion K73-16 caps in my B1 and they were huge upgrade over Axon caps.Ak member Murli is also using them in SSP and they are performing better than stock Panasonic 2.2uf PP caps http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=371889&page=104

Regards,
Sachin
 
For those not up to doing SM chip soldering, I wanted to repost this suggestion from many pages ago. Fast shipping, and I'll be finishing this stage up Monday after AXPONA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTERS-/190781133126?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D6078761495178433230%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D190752879139%26

I used those as well with no issues. I was willing to spend a little more and avoid the SM soldering. If I could see those little legs, I could solder them, but, I thought I would end up melting the whole thing.
 
For those not up to doing SM chip soldering, I wanted to repost this suggestion from many pages ago. Fast shipping, and I'll be finishing this stage up Monday after AXPONA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTERS-/190781133126?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D6078761495178433230%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D190752879139%26

I've purchased and used the same pre-mounted 49990s from the same seller WntrMute2 recommended and they work perfectly in this preamp.
 
I prefer to be a cheapskate and a daredevil! I second Sachin's suggestion though, use flux along with rosin-core solder, pre-tin the leads, and it's not too difficult. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to solder these though.
 
Thanx to gratuitous overuse in stupid cringe-fest reality TV the term "amazing" should probably retired, excepting for this AD797thingus, it is truely amazing!
For the first time the O'fon MC-20MkII on the PL-L1000 (!) , even at it's exceptionally low output level and 'Z', at last realizes something like its potential to my ears thanx largely to the ability to precisely properly load it and this device's non-intrusive utter transparency. Also I have now had to bite the bullet on a close-out special A-T OC9II as the DL-103M is obviously past it's tip life by sound and the Big Mitz LT-30 (and my half-deaf ears) deserve better. It's pretty much impossible at this point to go back to 'lesser' analogue performance from LPs after exposure to this, you really can't "keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Pay-reee". If this is what LOMCs are all about I'm pretty much sold.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the review Steve.

I think this stage gets out of the way and lets you hear what your source is capable of, but then again I may be biased.:D
 
Thanx to gratuitous overuse in stupid cringe-fest reality TV the term "amazing" should probably retired, excepting for this AD797thingus, it is truely amazing!
For the first time the O'fon MC-20MkII on the PL-L1000 (!) , even at it's exceptionally low output level and 'Z', at last realizes something like its potential to my ears thanx largely to the ability to precisely properly load it and this device's non-intrusive utter transparency. Also I have now had to bite the bullet on a close-out special A-T OC9II as the DL-103M is obviously past it's tip life by sound and the Big Mitz LT-30 (and my half-deaf ears) deserve better. It's pretty much impossible at this point to go back to 'lesser' analogue performance from LPs after exposure to this, you really can't "keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Pay-reee". If this is what LOMCs are all about I'm pretty much sold.

Congratulations. Sounds about like my experience when I connected mine up the first time -- amazement. That OC9II should be quite a treat through this phono stage.

I decided to charge my batteries for the first time last night. I hooked up the charger to the first one when I went to bed. When I got up 4 or 5 hours later to visit the facilities, the green light was on indicating it was done. Hooked up the other one, went back to sleep, and by the time I woke up, it was done as well. So about 4 hours per battery, and now they're sitting at 13.0V. I had run them down to a little over 12V in just under a month. So as long as I plan ahead enough to charge them overnight, it shouldn't interrupt my listening. I think these SLA's are perfect for this job. They sure last a long time on a charge.
 
Yeah, I wanted to be able to charge the batteries without having to watch over them to make sure they weren't overcharging/overheating. This charger has protection circuits, including reverse protection, so you can't overcharge. The charger senses when the battery if full and then switches to a maintenance trickle charge. Seemed worth the extra bucks.
 
So one the most beneficial changes component wise would be realized with the output caps? Like would it be worth using fancy Solens like THESE?
 
So one the most beneficial changes component wise would be realized with the output caps? Like would it be worth using fancy Solens like THESE?

This circuit will sound good with any caps.You can always try better caps. I suggest K73-16 Russion PETP caps over Solen http://www.ebay.com/itm/22uF-63V-PETP-Mylar-Capacitors-K7316-Lot-of-40-/200839101017 I am using them in my B1.There is a vast improvement in SQ.Earlier I was using AXOn true caps which is OEM for Solen.

Regards,
Sachin
 
Ok, I hate to bring the battery thing up again but noticed something strange this morning. I have been using mine a lot lately so I decided to check the batteries' voltage. I checked the first one and read 12.47 volts. Cool! They seem to be lasting as long as everyone said. Checked the second one and read 10.58 volts! :yikes: What's going on to cause such a difference? Bad battery? Everything seems to be working fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom