• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread

Mine are within .1v also, whether charged or not, maybe a bad battery.

Try charging them again, if possible use a 12v charger to get them both at the same voltage.

If you know someone with one. :D
 
Last edited:
Mine are within .1v also, whether charged or not, maybe a bad battery.

Try charging them again, if possible use a 12v charger to get them both at the same voltage.

If you know someone with one. :D

Will do. Ordering the smart 12v charger mentioned previously on Amazon. Is it still ok to use until charger shows up on Saturday?
 
You don't want to use it below 10.58. Any 12v charger will do to bring it back up as long as you keep an eye on the charge.
 
You don't want to use it below 10.58. Any 12v charger will do to bring it back up as long as you keep an eye on the charge.

Ok. Just got back from Walmart and picked up a smart 12v charger for $20. Working so far. Will keep an eye on it.
 
The Schumacher charger from Walmart was able to charge them up to within .1 volts of each other. I played one lp and rechecked the voltage. They are sitting at 12.63 and 12.54 and holding for over 3 hours now. I guess it is wait and see now. Better yet, back to listening!
 
I have been using mine for a couple of weeks since charging them with the 24v scooter charger, they read 12.43v & 12.42v.
 
The Schumacher charger from Walmart was able to charge them up to within .1 volts of each other. I played one lp and rechecked the voltage. They are sitting at 12.63 and 12.54 and holding for over 3 hours now. I guess it is wait and see now. Better yet, back to listening!

It may be a good idea to try the suspect battery in the opposite position of the wire harness, or set up your VOM between the preamp and the battery to see if your current draw is different on one side than the other.
 
What happened to that LED wiring diagram? Can't seem to find it either here or on B-town. I must be going crazy.

You ARE crazy. :D Post #159 on the BT thread. I'll repost the image here for you:

BatteryLED.jpg
 
I just realized I have 2 different OP amps for OA 3/4. LME 49710NA as well as AD 797ANZ. Is one recommended over the other or are they interchangeable? Thanks.
 
I just realized I have 2 different OP amps for OA 3/4. LME 49710NA as well as AD 797ANZ. Is one recommended over the other or are they interchangeable? Thanks.

The best op amps for the output stage (OA 3/4) IMO are the LME49990's, the LME 49710 will work as will the AD797, you need to have them both the same though as they have different specs and sound signatures.
 
Sorry, the above post should have read OA 1 & 2. I have the LME49990s in OA 3&4.

I just realized I have 2 different OP amps for OA1/2. LME 49710NA as well as AD 797ANZ. Is one recommended over the other or are they interchangeable? Thanks.
 
I designed this stage around the AD797, it's far better in those spots than the LME49710 or even the LME49990's for that matter.
 
After all my problems (laid out here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6581846&postcount=94), Phillip set me straight and was VERY kind to send me the correct PCB boards to mount the LME49990 on. Mouser has the slowest processing and ship time of any company every and I FINALLY got some replacement opamps the other day. I took my time this afternoon, soldered the opamps (pre-tinning the legs and using some flux makes this extremely easy), installed them, fired it up, turned on the power and, once again, ZERO noise. Well, damn, I must have screwed something else up. Oh yeah, I didn't have any vinyl spinning. Put on some Chet Atkins and immediately got some of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard. This thing is fully operational and damn fine sounding.

I know that a few have tried power supplies and not had good results. Some have been adamant that you have to use batteries. Rechargable SLA batteries seem to be all the rage with this new build. However, I had previously built Omishra's power supply (OPS), with it set at 10V to run my SSP/Lightspeed preamp, and a +/G/- supply for (previously) my MM CNC build. I opened up the power supply, set the trimmers with a multimeter to +13/-13V and I'm using an XLR cable as my umbilical. This thing ROCKS. Zero noise (I had to turn the volume to near 5 o'clock to hear even a hint of hiss). I'll repeat that. ZERO NOISE. Sachin and Omishra will be proud. I have zero desire to recharge or monitor batteries and this supply is as quiet as any battery supply I've ever used. OK, enough preaching.

Thanks to HypnoToad for the boards and support. Thanks to BillyK for the twisted/shielded hookup wire for this build. Another project completed. :yes:

ad797inside.jpg

ad797back.jpg
 
Great build, glad you got it working.

And a testament to Omishra and Sachin with the OPS, give it a week or two to burn in for it to sound it's best.

What did you use to make the hole for the XLR socket?
 
Last edited:
Nice build Joel.OPS performs just like batteries with added advantage of adjustable output voltage.

Regards,
Sachin
 
Back
Top Bottom