• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L710 - I joined the ADS Club

Why did you not jump on that newly refurbished pair on cl? I sent you the link 3 hours after he posted them, ya might have still had a shot at em.

I did. He had them sold before I could get there. That's why I'm trying to get you and the Maggie twins into the pickup for a short ride to a barbeque at the Magical Porkloin Listening Parlor with a few other AK'rs
 
Congrats! Nice model to start the ADS addiction!
Lets see more pics of the cabs and their condition.
Glenn
Hey there Glenn, hi.
Isn't the l710 the holy Grail?
Maybe I'm thinking of the 910?
Anyway a moment ago I saw the 710s on reverb I think, I definitely saw some listed for 1500 somewhere.
By the way, I'm now doing some research on these because I closed a deal on a pair but the rubber surrounds have been replaced with foam.
They were listed for 400 by preacher locally but he went down to 250 asking price.
Like scuffs on cabinets but apparently he wants equipment maybe I'll give him some rebuilt klh6 or I have some Radio shack Optimus sevens.
What do you think these might be worth? I mean the 710s?
 
Hey Jim,

L710 prices are all over the place. 1,500 is way too much. For a pair in excellent condition, 5-600 tops. Needing work 150-200. Holy grail is in the eye of the beholder, but the 910s, 1530s, 1590s, L980s and obviously the 2030s are the most coveted in my opinion. Keep the Six’s, move the Optimus Sevens.

Glenn
 
Hello -- I am curious about the comparison between L810 and L710. I have heard over and over again that L710 are more balanced, whereas L810s are boomy with too much bass. Here is my question: I own a pair of L810 with the cloth (not metal) grilles and, lifted about six inches off the ground, I don't find them boomy at all. But I have never heard a pair of L710, and certainly have not A/B tested them against one another. I do own a pair of L1290 and find them excellent, but honestly -- for listening to jazz, I prefer the L810. So what do you think: am I just crazy wrong or are there others out there who prefer the L810?
 
Hello -- I am curious about the comparison between L810 and L710. I have heard over and over again that L710 are more balanced, whereas L810s are boomy with too much bass. Here is my question: I own a pair of L810 with the cloth (not metal) grilles and, lifted about six inches off the ground, I don't find them boomy at all. But I have never heard a pair of L710, and certainly have not A/B tested them against one another. I do own a pair of L1290 and find them excellent, but honestly -- for listening to jazz, I prefer the L810. So what do you think: am I just crazy wrong or are there others out there who prefer the L810?
Room size is key. I have a 15 X 25 living room that the 810s do a much better job at filling it up. I've had both in the same room and it wasn't a contest. The owner of the 710s hasthem in a very small loft room just this side of nearfield listeniing and they're fine there.
 
Thanks Porkloin -- that's what I figured as well. I have them in a very large room with high ceilings. Good to know the L710s are better in smaller rooms!
 
I picked up some L710a models with drivers dated 1974. They were a bit boomy and I felt changing the 100uf 35v woofer caps reading 115uf might do the trick. A guy who rebuilds these recommended 2-50 electrolytics in parallel--a reasonable suggestion. I put them in and they were even more boomy. I noticed ADS went to a 90uf cap in later models. Might that solve my problem? Should I consider a polypropylene cap? Any particular brand for either type? Thanks
 
If you have replaced the original cap with new then it probably isn't the caps. Are the 50uF cap a non polar type? Using a 90uF wouldn't change the crossover behavior very much. Might be hard to fit a 90 or 100uF film cap. Is the cabinet stuffing still full? What amplifier are you using? What speakers are your reference to which you compare them? Just a few questions to start the conversation as boominess can be from several causes or perceptions.
Johh
 
Posters here have varying levels of audio exposure. I don't know whether your a rookie or veteran.

Boominess as stated above can be for a few reasons. Besides music genre, recording sound quality and synergy with associated gear. Room shape, size, room Accoustics. A big thing is, speaker placement to boundaries. Distance from walls, corners and floor. Speaker stands? Seating position. Your perceptions. Where are your amps tone controls set?
I have L880s which I wouldn't call boomy if placed normally. I've read some AKers describe L810s as boomy. While others deny so.
Never heard L710s.
 
Last edited:
I put the speakers on my contemporary system running octave amps, feeding a very clean signal. Room is about 15ft wide x 30 deep and well treated. Proacs, Dynaudios and even Dynaco A25's all dialed in with and without Rel subs and sound great in the room. I also tried with a couple solid state amps, getting the same results. The 710s with the original cap measuring 15% over the 100uf spec sound great but a bit boomy. The 2 50s measured 110uf new. I guess that's the 10% factor. They are non polar electrolytic caps. Again, using them made the boomyness too great and I put the originals back in. The original yellow fiberglass is in there, filling the box properly. There seems to be room for a large polypropylene cap if necessary. I enclosed a photo of the crossover and model as labeled. Thanks again.
 

Attachments

  • 20220428_181411.jpg
    20220428_181411.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220508_150257.jpg
    20220508_150257.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
Do you have any way to measure the system Q to see what the TS alignment may be? That might give you an idea of what to expect from them.
 
Bumping this thread.

A guy on CL had a pair of L710a's for free, They had been is his garage for a while. Tweeters were blown, woofers need re-foaming. Still, these were once terrific speakers. Let's get to work.

I bring them home, put them in the workshop, and here's problem #1: THEY STINK. I mean, they smell awful. I remove the two woofers on one speaker and see the problem: It seems several squirrels had been living there for quite some time. (German squirrel vacation?) So I've removed the insulation from that speaker and tossed it, threw in some bleach, sprayed some Febreze, and I'm ready to see if the infestation had reached the other speaker.

I'll keep you posted.
 
So here's a thing. Everyone upthread has reported there's one 100uF cap in these things. Here's mine; 2 50uF's, each wired separately. Clues? Can I replace them with one 100uF?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom