• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Adjusting DC Offset on Technics sa 400

Okay, thank you for the tip. I got both transistor pairs in and offset is 50-55 on both channels. Is there anything else I should do or should I leave it

Hello. This pict is from a Technics SA-400, I managed to lower the DC offset adding 2 resistors in parallel. It was some years ago and I don't find notes about that mod, but check if you can identify those resistors (next to the differential pair), adding some resistors in parallel to reduce the resistance will lower the DC offset.

Of course ask here before proceeding.

P1140768.JPG
 
Try fastening this grounding point with a screw..
View attachment 2154080
I really wish this was the end, but after testing for a little bit today, the left channel very rarely would come out and in. The same thing is happening in the headphone amp... Regardless of the balance being all the way on the right, there is a faint garbling sound coming from the left channel. Is it most likely the new transistors?
 
Is it most likely the new transistors?
Could be dirty switches or controls or protect relay contacts. Try quickly cranking the volume control way up to 12 or 1 o'clock then back to a normal listening level. See if the left channel comes back in.
 
Could be dirty switches or controls or protect relay contacts. Try quickly cranking the volume control way up to 12 or 1 o'clock then back to a normal listening level. See if the left channel comes back in.
Nope, I’ve made sure all the preamp controls are clean. It’s not so much the typical symptom of dirty controls where the channel cuts in and out, its that I can hear a garbling noise only on the left channel that gets louder with the volume. Can I tell if the protect relay contacts are dirty while in the receiver or do I have to take it out? And also I made sure there wasn’t a short with the solder on the four transistors I put in...
 
Did you disassemble and properly clean the switches ?
I haven’t disassembled them, but I throughly cleaned them. I was trying to upload a video so you can see; the garbling sound on the left channel does not change due to volume level. No matter how many times I press one of the buttons it won’t affect the sound.
 
If you didn't disassemble then you didn't thoroughly clean them..
Okay... that took a while. I got every switch and pot out and disassembled to clean. Popped everything back in... and the issue is still there. Where should I look now
 
The issue is really inconsistent still, I I can’t tell if tapping the protect relay temporarily fixed the problem or it just came in and out on its own
It could also be a cold solder connection on the board that the relay is soldered to.
 
It could also be a cold solder connection on the board that the relay is soldered to.
Do you know if q201 or 206 is for the left channel? By moving both speakers to remote and main on just the right side there is no issue. I’ve narrowed it down to something wrong with the transistor pair
 
Just to report my experience with trying to reduce DC offset on an SA-400 I picked up at an estate sale. It was in excellent condition, just some scratchy pots/switches which cleaned up well with Deoxit. Offsets measured 60/55 mV on L/R channels so I thought I'd try to lower that by paralleling resistors on R613 and R614 as Elnado suggested. I was able to get it down to 0/8 mV by adding 560 ohms in parallel. The original resistors in the SA400 are 330 ohms (from schematic and measured), so the parallel combo gave about 210 ohms resistance. It seemed a nice improvement and I thought I was done.

But then I started noticing the output would start to cut in/out on one or both channels especially at very low volume setting (within 4 clicks of the bottom), sort of like a dirty contact. This often happened immediately after switching on, but also could be triggered by toggling low and high filter switches and sometimes loudness. Switching them would cause the level to randomly cut in or out with each switch. Wiggling the volume control to higher level would clear it up, then toggling the switches would trigger it again. Also powering off/on would cause both channels to stay quiet after relays clicked in, until the volume was wiggled. Or if I waited several seconds, one channel volume would gradually fade in. Changing Balance did would not have any affect.

Of course I figured this was due to still dirty switches or volume pot (although it didn't really make sense that wiggling the volume would fix dirty filter switches) so I Deox'd the bejubus out of them, even removed the volume pot from the board and and really doused it. None of this fixed it. I traced the signal thru and found there was no signal loss actually occuring until after the volume control, somewhere around the first PA diff transistors. Poking around that area (Q601/2, R613/614, etc) with a chop stick would cause the signal to drop in/out as it had with the filter controls. Of course this is also where the extra resistors were added. I removed the resistors and voila, no more dropouts. I assume the lowered resistance in the current mirror leg was causing a larger current flow, and making the diff pair and/or other components sensitive to "signal shock" from switching the filters, etc. At least that's my theory. Possibly the Tr's or R's are fatiguing after 45 years, but I'm tired of chasing the bug so didn't investigate further.

So hopefully this helps someone else to avoid several hours of hair pulling in a similar situation. If you add the Offset compensation resistors and begin having audio level dropouts, remove them and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Tom
 
Try fastening this grounding point with a screw..
View attachment 2154080
Now that's where another set of eyes ( especially someone that is obvious attentive and thorough) can be so helpful. I often get so fixated on a problem I will get tunnel vision and overlook things that I would probably catch immediately if I stepped away and came back later. Grounding and ground loops and shielding etc...issues can seem deceptively simple yet can be so troublesome. That is why I stick to the tried and true- I hire a witch doctor!
Heh heh. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom